Four Closer Strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Closer Strategy?

I've read here and there about roto teams sometimes using four closers (of nine P slots)...
    I know it depends on who specifically we're talking about, but in general terms, which way might you lean? A fourth lower tier $5 closer or a dollar dayz end of auction starter?

Competitive 15-team mixed, standard $260, 23-man, 5x5, 2 catchers. Keep 10 format.

Unless I have 5 strong starters, I'd want a 6th. Otherwise, I'd expect to be middle of the pack in W and K.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

It's really difficult to give a definitive answer to this question. So many variables can change the dynamics of an auction while it is taking place. I usually don't have an auction strategy other than to stay alert for bargains on my targeted players and pay attention to other managers needs and tendencies so you know which players you can bid up without getting stuck with one that you don't want. And occasionally i'll overbid if i feel that the need is great enough.

My 13 team mixed league over-values closers and there are usually about a dozen closers taken as cheap keepers. So even the worst ones go for $10 or more at the auction. If i get a 4th closer it's usually via trade or mid-season free agent pickup when a new guy takes over the ninth inning for his team. Sometimes i will settle for two closers at the auction and try to add one or two more later in the season. So, for me personally i'm probably looking at the dollar days SP4/SP5 types at the end of the auction.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
        Unless I have 5 strong starters, I'd want a 6th. Otherwise, I'd expect to be middle of the pack in W and K.
        Agree. I'm in a daily league and i always have an extra SP or two on my four player bench.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Depends also on league dynamics (trading in particular). I think it would be tough to pull off.

Comment

I think that it's something to consider...you have a good chance to win 3 pitching categories outright (saves, WHIP, ERA), but you could finish so low in wins and K's to effectively neuter the strategy. And if you have mediocre starters, you could end up tanking the WHIP and ERA. Really delicate line to walk.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I think that it's something to consider...you have a good chance to win 3 pitching categories outright (saves, WHIP, ERA), but you could finish so low in wins and K's to effectively neuter the strategy. And if you have mediocre starters, you could end up tanking the WHIP and ERA. Really delicate line to walk.
              And most importantly, if the closer position holds true to form, you won't go long with four closers. You'll likely have only one or two left by mid-season, and then you're absolutely toast.

Conversely, assuming it all works out and your closers stay healthy and effective (an impossible-sized assumption), if you've got four closers in an AL/NL only, you've only left eleven closers for eleven owners, which means you should have an insurmountable lead in saves by mid-season. At this point, you could quite easily trade one of those closers for two starters. Do that twice and you'll have enough saves coming in to maintain your lead in saves against anyone, and you'll be able to play the second-half with a full compliment of starters.

Not sure I would ever do this, just because of the volatility of closers (and pitchers in general), but I could see how -if everything goes as planned- it could work well.

Comment

I'll let you know how it goes! I'm going into my season with Chapman, Allen, Britton, and Dyson. Yes it's a mixed league, don't know how I ended up with 4 in the AL. I feel it's a strong 4, but A.Miller could put a wrinkle into my plans.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I mean, I'd think you'll have to trade one of them in May or else bench 1 of them periodically to stay competitive in Ks. If they're cheap (and I think yours are) then maybe you get 5 high-K starters so you can still compete there, but that will be pricey. Alternatively, just chase low-K starters since they'll be cheaper, and target ratios, saves and a solid finish in wins. Like a J Zimm, Nova, Cueto, another low-K, good ratio guy rotation?

Comment

I generally like to go with 3 closers and 3 MRs, then use every bench spot possible on SPs (maybe leave 1 bench for offense) and faithfully stream the SPs in to maximize starts. You have to target the high-K relievers (especially the MRs) to make this work (ie staying middle of the pack or better in Ks). Inevitably, one of the MRs becomes a closer and you maintain having 3-4. I have won or come in the $$ a bunch of times with this strategy, but obviously you have to have a daily lineups format to make it work, and it works great for mixed leagues, not as well for onlys (but still can). Bonus if you trade one of the closers away at the deadline for a SP because youve built up a lead.

Of course, this has not worked a few times too, and I have gained the reputation of the guy who targets closers/MRs in most of my leagues, and I end up having to pay too much of a premium in some cases.

Comment

In daily leagues, I've done much of what Pauly has done - 3-4 closers, and 1-3 high K MRs, using 2-3 bench slots for streaming starters.

I think you'll end up in a bad state in wins and K's in a league with weekly changes; in a 15-team mixed, you can probably land a pretty decent SP or two in the endgame. I'd stick with three closers and get the additional SP at the end.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I tried this once and I would actually move to call it the "Forclosure" strategy. Also as my poker buddies call it, "A bag of dicks."

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          In daily leagues, I've done much of what Pauly has done - 3-4 closers, and 1-3 high K MRs, using 2-3 bench slots for streaming starters.

I think you'll end up in a bad state in wins and K's in a league with weekly changes; in a 15-team mixed, you can probably land a pretty decent SP or two in the endgame. I'd stick with three closers and get the additional SP at the end.
                          I agree, and to a further extent I'd stick with 2 out of 9 as closers, with 7 starters. Otherwise you are giving up a lot in wins and Ks.

Comment

Working...
                          X