Clear All

So Dee Gordon went about pick 42 or so?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      So Dee Gordon went about pick 42 or so?
      43rd.

Comment

Man, it's been tougher than usual to find non-awful starters in the 30s. A lot of interesting 5th/6th starters are already getting tons of helium (Gsellman, Triggs, Hutchison) and I even got snaked on Zach Wheeler! With a risky top of my rotation I think I'm looking at filling in with good MRs if my aces go down. I've been pounding SPs anyway, but who knows how excited I'll be to start them? Last year I started Martin Perez way too many times.

Backup 2Bs also went way earlier than expected. If you leave yourself a bare spot, expect to pay for it. Outfield is a little thin too. Last year I had Markakis as my "OF6" and he was probably in my lineup half the year. This year I guess that guy is probably Pearce.

The question is always whether you should handcuff your own guys. I took AJ Reed to back up Gurriel, so now I can probably plug in "Astros 1B" into my 1B slot no matter what happens. Which is great, but it also means that it's really unlikely that Reed offers any independent value.

Here's where I am after round 33.

C - Grandal (10), Vogt (15), Iannetta (30)
        1B - Gurriel (19), Pearce (23), AJ Reed (31)
        3B - Bryant (1), Turner (9)
        2B - Panik (18 )
        SS - Lindor (2), Asdrubal (14), J Polanco (27)
        OF - Cespedes (4), G Polanco (5), Eaton (8 ), Kiermaier (11), Maybin (21), Brinson (24)
        UT - VMart (16)

SP - Cueto (3), Tanaka (7), Rodon (13), G Richards (17), Wacha (20), Junior Guerra (22), Matt Boyd (25), Conley (26), Karns (32), Nolasco (33)
        RP - K Giles (6), Jim Johnson (12), Hector Rondon (25), Gregerson (28 )
        Last edited by joncarlos; 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM. Reason: forgot about Vmart!

Comment

Ok so after a weekend of drafting my team has added quite a few more players. At the top of round 6 I could have taken Giles, but I decided to roll the dice and hope K Herrera made it back to me. He went 2 picks ahead of me and I wanted a closer at that point so I grabbed Allen who is the last guy I have in that tier. I then loaded up on starting pitching. I have added Danny Duffy, T Watson, A Sanchez, and James Paxton. After practically running out of starting pitchers last year I was going to make sure I had some depth this year. I will now probably go 4-5 rounds of just drafting hitters if not more. I am on deck right now and will probably be adding Marcell Ozuna.

Here is how it currently looks
          C C
          1b Miggy
          2b
          3b Beltre
          SS Villar
          OF Braun, J Upton

SP Cueto, Duffy, A Sanchez, Paxton
          RP C Allen, T Watson

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
            Ok so after a weekend of drafting my team has added quite a few more players. At the top of round 6 I could have taken Giles, but I decided to roll the dice and hope K Herrera made it back to me. He went 2 picks ahead of me and I wanted a closer at that point so I grabbed Allen who is the last guy I have in that tier. I then loaded up on starting pitching. I have added Danny Duffy, T Watson, A Sanchez, and James Paxton. After practically running out of starting pitchers last year I was going to make sure I had some depth this year. I will now probably go 4-5 rounds of just drafting hitters if not more. I am on deck right now and will probably be adding Marcell Ozuna.

Here is how it currently looks
            C C
            1b Miggy
            2b
            3b Beltre
            SS Villar
            OF Braun, J Upton

RP C Allen, T Watson
            Solid crew but I definitely worry about the lack of impact hitters. Your top guys really need to come through. I do like the pitching though! I think Allen will be a really good closer.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Solid crew but I definitely worry about the lack of impact hitters. Your top guys really need to come through. I do like the pitching though! I think Allen will be a really good closer.
              I missed on guys last year and had depleted pitching for a lot of the year and squeaked into 3rd. I figured instead of missing on hitters I wanted some depth in pitching and now I'll take some time to build hitting. Will it be enough? Not sure, we will see.

Comment

I think I have a pretty similar team to frae so far (shocker, nearly the same draft position), got a long wait now to see who comes off the board, but I think pitching should be the next priority:

1B Miguel Cabrera (1)
                2B Dee Gordon (3)
                3B Evan Longoria (8)
                SS Corey Seager (2)
                OF Mark Trumbo (5)

P Chris Archer (4)
                P Roberto Osuna (6)
                P Zack Greinke (7)

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                  I missed on guys last year and had depleted pitching for a lot of the year and squeaked into 3rd. I figured instead of missing on hitters I wanted some depth in pitching and now I'll take some time to build hitting. Will it be enough? Not sure, we will see.
                  Well damn, that's better than I finished last year, so why are you listening to me?

Comment

Always interested to see what the other teams in my league have done.

Team 3 went Kluber, Darvish, Carrasco, Strasburg in rounds 2-5. After Mookie his top offensive players are Chris Davis and Jose Peraza.

Team 1, who went Chapman/Jansen on the 4/5 turn, then took Familia in round 8, has Fulmer, Manaea, Smyly, and Liriano as his top 4 SPs.

Team 7 appears to be murdering the rest of us... top 10 of Goldy, Votto, Springer, G Sanchez, Degrom, K Seager, K Herrera, Cody Allen, Benintendi, Gausman and then he got Forsythe/Zobrist in rounds 14-15. If his SPs hold up (After Degrom/Gausman, he has VV, Happ, Disco, so they definitely might not), that's tough to beat.

Comment

How in the hell does any team in a 15 team league get what Team 7 did? Is everyone but you and the manager of team 7 on drugs?

Comment

OK just made my 16th round pick and as I suggested I have made 5 straight hitting picks. Grabbed Kiermaier in the 12 then I added Adrian Gonzalez in round 13th, Ben Zobrist in the 14th, Nomar Mazara in 15, and Logan Forsythe in round 16. So I now look like this...

C C
                        1b Miggy
                        2b Zobrist
                        3b Beltre
                        SS Villar
                        MI Forsythe
                        CI A Gonzalez
                        OF Braun, J Upton, Kiermaier, Mazara

RP C Allen, T Watson

Comment

Frae- looks very nice. Though I go back to the same question I asked joncarlos...

I realize AGonz is diminished, but pick 183 or so? Mazara after 225? Wow. Those are absolute steals.

Comment

How in the hell does any team in a 15 team league get what Team 7 did? Is everyone but you and the manager of team 7 on drugs?
                            Pretty much. He has snapped up just about every player that has fallen. I was dumb to keep letting Zobrist fall.

On my spreadsheet I write a little note called "top backups for pick" - so for when I took Cespedes in round 4, it was Carrasco. When I took Giles, it was Allen/Herrera. WHen I took Tanaka, it was still Herrera. He has basically picked my top backups team.

Comment

Frae- looks very nice. Though I go back to the same question I asked joncarlos...

I realize AGonz is diminished, but pick 183 or so? Mazara after 225? Wow. Those are absolute steals.
                              It is a weird thing. People are way down on boring vets usually in these drafts and then you throw in A Gon on a down year you get a discount. Mazara surprised me, this is the kind of league where you take shiny new toys and upside guys like Nomar. If he doesn't workout you just plug in a replacement guy and get some production.

My team looks a little better now that I have filled in that offense some. I still want to get some offensive depth, but I am now open to taking SP's or closers in waiting again. 34 rounds to go!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                Pretty much. He has snapped up just about every player that has fallen. I was dumb to keep letting Zobrist fall.

On my spreadsheet I write a little note called "top backups for pick" - so for when I took Cespedes in round 4, it was Carrasco. When I took Giles, it was Allen/Herrera. WHen I took Tanaka, it was still Herrera. He has basically picked my top backups team.
                                Well, I like your chances. One strong drafter, a couple with a plan but high risk, and ten, um, less than stellar drafters bodes well for you winning some money.

Comment

Working...
                                X