NL Only Keeper Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Only Keeper Help

12 team NL Only, 10 keeper spots. 12 guys I quite like; 4 SB guys, 3 HR guys, 3 Closers, 2 Starting Pitchers. Very happy with this rebuild, one of the best I've assembled I think, but I'd like input on the back-end of the list. Happy to share my thoughts on your list in exchange, as per roto nerd custom.

Inflation is crazy in this league for top tier guys, where studs often fetch 80-100% inflation, 5-10 guys in the $50-$70 range.

Additional context: only 1 starting catcher, 1 extra UT spot.

A= first year, B= second year, C= final year, or extend $5/yr... My near-certain-locks are in bold.

Grandal - C - $8-B
    Peraza - 2B/SS/OF - $5-A
    Villar - 3B/OF - $13-B
    O.Herrera - OF - $5-C (thinking extend to $15 through '19, given his real-life long-term extension)
    Duvall - OF - $3-C (thinking extend to $8)
    Hernan Perez - 3B/OF - $3-B
    Schwarber - OF - $5-B

R. Iglesias - CP - $1-C (thinking extend to $6 at the low risk of a $3 buyout)

Capps - CP - $1-B
    Eickhoff - SP - $9-B
    Hellicksen - SP - $3-B

FARM (8 spots)

JP Crawford - SS, K. Newman - SS, I. Happ - 2B/OF, N. Williams - OF, A. Reyes - SP
    Last edited by Teenwolf; 02-21-2017, 10:06 AM. Reason: Edit reflects change after trade
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Only comment/thought I'd have is possibly extending Duvall two years. I get there's risk there - two months of pure awfulness after the AS break - but the power sure looks real and he plays in a great hitters park.

Eickhoff is the only one on that list I'd even consider tossing back in, but given your inflation, he looks like a decent keep to me.

Misread number of keepers - Eickhoff and Capps would be my tosses.
    Last edited by chancellor; 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

H. Perez - lots of "profit" in that salary. Even if he doesn't have a starting job at the beginning of the season, he will see plenty of playing time.
      ---
      Hellickson - you can do much worse with a $3 starting pitcher in an NL-only league.
      Grandal - had a huge second half. Not a bad price in an only league - especially one with high inflation.
      Eickhoff - HRs concern me. The fact that he gave up almost 2/3 of his HR at home .....
      ---
      Capps - recovering from TJ; will he start the season on the active roster? I'd toss, and see if you could get him back if you like him that much.

The two year extension on Herrera seems reasonable; still at a nice price.

I'm on the fence with extending Duvall. When I have thoughts like that I tend to not extend and use that $5 at the auction table.

Extending Iglesias isn't going to hurt you next year if you have to cut him, but I don't like to extend pitchers .... just a personal preference. Too much risk of injury.
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Only comment/thought I'd have is possibly extending Duvall two years. I get there's risk there - two months of pure awfulness after the AS break - but the power sure looks real and he plays in a great hitters park.

Eickhoff is the only one on that list I'd even consider tossing back in, but given your inflation, he looks like a decent keep to me.
        Yep, the power is real. Given your inflation I am going with Chance on the two year extension. Still a good price for 30 hrs and near 100 rbi.

You have listed 12 players for 10 spots. So while I might like to keep them all 2 have to go. Capps and Eickhoff would be the ones I cut.

I like to trade so I would be trying to package these two or one of these two with Perez for a better keeper. Given your low salary total I wouldn't be afraid to take on some salary for some superior counting stats.

Comment

I'll be a bit of a contrarian here...the Reds have lots of outfielders in the pipeline, and I think that Duvall could be in for a bit of a hit. I'd extend for one year, but also be happy to just save the 5 bucks and keep him at his present price.

I can live with the Herrera extension, I believe in him myself, and I think that you should extend Iglesias for a year, the worst place he'll be is an Andrew Miller type of role.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'd only give Herrera a one-year extension and use the savings to give Duvall one, too.

Agreed on Capps being shaky at the moment and man, you need to make a deal. these are really, really good prices. can you get farm picks or other considerations, at least.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              12 team NL Only, 10 keeper spots. 12 guys I quite like; 4 SB guys, 3 HR guys, 3 Closers, 2 Starting Pitchers. Very happy with this rebuild, one of the best I've assembled I think, but I'd like input on the back-end of the list. Happy to share my thoughts on your list in exchange, as per roto nerd custom.

Inflation is crazy in this league for top tier guys, where studs often fetch 80-100% inflation, 5-10 guys in the $50-$70 range.

Additional context: only 1 starting catcher, 1 extra UT spot.

A= first year, B= second year, C= final year, or extend $5/yr... My near-certain-locks are in bold.

Grandal - C - $8-B
              Peraza - 2B/SS/OF - $5-A
              Villar - 3B/OF - $13-B
              O.Herrera - OF - $5-C (thinking extend to $15 through '19, given his real-life long-term extension)
              Duvall - OF - $3-C (thinking extend to $8)

Hernan Perez - 3B/OF - $3-B
              Schwarber - OF - $5-B

R. Iglesias - CP - $1-C (thinking extend to $6 at the low risk of a $3 buyout)
              Ottavino - CP - $2-B

Capps - CP - $1-B
              Eickhoff - SP - $9-B
              Hellicksen - SP - $3-B

FARM (8 spots)

JP Crawford - SS, K. Newman - SS, I. Happ - 2B/OF, N. Williams - OF, A. Reyes - SP
              I would extend Herrera but not Duvall. I'd keep Perez and Grandal at those prices along with Capps on a speculation for cheap closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                I would extend Herrera but not Duvall. I'd keep Perez and Grandal at those prices along with Capps on a speculation for cheap closer.
                Agree with all. If you don't mind a cheap catcher I'd keep Hellickson over Grandal, but I think you can get other interesting SP speculations for a couple bucks easier than you can get a good power $8 catcher. Perez will run enough to justify 3 bucks even in 300 ABs.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Agree with all. If you don't mind a cheap catcher I'd keep Hellickson over Grandal, but I think you can get other interesting SP speculations for a couple bucks easier than you can get a good power $8 catcher. Perez will run enough to justify 3 bucks even in 300 ABs.
                  Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Hernan Perez $3 and Grandal $8 are definite keepers for me now. Uniquely valuable, and I really want to see a full season of healthy Grandal stats. That 5-5 game with 3 HR really sticks in my brain, and I won't look it up to double check if that's what he did, but he's got MVP potential if he puts it together for a full season. Can't say that about many $8 hitters.

I dealt Ottavino $2 to lighten the load. Got 2 late 1st Rd picks (#9 & #12) for Ottavino + #28ish. Pretty happy with that, as I'm no longer forced to spend $7-$12 on a Holland handcuff.

Leaves me with 2 spots for 3 guys:

Capps - CP - $1-B
                  Eickhoff - SP - $9-B
                  Hellicksen - SP - $3-B

I love the keeper/trade value in a $1 Capps if he comes back, and the sharks in my league won't let him go for less than $5, I'm sure, so I think I need to keep him. Maurer looks like a 7th-8th inning guy to me.

Eickhoff $9 and Hellicksen $3 is a toss-up. Both seem $10 under their draft value. Eickhoff has that youth appeal, and might provide more trade deadline value for a pennant run... but maybe Hellicksen keeps his gains and gets moved to a better pitcher's park at the deadline? Tough choice. I dislike the idea of keeping 30+ year old crafty veteran SP's, as I know Hellicksen's fastball is terrible and he succeeds by commanding his secondary pitches. But maybe another year removed from injury, his fastball can bump back up to average, a la Verlander? Helly is on another 1 year deal, so he's still got the motivation to put up a great year.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I'd toss Eickhoff. I sure don't think there's $6 worth of difference between he and Hellboy.

OTOH- your point about what Capps would go for is interesting. I like him as a $1 speculation play, but I might like him even more at $7...on someone else's roster.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                    X