Keep 5 - standard 5x5 league

Locks
    Sano $11 (2018)
    Simmons $8
    Colome $6
    Bauer $3

Remaining Choices for #5
    KRod $14 - don't love the price but 2 closers for $20 going in seems smart
    Kluber $32 - few dollar value in my league - commits me to building a decent staff however
    Tomlin $6
    Skaggs $1 - both these guys are uninspiring. Skaggs is probably really bad based on health. Tomlin at $6 is still lotto ticket
    Frazier - $27 - gives me huge corner power - maybe a few dollar value but could go same price (I also get Bregman free this year as a rookie keeper)
    Kinsler - $26 - just had a late career year - probably goes the same price
    Encarnacion - $33 - everyone is assuming I keep him based on my love affair, but I'm off him this year- probably same price
    Aoki -$11 - maybe a couple of dollar value and could comeback nice OR make me hate myself by June

Only shortstop will be thin in the draft this year. i'm projecting Correa, Lindor, Anderson, Andrus, and Polanco will be kept but I have Simmons so I'm not concerned.

Thanks for your thoughts.

K-Rod is not a tremendous value, so I think I'd spend the money on a safer player.

No discount on Kluber so no need to keep him.

I think I'd go Frazier.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Do you get to keep stats of players if they're traded to the "other" league?

I'd be more apt to keep Kluber as a staff "anchor." You're not going to get a more consistent AL stud than him, are you?
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
        Do you get to keep stats of players if they're traded to the "other" league?

I'd be more apt to keep Kluber as a staff "anchor." You're not going to get a more consistent AL stud than him, are you?
        I do not get stats if the player is moved to the NL.

My early plan was to keep the two closers, get garbage wins and ks and see where my era and ratio ended up. $60 staff. If I keep Kluber then I have to build a legit staff, which is not a bad thing, just not necessarily what I was going to do. Got a 41 days until the draft so I can change my strat 5 times before then. I do clearly see the asset of keeping Kluber.

Comment

If it were my team I would be keeping Kluber. He is the best i the AL and $32 seems like a pretty good price.

Comment

KRod at $14 is a very good value in an "only". Locking up 2 of 15 in a 10 team league for $20 seems prudent.
            I'd probably keep Frazier & definitely E3.
            Simmons at $8 is a head scratcher. Andrelton?? Toss back for sure.
            One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Sano $11 - along with Bregman, he makes Frazier expendable.
              Colome $6 - it's nice to have a good cheap source of saves who won't hurt your ratios.
              Bauer $3 - with the rest of the Indians staff healthy (?) Bauer could take it up a notch if there's less pressure on him.
              Kluber $32 - it's a good feeling to go into the draft with an ace pitcher already locked up.
              Skaggs $1 - former top prospect and post hype sleeper is now 3 years removed from TJ surgery. The velocity and then some returned last year. The control he showed before should also return. Lots of upside for a buck.

I think you can do better than an $8 Simmons in the draft. To me Simmons seems more like an end game pick than a keeper. Just not worth a keeper spot when you have better options IMO.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Can't sum it up better than madducks did.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Sano $11 - along with Bregman, he makes Frazier expendable.
                  Colome $6 - it's nice to have a good cheap source of saves who won't hurt your ratios.
                  Bauer $3 - with the rest of the Indians staff healthy (?) Bauer could take it up a notch if there's less pressure on him.
                  Kluber $32 - it's a good feeling to go into the draft with an ace pitcher already locked up.
                  Skaggs $1 - former top prospect and post hype sleeper is now 3 years removed from TJ surgery. The velocity and then some returned last year. The control he showed before should also return. Lots of upside for a buck.

I think you can do better than an $8 Simmons in the draft. To me Simmons seems more like an end game pick than a keeper. Just not worth a keeper spot when you have better options IMO.
                  Agree with everything written above. I'm a believer in Skaggs this year.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I would keep Kluber. I am not sold on Simmons. I like the idea of 2 Closers for $20. You would no longer have to worry about closers and you have an ace to anchor the staff.

I have always liked Skaggs and would keep an eye on him. I am not sure I would keep him over the other folks, but I would keep an eye on him. If he wows during spring maybe my opinion changes.
                    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Agree with just about everyone. K-Rod yes, Kluber yes, Simmons no (worst case you pay 10 for him, but I doubt it comes to that). Add Sano and Colome. I'd consider making EE my 5th. I don't think he falls off much in CLE and you go in with 2 closers, an ace and a stud slugger. You wouldn't happily pay 6 bucks to upgrade Frazier to EE? I would.

Comment

Thank you for the replys folks. Despite my extreme fair weather fandom on RJ I do appreciate you all.

You have interesting points on Kluber and Encarnacion. I doubt I will choose EE over Bauer, but I am convinced that Simmons is most likely a waste.

If anyone wants to respond more what are your thoughts about locking up the corners going into the draft? You may have missed it. I have a free Bregman to immediately insert after the draft and if I did keep EE it would be EE, Sano, Bregman and I am done there. If a value opportunity appears during the draft at the corner then I would either have to pass or slot to my DH. Slotting to DH isn't necessarily bad, but I prefer to look for those flex position MI guys since someone always gets hurt up the middle (some pun intended).

If I pass on EE then I probably would be targeting Brad Miller for his SS/1B eligibility, who then pairs well with Segura with MI flex. I know this sounds like overthinking but my league is tougher than an experts AL only league and these small decisions pay dividends. Sano has that OF eligibility too so the above targets would drive my money to the OF where if I am hit with injury I can grab a corner or OF to solve the issue.

FWIW I will try to stick around this year at least through the beginning of the season. Truthfully this is what happens; I write too much on boards during work and then don't do enough work. I should have decided 10 years ago that fantasy sports should be my job. Its too late now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by burkkake View Post
                          Thank you for the replys folks. Despite my extreme fair weather fandom on RJ I do appreciate you all.

You have interesting points on Kluber and Encarnacion. I doubt I will choose EE over Bauer, but I am convinced that Simmons is most likely a waste.

If anyone wants to respond more what are your thoughts about locking up the corners going into the draft? You may have missed it. I have a free Bregman to immediately insert after the draft and if I did keep EE it would be EE, Sano, Bregman and I am done there. If a value opportunity appears during the draft at the corner then I would either have to pass or slot to my DH. Slotting to DH isn't necessarily bad, but I prefer to look for those flex position MI guys since someone always gets hurt up the middle (some pun intended).

If I pass on EE then I probably would be targeting Brad Miller for his SS/1B eligibility, who then pairs well with Segura with MI flex. I know this sounds like overthinking but my league is tougher than an experts AL only league and these small decisions pay dividends. Sano has that OF eligibility too so the above targets would drive my money to the OF where if I am hit with injury I can grab a corner or OF to solve the issue.

FWIW I will try to stick around this year at least through the beginning of the season. Truthfully this is what happens; I write too much on boards during work and then don't do enough work. I should have decided 10 years ago that fantasy sports should be my job. Its too late now lol.
                          I mean... after the auction you can just move Sano to OF which opens up a spot for Bregman. In a 5-OF AL-only league I'm sure you won't mind having a $2 5th OF who you can bench.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            I mean... after the auction you can just move Sano to OF which opens up a spot for Bregman. In a 5-OF AL-only league I'm sure you won't mind having a $2 5th OF who you can bench.
                            You got a point!

Comment

If Bregman is free until AFTER the draft, you still can take the value if needed. It is not that hard to move pieces around or even trade from strength.

Depending on what is there I probably go hard after that value, plan a buck for UT and then slot Bregman in there after the auction. Planning a buck on your last slot also helps insure that no money is left on the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X