2k17: Padres OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k17: Padres OF

The Padres are not one of my favorite teams to mine fantasy players from, but their OF is very intriguing in 2017, with four quality players to battle for three positions.

Two are top prospects -- Hunter Renfroe and Manuel Margot; one is a guy who's killed it in the minors in Alex Dickerson; and another is a former 1st rd speedster who is just getting started at the MLB level in Travis Jankowski.

How will this shake itself out? Jankowski could be a huge steal if he gets everyday ABs, and Renfroe is a top NL ROTY candidate.

Or will this be typical Padres and all four will get 350-400 ABs and be useless.

With all the hype surrounding Margot and Renfroe, you've got to think that the Padres will be more apt to start those two.

Dickerson held his own after being called up last year (10HR, .257BA, and .788 OPS with 5 steals in 253 ABs), and Jankowski swiped 30 bags in only 335 ABs last year.

You would think that one (or more of them) will slump during the season and will be sent back down to the minors. MLB.com currently shows Dickerson in LF, Jankowski in CF, and Renfroe in RF with Margot backing up LF and CF.

It was interesting to see that Dickerson didn't get drafted in the LABR draft; he's been on my "radar" in Mock One for a couple rounds now.
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
      With all the hype surrounding Margot and Renfroe, you've got to think that the Padres will be more apt to start those two.

Dickerson held his own after being called up last year (10HR, .257BA, and .788 OPS with 5 steals in 253 ABs), and Jankowski swiped 30 bags in only 335 ABs last year.

You would think that one (or more of them) will slump during the season and will be sent back down to the minors. MLB.com currently shows Dickerson in LF, Jankowski in CF, and Renfroe in RF with Margot backing up LF and CF.

It was interesting to see that Dickerson didn't get drafted in the LABR draft; he's been on my "radar" in Mock One for a couple rounds now.
      Hey....hands off. I have Renfroe and Margot and meant to take Dickerson last pick but had a brain fart and took Adonis. C'mon Kawaise play nice!

Comment

In LABR (15 teams):

Jankowski 13.05 (#185);
        Renfroe - 15.11 (#221);
        Margot - 18.14 (#269).

In RJ Mock One (16 teams):

Jankowski 14.11 (#219 - to Hammer);
        Margot 15.14 (#238 - to harmon);
        Renfroe 16.03 (#243 - to harmon).
        Last edited by kawaise; 02-14-2017, 05:03 PM.
        "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
        "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
        WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
        PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Renfroe is going to be a fun player to own this year.
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I guess the drafniks have more faith in Travis than the Padres.

From everything I hear out of the Padre organization, Margot will either be the starter or being the year in AAA. They view Jankowski as the 4th OF, who most likely will be dealt at the deadline (same can be said for a handful of players on the roster)

As strange as it seems, I think they consider Bethancourt their 5th OF as of now.

Barring a late signing of a vet I have to believe they intend to have Margot start out of spring training.

With that in mind, I would think his ADP would be higher than Jankowski's.

As for this being the Typical Padres, Green's managing style is vastly different than Blacks so I see him sticking to set lineups rather than the carousel of equity Black is so fond of.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              From everything I hear out of the Padre organization, Margot will either be the starter or being the year in AAA. They view Jankowski as the 4th OF, who most likely will be dealt at the deadline (same can be said for a handful of players on the roster)
              This is exactly what I've heard. I'm not certain how the value will shake out, but leaving Dickerson undrafted was a mistake. He's going to get a chance to prove he can do it, and he's shown that he might be the real deal. Renfroe is a potential giant bat and Margot is probably the best of the bunch. It's an exciting young outfield with a good deal of upside, but it is the Padres, so it'll likely all go to shit in a hundred different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                This is exactly what I've heard. I'm not certain how the value will shake out, but leaving Dickerson undrafted was a mistake. He's going to get a chance to prove he can do it, and he's shown that he might be the real deal. Renfroe is a potential giant bat and Margot is probably the best of the bunch. It's an exciting young outfield with a good deal of upside, but it is the Padres, so it'll likely all go to shit in a hundred different ways.
                I wish I could argue with this, but I cannot............
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                X