Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking Costs Cards Pick

Headline I Thought I'd Never See:

Cardinals must give Astros $2M and two draft picks as punishment in hacking scandal
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

The scumbag Cards got off very lightly on this. Should have been more than 2 picks IMO. Forget about the $$$. I am thinking their first 2 picks for the next 3 years would be a better message to the Cards and the rest of the league.

Comment

Former Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa was sentenced last year to 46 months in prison for corporate espionage. And Major League Baseball has concluded its own investigation by permanently banning him from baseball.

I wonder if Correa will throw anyone else under the bus now that he has nothing to lose. Unless he got a "severance package" with a stipulation that forbids him to discuss the case.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
        The scumbag Cards got off very lightly on this. Should have been more than 2 picks IMO. Forget about the $$$. I am thinking their first 2 picks for the next 3 years would be a better message to the Cards and the rest of the league.
        Agree completely.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I didn't follow this too closely, was this know, and condoned, by upper Cardinal management? Or was this a rouge operation by Correa?
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I have the same question as Horns...I recall him taking the brunt of the blame, although he may have fallen on the sword for a payout. Regardless, I can see more punishment for the Cards--this sort of thing needs to be stamped out hard. However, in terms of calculating the damages to the Stros, this is probably appropriate, no? Do folks think the hack did more than two mill and two picks worth of damage? I honestly am not sure how to calculate it, and if this hack really hurt the Stros, I'm all for giving them more.

But you don't want a team to get a competitive advantage against the field for getting hacked, you just want them made whole. Again, I'm not arguing the Cards didn't get off light, but once the Stros are made whole, additional penalties should benefit the league as a whole. So, maybe the league could have made them flat out forfeit additional picks after the penalty was enough to do right by thee Stros.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I have the same question as Horns...I recall him taking the brunt of the blame, although he may have fallen on the sword for a payout. Regardless, I can see more punishment for the Cards--this sort of thing needs to be stamped out hard. However, in terms of calculating the damages to the Stros, this is probably appropriate, no? Do folks think the hack did more than two mill and two picks worth of damage? I honestly am not sure how to calculate it, and if this hack really hurt the Stros, I'm all for giving them more.

But you don't want a team to get a competitive advantage against the field for getting hacked, you just want them made whole. Again, I'm not arguing the Cards didn't get off light, but once the Stros are made whole, additional penalties should benefit the league as a whole. So, maybe the league could have made the flat out forfeit additional picks.
              Agree with you here, as well as clio. I think the Astros were made whole. Having the Cards forfeit more picks - and a LOT more money - would have been appropriate here, but to no additional favor to the Astros.

Of course, while I agree the Astros deserve the picks, Luhnow should have been personally fined some nominal sum for being a techno-moron.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Interesting statement from Correa here...essentially claims the Astros did it first. I guess that I'd be more surprised if he was the 1st, and only one to hack another team.

In 2015, I admitted to unauthorized computer access and volunteered to meet with the commissioner to answer any questions and share my concerns about intellectual property theft. In May, I offered to fly to New York. In June, I suggested a meeting during his visit to Busch Stadium.

The commissioner was unresponsive.

I am unimpressed with Major League Baseball's commitment to fair and just action in this matter. The Cardinals were not the organization that benefitted from unauthorized access.

On December 21, 2011, a Houston Astros employee accessed propriety data on a St. Louis Cardinals server. Later I would learn - through unlawful matters - that Cardinals data were used extensively from 2012 through 2014. Houston Astros employees used the data to replicate and evaluate key algorithms and decision tools related to amateur and professional player evaluation. Many individuals throughout the Houston organization, including the General Manager and the Assistant General Manager, were included in e-mail discussions about these matters.

I accept responsibility for my wrongful actions and am paying my debt to society. The Cardinals organization must pay a heavy price as well.

But punishment does not function as a deterrent when sanctions are applied arbitrarily.

I will have no further comment on this matter while I am incarcerated.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Interesting statement from Correa here...essentially claims the Astros did it first. I guess that I'd be more surprised if he was the 1st, and only one to hack another team.
                  Agree, and if true then the Astros should also be punished severely.

Comment

Working...
                  X