Question for the SABR types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the SABR types

How does Trout rank with the great CF of other eras? Speaker, Dimaggio, Mays all did everything well, as does Trout. Are there tools for comparison?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Defensive WAR is always debatable, but here's an interesting evalation using B-R's WAR (offense + defense):

The B-R JAWS score evaluates top all-time players at each position based on their best seven season WARs (they do not have to be consecutive) and career total WAR
    Trout has only had five full seasons, and he is already 9th at CF in WAR7:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_CF.shtml (*note - sort by WAR7 by clicking on it)

Removing 2011 (40 games/135PA), he has 47.8 WAR in 5 seasons
    Assuming he gets two more seasons that average 8.1 WAR (which is a pretty conservative bet), he will have a WAR7 of at least 74.0.
    The best WAR7 for a CF is Willie Mays - 73.7. Second-best is Ty Cobb (69.0) The top WAR7 post-Mays is Griffey (53.9)

So by that scale Trout is on pace to have the most dominant stretch by a CF ever.
    After that, hard to say how a guy ages (Griffey had a WAR over 2.0 once after age 30, his dad did it three times after age 30).
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I was looking at the similar players section of BR. Paul Goldschmidt is the most similar hitter. The same age comps are even more interesting.

Most Similar by Ages

20 Vada Pinson (955)
      21 Frank Robinson (957)
      22 Mickey Mantle (941)
      23 Mickey Mantle (941)
      24 Mickey Mantle (960)

Anything over 950 is very similar. Vada Pinson's rookie season was MVP worthy.

We are seeing a young, healthy Mantle. Bill James did a long comparison between Mantle and Mays. When healthy, Mantle was clearly better.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        We are seeing a young, healthy Mantle. Bill James did a long comparison between Mantle and Mays. When healthy, Mantle was clearly better.
        J
        1950s AL felt pretty much the Yankees and a Class AAA league in many of the years. And Mantle didn't bat against the Yankees pitchers.

Aaron, Mays, F Robinson, Pinson, Clemente, Cepeda, McCovey, Banks, Wills, Flood, BWhite - the NL batting list goes on.

guys who "looked like them" in the AL? Minnie Minoso (who was from "good" Cuba btw). Elston Howard.

The Yankees didn't have a black player until 1955. The Red Sox didn't have one until 1959.

Mantle was great, but his hitting and pitching competition was inferior to what Mays faced.

As for Trout, he's already giving us a reasonable peak argument. now he just needs to fill in his prime.
        Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-28-2017, 10:49 AM.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
        X