Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball fantasy camp

as opposed to fantasy baseball camp.

Most teams run some kind of week-long "hang out with retired guys and play baseball" thing, and a couple years ago as a birthday gift my parents paid for me to go to the Cubs one. Now that the kids are a little older and I'm not quite broken down enough to not be able to go, we decided this was the year to do it. So I've been here at the Cubs spring training facility since Sunday.

Notes:

Day 0: We had a little welcome social event where they told us who all the coaches would be and which teams we were on.

Guys who are here:

Randy Hundley (it's his camp)
    Glenn Beckert (in a wheelchair, mostly just watching)
    Joe Pepitone (being entertaining but not attached to a team)

Team 1: Gary Matthews and Bob Dernier
    Team 2: Willie Wilson and Jose Cardenal (I had forgotten Wilson ever played for the Cubs)
    Team 3: Rick Sutcliffe and Tim Stoddard
    Team 4: Rick Reuschel and Larry Biittner
    Team 5: Jody Davis and Pete LaCock (my team)
    Team 6: Todd Hundley and Ray Burris
    Team 7: Lee Smith and Ed Lynch
    Team 8: Mike Remlinger and Fergie Jenkins

Each team has about 11-12 guys on it. About half of the campers are rookies. In a camp where everyone is old, my team seems even older than average - there are three of us in our late 30s/early 40s, a bunch of guys in their 50s, two guys in their late 60s, and one in his early 70s.

Day 1:
    Got to the locker room and discovered that they somehow forgot to order me a uniform, so I'm using a loaner. There's a row of lockers on the other end of our room for Theo Epstein, Eddie Vedder, Bill Murray, and Ryne Sandberg; nobody knows which of those guys will show up but Vedder usually does. Remlinger and Dernier and Stoddard are right near me - Remlinger has a huge bushy beard and looks like the Unabomber. After we got dressed there was a camp meeting to talk about the day's schedule and introduce the other assistants. They have the trainers from most of the Cubs minor league affiliates in camp to take care of us. Ernie Banks' son is also a camper. We walked through the main facility to get to the practice fields. We saw a bunch of minor leaguers working out and I felt kind of silly walking past them while they're at work. Apparently we used to have more access to the major league facilities before the Cubs got good.

One of the trainers led us through stretching and then we took some BP and played a couple games. I rolled my ankle in warmups, sigh. We lost both - I think 11-2 and 23-0. Our hitting and fielding are both pretty terrible, me included so far. I had been hoping there'd be more instruction for either hitting or fielding but not really. They use pitching machines rather than making people pitch. There are a bunch of people hanging around getting things signed by the coaches.

On the way back to the clubhouse I ended up walking with Willie Wilson and asked him for advice on basestealing. He said it mostly came down to the count and game situation and observing the pitcher enough to be able to tell from small clues when he was throwing over vs when he was pitching.

The trainers iced up my ankle and told me to come over tomorrow morning to get taped.

Day 2:
    Same schedule but we had a bit of fielding practice also. No uniform yet so I still have my loaner. It sure is nice to have clubhouse guys to wash all your stuff. Because there was a locked gate between the locker room and the practice fields, they suggested people drive over, and I don't have a car so I went looking in the parking lot for a car with an opening. Ended up driving over with Lee Smith, Ray Burris, and Willie Wilson, who were talking about what a terrible driver Shawon Dunston was.

We lost both games again, but we scored about ten runs for the day which was a major improvement. Fielding's still not great. The tape helped my ankle tremendously. I'm mostly playing second or third. At least I got some legitimate hits. In the second game, the ump was awful and blew a call at home in our favor and the guy he called out threw his helmet and argued a bit. In the next inning he called me out at second on a force play where the shortstop was a good five feet away from the bag when he got the ball and never touched it, I complained a bit, and then Reuschel (the manager of the other team) came out and blew up at the ump also.

Eddie Vedder showed up, though he misses the morning game sometimes. Surprisingly more people want to get his autograph than the players, so it's a bit of a zoo on his field.

I got a ride back from the fields to the locker room with Pepitone and his son and another guy on his son's team.

Day 3:
    I overslept a bit and missed the van going over to the park. There were a couple campers in the elevator at the hotel and I asked if I could catch a ride with them. One of them said he wasn't going yet but the other offered to take me. Turns out it's Ron Santo's son, who couldn't make it until today, so we talked about San Francisco and his dad on the way over.

Same schedule, no fielding practice, still no uniform. Pepitone told some very funny off-color stories in the morning meeting and forgot that his son is here too. Apparently the blowup Reuschel had at the ump yesterday is very out of character for him and was enough to get the ump fired - there have been complaints about him previous years too. LaCock also told a scary story about getting mugged by three guys when he was with the Royals and his pregnant wife getting threatened and his friend getting shot in the shoulder, and he kind of snapped and chased the mugger with the gun a half mile and grabbed him, and when the cops finally showed up the mugger tried to get away and LaCock ended up shooting him with his own gun.

They got that gate open so I walked over to the practice field. I saw Jason Heyward and Kyle Schwarber working out on the way over.

We played the other 0-4 team in the morning and got our first win (this was Eddie's team but he wasn't there), and we won in extra innings in game 2. It's not super competitive but the coaches really want to win and it rubs off on us.

During the game, when I was sitting out an inning, LaCock told me and another guy sitting about his experiences with Bob Gibson - http://www.gammonsdaily.com/happy-bi...-gibson-story/ .

I just looked up Jody Davis and saw that he's the hitting coach for the Reds AAA team. I'll ask him about Winker and Peraza when I get a chance.
    Last edited by mjl; 01-25-2017, 09:27 PM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Fantastic stuff......does Pepitone still have any hair left to blowdry?

Comment

wow, great reporting - you missed your calling!

maybe the most realistic accounts I have read. it's not all roses, but some really cool moments, too.

I knew Pete LaCock's father is Peter Marshall who hosted the Hollywood Squares game show in the 1960s and 1970s. I didn't realize the older Peter is still with us at age 90...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Awesome!
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Great writeup!

Here's a pic of my boys with Joe Pepitone last summer.

image.jpg

Comment

Great stuff mjl !

I'm sure we all dream about doing this with our favorite team. So, thanks for sharing and allowing us to live vicariously through your experience. Please keep us updated.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

What a great post. Good material, well written, the best thing I have read on the internet in a while.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I agree, this is Awesome!

Comment

Great read! Bet you lose some weight this week! Looking forward to more!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Day 4:

Same schedule, no fielding practice, still no uniform. They said the morning meeting was going to run long because it was so cold and there was some frost on the field that they needed to deal with, but it was actually because they brought in Schwarber and Heyward to answer questions for about 20 minutes. I didn't get all of it recorded but here's a lot:

Then they went over the previous day's games. Special mention of our second game where our 72-year-old "pitcher" (i.e. the guy feeding the pitching machine and fielding the position) caught a line shot right back at him and threw over to first to double off a runner. We got the day's schedule - we're playing the 6-0 team (Sutcliffe/Stoddard, but Sutcliffe has been gone for the last day or so) and one of the teams that beat us day 1.

Stretching, then a bit of BP, and into the game. The other team has a 30-year-old - I thought the rules were that you had to be 35 - who hit a home run yesterday, and they have a bunch of good fielders. We scored five in the first, held on to the lead until the sixth when they got ahead by 2, and in the seventh (we only play seven) we scratched out four runs and held on for the win. I have accepted that my swing is the same as it is in vintage ball and got a hit by placing the ball through the hole on the right side and another infield hit to third. My fielding is still a bit erratic. During the game I asked Remlinger how to throw a spitter/scuffball so I can work on that for vintage ball.

The guy whose locker is across from mine let me know during the morning stretch that my uniform showed up, so I went back to the locker room during lunch to put it on.

IMG_20170126_133040.jpg

While I was getting changed Eddie Vedder showed up and we talked for about fifteen minutes while he got dressed. He had been working out with Heyward and Schwarber in the morning. I asked if he knew what happened to Sutcliffe and he said Sut had been at a party in his hotel room and someone left an equipment bag out and Sut tripped over it and might have broken his foot. He let me catch a ride with him and his driver back to the field. His driver initially thought I was Ryan Dempster because of my facial hair. Eddie really, really loves baseball and the Cubs. I told him about vintage baseball and he sounded interested, but I forgot to ask if they're touring California this year. I'll try to ask tomorrow.

The second game we were exhausted. There was a line drive right over my head that I probably had to jump about six inches to get and I only managed five. In my defense our team has had a couple injuries and our right fielder is almost immobile so if the ball is hit out that way I usually have to run out to get it, and also I had one line-drive single to right center and two infield hits this game and those tired me out. I think Jody has figured out that's all I'm going to do and he's happy with it, but I need to ask him for a hitting lesson.

After the game I got my foot wrap cut off and my arm iced - there's some muscle in my glove arm that's overworked, probably from extending during my swing.

IMG_20170126_161304.jpg

In the locker room I asked Bobby Dernier about base stealing and he said most of the same things Wilson said.

Tomorrow we have the last two regular games and Saturday we have the game against the coaches. Each team gets an inning in the field and one full trip through the order batting, but if your team makes three outs you lose all your baserunners (but not the runs you've scored so far). The pros get their normal three outs. This game is on the main field and uses actual pitchers. I forgot to ask if we'll get to have four outfielders like we have the rest of the week. The coaches have only lost once in 35 years - if it gets close they bring in some current minor leaguers to cheat.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I went to the Indians Fantasy Camp two years ago and it was amazing!

I believe everyone who loves playing baseball should go to one in their lifetime!

Comment

Interesting listening to the guys talk; Schwarber is one mean leg bouncer. :-)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good reads.
                          "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                          "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                          WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                          PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Good stuff! I would love to be able to do the Red Sox camp someday. More reports please...

Comment

You have to get Vedder to Vintage Draft! Although I suspect he would need a partner to avoid getting skipped all the time.....

Comment

Working...
                              X