Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yordano Ventura RIP

Died in a car accident. Holy shit.

The crash apparently also claimed the life of former MLB player Andy Marte as well. Marte played from 2005-2014, primarily as a 3B with the Indians.

Comment

I read just now that they were two unrelated accidents.

Damn.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        I read just now that they were two unrelated accidents.

Damn.
        Whoa, they were being reported as the same accident. That is spooky.

Comment

Ventura was a close pal of Oscar Taveras, no kidding. geesh
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

[QUOTE=Judge Jude;269854]Ventura was a close pal of Oscar Taveras, no kidding. geesh[/QUOTE
            Alcohol related for Ventura as well. We have all tempted fate, especially in our younger days, but damn.....you'd think that Taveras's death would have made him think thrice. I guess it's just pervasive and every now and then someone gets picked off.

Comment

Honoring your best friend's DUI-related death with your own DUI is a hell of thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                Honoring your best friend's DUI-related death with your own DUI is a hell of thing....
                Has it been officially reported that it was a DUI?

Comment

If I own a MLB team, I'm assigning every player on my 25 man roster a driver/24hr driving service
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Sad. This (DUI death) is happening way too often. But, i guess even once is too often.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      If I own a MLB team, I'm assigning every player on my 25 man roster a driver/24hr driving service
                      I believe they all have such a service via MLBPA here in the states.

Comment

A nice piece written about him a couple years ago (a photo essay continues on the next page after the story):

http://projects.kansascity.com/2015/...rdano/#7956099
                        "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                        "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                        WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                        PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01408060.shtml

Marte struck out in his final AB in the majors in 2014, ending the game.
                          the winning pitcher was....... Ventura.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Where did any mention of alcohol come from? I have not seen it, and this article claims no signs of alcohol at the scene. Not that that means much.

Comment

"The financial future of Yordano Ventura’s family hangs on the results of a toxicology report.

The pitcher was killed Sunday in a one-car accident in the Dominican Republic and is still owed $20 million from the Royals. However, Fox Sports reports, the guaranteed money could be wiped away due to a contractual clause that gives clubs an out if a player’s death is found to be the result of the player’s own negligence, such as driving while intoxicated.

If Ventura’s death is ruled to be accidental, the Royals would send the remaining $19.85 million to Ventura’s estate and the club would be reimbursed by insurance, Fox Sports reports.

It is possible that the Royals would still pay Ventura’s family a portion of the money that was owed to him regardless of the outcome of the toxicology report, according to Fox Sports. The report indicates that the nature of any payment would be more complicated if Ventura didn’t have a will in place."
                              The financial future of Yordano Ventura’s family hangs on the results of a toxicology report. The pitcher was killed Sunday in a one-car accident in the Dominican Republic and is still owed $…

Speed was definitely a factor, as was his not wearing a seatbelt. Apparently he had a penchant for driving extremely fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X