2017 HoF Class: Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    And further PS to above - Walker didn't start putting up huge numbers until age 30, with his prime OPS+ Years from age 30 to 35. That's either park or steroids.
    I liked Larry Walker. I'm not saying that he didn't put up big numbers after 30, or arguing why, although there is something to say about the fact that he didn't play serious baseball until he was eighteen years old.

But the idea that he didn't put up huge numbers until he was age 30, on the whole, is a little misleading. True, his age 30 year, 1997, was massive: .472/.720/1.172. Or, .366 average, 143 runs, 49 home runs, 130 ribbies, and 33 steals. I actually think the traditional stats make his year look more impressive.

But if you take that year as a centerpiece, and look at the five years on either side of it, here is the picture that emerges:

In the five years prior to Larry Walker's massive "age thirty" year of 1997, his totals were: 118 home runs, 424 ribbies, 400 runs and 96 steals.
    In the five years following Larry Walker's massive "age thirty" year of 1997, his totals were: 133 home runs, 460 ribbies, 487 runs, and 60 steals.

Remarkably, the first three years of his "pre-30" period was with the Expos and their explosive offense.

Does this really show anything? I don't know, but it may indicate that Walker's 30s weren't huge statistical abnormalities indicating external factors such as steroids or extreme park factors. He was an unusual player who could do some amazing things in the field and at the plate.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
      plus, walker didn't swing at pitches thrown at his eyes and ankles.
      Yeah, but how fun was it to watch him hit homers from his eyes or his ankles?

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        Yeah, but how fun was it to watch him hit homers from his eyes or his ankles?
        Heh. Vlad was impervious to the unintentional intentional walk. You literally had to throw it out of his reach. And he believed he could reach anything.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
          Does this really show anything? I don't know, but it may indicate that Walker's 30s weren't huge statistical abnormalities indicating external factors such as steroids or extreme park factors. He was an unusual player who could do some amazing things in the field and at the plate.
          For the record, Larry was never the subject of steroid whispers while he was in Colorado. He never experienced the freakish body transformation of Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Canseco, et al. He just happened to thrive in a park that, pre-humidor, played like MLB: The Show on the Rookie setting. Phenomenal talent, beautiful swing - I wish I could view his career in an alternate reality where he wasn't hurt as much.
          Last edited by senorsheep; 01-23-2017, 11:21 AM.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            I liked Larry Walker. I'm not saying that he didn't put up big numbers after 30, or arguing why, although there is something to say about the fact that he didn't play serious baseball until he was eighteen years old.
            I liked him, too. My difference of opinion with Judge Jude is that Larry Walker was a better hitter than Vlad. If I compare Vlad's age 23-27 years with any five years of Larry Walker, it becomes pretty apparent who the better hitter is. Vlad's first five full-time years in Montreal equated to: 524-195-582-111-.325. That, over a five year span, is an average of 105-39-116-22-.325.

Larry Walker never sniffed those numbers in Montreal, not even in his best year. Only his three absolute best years in Colorado are better than those, and two more come close.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Zero MVP's, only 5 All-Star games in 22 seasons. To me, that's the very definition of a stat accumulator. Didn't win a ring either...sorry, nothing there says 1st ballot guy to me.

Although he was a great guy with the press, maybe that will be enough...
              I'll backpedal on this. He'll get in for sure, likely by 2nd ballot.
              but not sure he gets the "first ballot" treatment.

fun fact
              Thome OBP .402
              Rickey OBP .401
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Interesting article on the next several classes. 2021 has no 1st ballot prospects. Is it the year the asshole trio gets in?
                Back in 1947, nine players received at least 50% of the Hall of Fame vote. That’s the last time so many players have appeared on at least half the voters’ ballots. Until this year, that is.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                X