Michael Kopech Hits 110 MPH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Kopech Hits 110 MPH!

On something called Max Velocity Throwing Day....he used a 3 ounce ball for the throw. He was still throwing 102-103 with a regular baseball...

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball web site includes features, news, rosters, statistics, schedules, teams, live game radio broadcasts, and video clips.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

He got a bit of a running start, and it wasn't on an actual radar gun, but the kid is still the hardest throw since Chapman. Insane velocity.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-18-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Trevor Bauer apparently hit 114 doing the same drill.

Comment

Saw him in Arizona in the fall, first pitch was 98 or 99 then after that he was at 92-93 the whole time. This was at the Rising Stars game so if there was one game that he'd want to pump it up and it 100+.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Any 2017 ST news / thoughts / opinions regarding Michael Kopech? Will the White Sox use him as a SP, or is he better suited to use out of the pen? His performance in the AFL was intriguing, but is he worth drafting for use THIS year?

Any help much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post
            Any 2017 ST news / thoughts / opinions regarding Michael Kopech? Will the White Sox use him as a SP, or is he better suited to use out of the pen? His performance in the AFL was intriguing, but is he worth drafting for use THIS year?

I think that he's pitching today against the M's, so you might want to keep an eye on that. Everything that I've read says that he's a starter and is going to stay a starter, probably start in AA ball. I think that being in the 'pen is the last resort, so don't worry about that. I don't believe that he'll be up this year, he's just missed too much time in the past 2 seasons, and needs the minor league innings to smooth his stuff out. Maybe a September call-up...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Another good sign for his not-being-a-reliever-if-they-can-help-it is that the White Sox took a reliever in the first round in 2016, and he throws about as hard as Kopech (http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicag...un-last-night/), so that might remove some of the temptation to try to turn Kopech into another one.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

oh, and Kopech threw 70 innings last year topping out in High-A. And the White Sox aren't playing for anything. Maybe he shows up in September to throw a few innings but there's no way he's worth drafting in March in a non-keeper league.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post

The White Sox like to bring their high end rookie pitchers up for a taste in the pen. Sale and Rodon are recent examples of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    The White Sox like to bring their high end rookie pitchers up for a taste in the pen. Sale and Rodon are recent examples of this.
                    Yup, although it would be nice to know if he's on the 3 outings out of the bullpen plan like Rodon or the 2 years out of the pen plan like Sale!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      Trevor Bauer apparently hit 114 doing the same drill.
                      Going to go out on a limb and say it was outside the strikezone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Yup, although it would be nice to know if he's on the 3 outings out of the bullpen plan like Rodon or the 2 years out of the pen plan like Sale!
                        Wouldn't it have to be in their thought process as to which plan was more effective?

Rodon has disappointed Sox fans and fantasy players alike. Sure there is still hope for him, however I do wonder how it will affect their handling of other young pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          oh, and Kopech threw 70 innings last year topping out in High-A. And the White Sox aren't playing for anything. Maybe he shows up in September to throw a few innings but there's no way he's worth drafting in March in a non-keeper league.
                          This. I think he also has to show the White Sox he's grown up a bit, too, before he sniffs the big leagues.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                          X