Bautista resigns with the Jays 1 year @ $18 mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bautista resigns with the Jays 1 year @ $18 mil

1 year @ $18 mil, could be worth $60 mil over 3.

Not the guy we wanted to bring back, but I do think he's matured the past few years as he stopped chirping the umps over strike calls.

Jose gets a bit more than the 17.2 qualifying offer, and I like the option years if he can stay healthy.

http://www.tsn.ca/jays-reach-one-yea...tions-1.652246

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

I have mixed feelings. I am glad to see him back here as we need another bat in the lineup & he was one of the best remaining free agents - not to mention that he provided us with the greatest Blue Jay memory from the past 20 years. However I saw some at bats late last year where he fouled off pitches that we were used to seeing him crush. While I don't think he has any 40HR seasons left in him, I'm hoping he stays healthy enough to get 500 ABs ... I'd take the 25HRs & 75 RBIs as long as he can keep taking walks like he has been.

But the most important thing is the detail re: the option ... it's pretty apparent that Shapiro wants to keep his options open to rebuild the team if we're not in contention in July. This team simply has too many guys in their 30's, and despite recent improvements our minor league system isn't particularly deep. I still think that we'll see a big selloff at the deadline.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Interesting contract.

2017: $18M
      2018: mutual option @ $17M, 500K buyout
      2019: vesting option (unclear if this is automatic) @ $20M if 300 games played through 2017-18, and healthy.

He also has attendance bonuses built in each year (from 3.5M & up).

Given the risk of the 2019 option automatically vesting, he'd have to have a helluva year for the Jays to pick up his 2018 option. I like it; certainly gives him incentive to go out & have a big year.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Seems like a great deal for the Jays to me. As TranaGreg says, it encourages Joey Bats to be the best he can be, and even if that is only 80% of what he was before last year, that is a great deal for Toronto.

Comment

Hey, he's still the major league leader in Home Runs since 2010 with 249, despite his 22 last year.

Most Home Runs Since 2010

Jose Bautista 249
          Miguel Cabrera 237
          Edwin Encarnacion 231
          Nelson Cruz 229
          -- ESPN Stats & Information

Comment

He hit 22 in 423 AB last year, which projects to 35 in 670 (2014). If you add 5 more lost to 'getting back into form', you get 40 (2015). He's a late bloomer and will continue to be.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              He hit 22 in 423 AB last year, which projects to 35 in 670 (2014). If you add 5 more lost to 'getting back into form', you get 40 (2015). He's a late bloomer and will continue to be.
              Maybe. Last three year trend is pretty scary, though. Diminishing BA and SLG. His fastball hit % dropped precipitously.

All that said, it's still a good deal for Tranna. If he sucks, he's gone after one year, not much lost. If he's the Joey Bats of a couple, three years ago, then the Jays get a middle order presence for a good value.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
              X