2K17 - Eduardo Nunez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K17 - Eduardo Nunez

After by all accounts a largely mediocre 6-year career, Eduardo Nunez exploded out of nowhere in 2016. Where on earth did this come from?

.288/.325/.432
    16 HRs
    40 SBs
    67 RBI
    73 R

After a mid-season deal to SF, he's the unquestioned starter at 3B heading into 2017. He also qualifies at SS.

His underlying stats don't even look out of whack. His HR/FB rate is normal, his BABIP is not egregious.

Is he an under-the-radar option at MI in 2017? Or is he a sucker's bet who just had a breakout campaign never to be repeated again?

I think that he always had the stick, and the speed, he just couldn't hack it defensively, IMO. The Twins, having basically no choices, let him play last year and he blossomed. I think that he's a poor mans Villar at this point, not quite the same power, not quite the same speed, but he'll get double digits in homers, and 30+ steals. Remember that he pulled his hammy in September last year, or he could have had more than the 40 he ended up with.

I think that he's the real deal, and you can get him cheap, because not too many people will believe in him.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

It is interesting to look at his stats last year before and after the trade.

He got nearly double the ABs playing for the Twins; his run production (49:24), doubles (15:9), SB 27:13), strike outs (58:30), OBP (0.325:0.327) hardly changed after he got traded. He increased his walk rate (14 in 182 ABs in SF; 15 in 371 ABs in Minn). There was a decrease in SLG after the trade (0.418 in SF; 0.439 in Minn) due to the decrease in HRs (4:12).

I picked him up with an aggressive FAAB bid when he came over to the NL last year. On the surface he didn't produce the way I expected and I wasn't going to chase him in this year's auction. However, after looking at his stats I may want to reconsider this stance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...unezed02.shtml
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

he will potentially get some time in LF as well when Conor Gilliaspe plays some (better D) 3b, as LF is unsettled for the Giants. No one is expecting even league average D from him in LF though.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Any talk of the Giants adding a 3B that could cut into his time...possibly Frazier?

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
            Any talk of the Giants adding a 3B that could cut into his time...possibly Frazier?
            I think they're pretty well tapped out at this point, and if they had money to spend, they'd probably buy an outfielder.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              I think they're pretty well tapped out at this point, and if they had money to spend, they'd probably buy an outfielder.
              And, from what I can tell from the local media, the Giants are absolutely thrilled with Nunez.

Comment

Working...
              X