2k17: Alex Bregman/Yulieski Gurriel/AJ Reed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k17: Alex Bregman/Yulieski Gurriel/AJ Reed

Bregman had a pretty solid debut in 2016, hitting 264/313/478 with 8 HRs in 49 games. That was accompanied by a 6.9% walk rate and 24% K rate, as well as 2 steals. Bregman also showed some nice XBH power with 13 doubles and 3 triples. He's penciled in as the starting 3B for Houston. Not a lot of competition for that spot.

Yulieski Gurriel is penciled in as the starter at 1B, though he probably has the chops to play 3B as well. There's more competition at 1B - primarily AJ Reed, though Evan Gattis or Brian McCann could slide over there. Yuli's debut was less impressive, going 262/292/385 with 3 HR in 137 PAs.

I'm sure you remember Reed from last year. He hit 332/405/571 at AA in 2015, then hit 291/368/556 at AAA in 2016. Everyone thought he was the next big thing. And he might still be. But he hit 164/270/262 in 141 PAs in the majors last year, with a 34% K rate. He did have a nice 12.8% walk rate, though.

I really like Bregman this year. He has a very nice Steamer projection (.267, 20 HR, 9 steals) and I think he's a good hitter. I think the AVG will be better than expected. I'm not sure he really steals 9 bags, though.

Yuli has a very optimistic .270, 15 HR, 5 SB projection from steamer. I'm not sure I'm that sold on him. I'd rather have Reed a couple hundred picks later, if that's an option. I'm not sure either of them gets 450+ ABs, but I think Houston leaves Bregman alone at 3B and deals with the 1B mess by cutting into everyone's PT.

Bregman had a horrific start, so those numbers are skewed a little. He was a lot better at the plate once he got his composure in the majors after a month or so.

Bregman.JPG

Comment

The Astros are overloaded, so much so I have no idea who's playing where. I thought with the McCann addition, Gattis was the primary 1B? And with Beltran coming onboard, isn't he the primary DH? I'm not sure if there's room for much PT for Gurriel without injuries striking.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        The Astros are overloaded, so much so I have no idea who's playing where. I thought with the McCann addition, Gattis was the primary 1B? And with Beltran coming onboard, isn't he the primary DH? I'm not sure if there's room for much PT for Gurriel without injuries striking.
        Gattis said he likes catching - it keeps his head in the game. So he'll probably platoon with McCann, and the 2 of them will probably see a bit of time at 1B/DH against same-handed pitchers. Beltran will be the primary DH with Reddick/Marisnik platooning, Springer and Aoki in the outfield. But I'm sure Beltran will also see some days off.

Comment

I am more optimistic about Guriel than you seem to be. Remember he was by repute the best player in Cuba and then missed a great deal of time due to his move to the US. Based upon what players such as Cespedes have accomplished I think he might be capable of greater things than he has shown.

Comment

Hope ST clarifies this a bit Re:Gurriel. I have him for $3 in a mixed league, so of course Im hoping his if the FT 1B.

Comment

stats which impress me:

2015 cuba

yulieski gurriel gets 174 at bats and incurs THREE.STRIKEOUTS and 38 walks

He also batted .500 with 40 extra base hits (15 home runs)

he was definitely on a MAJOR heater...

Comment

Has anyone seen/heard a more definitive stance on the Gattis, Beltran, Gurriel, Reed, McCann, Bregman fantasy headache yet? This whole situation gives me enough of a headache now that I want to toss Gurriel back and throw out all of them with my first few rounds on auction day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Has anyone seen/heard a more definitive stance on the Gattis, Beltran, Gurriel, Reed, McCann, Bregman fantasy headache yet? This whole situation gives me enough of a headache now that I want to toss Gurriel back and throw out all of them with my first few rounds on auction day.
                  A lot of smart people are high on Yuli, so it's possible I'm wrong. I think Bregman is pretty safe from the mess, and Beltran will play as much as he's willing/able, but the rest of them, who knows?

Comment

Im down to Yuli $3 or Maurer $6 as my last keeper in a 12 tm mixed. Already keeping 2 closers so I will probably be forced to roll the dice unless I want to keep a $45 player.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                      stats which impress me:

2015 cuba

yulieski gurriel gets 174 at bats and incurs THREE.STRIKEOUTS and 38 walks

He also batted .500 with 40 extra base hits (15 home runs)

he was definitely on a MAJOR heater...
                      Pauly, remember what wannabegriffey said above... there is a lot to like and be hopeful about with Yuli. The Astro have him as their opening day 1B guy. You gotta believe!

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post
                        Pauly, remember what wannabegriffey said above... there is a lot to like and be hopeful about with Yuli. The Astro have him as their opening day 1B guy. You gotta believe!
                        I believed a lot more before they signed McCann and Beltran. I just think Gattis is taking away half of Gurriel's ABs, even if Yuli is the opening day starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          I believed a lot more before they signed McCann and Beltran. I just think Gattis is taking away half of Gurriel's ABs, even if Yuli is the opening day starter.
                          There should be plenty of AB's to go around here, so that whoever plays well is fine. As far as I can see, it is six guys for five positions: Aoki, Reddick, Gattis, McCann, Guriel, and Beltran for the corner OF, 1B, C, and DH. Given how old these guys are, one of the six will probably be hurt half the time anyway.

Comment

fluky thing about Bregman on Yahoo

He is 3B and MI eligible
                            not sure how you can be MI eligible but not SS or 2b eligible - MI is not a position in baseball

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                              fluky thing about Bregman on Yahoo

He is 3B and MI eligible
                              not sure how you can be MI eligible but not SS or 2b eligible - MI is not a position in baseball
                              My guess is that they are using 5 games started for eligibility. He started 4 games at SS last year, so he's not SS eligible. He started 1 game at 2B last year, so he's not 2B eligible. He started 5 games at (SS | 2B) last year so he's MI eligible.

Just a guess based on the numbers though.

Comment

Working...
                              X