No announcement yet.

2017 RJ Mock One Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sort of surprised to see a pitcher go in the first 8 picks. Isn't that risky?
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      I was sort of surprised to see a pitcher go in the first 8 picks. Isn't that risky?
      Some believe so. I typically would not take a pitcher in the first, though for Clayton Kershaw, I might just reconsider. He's that dominant
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

What number of games are we using for position eligibility? Sorry if this was stated already. If it hasn't can I suggest 20?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Some believe so. I typically would not take a pitcher in the first, though for Clayton Kershaw, I might just reconsider. He's that dominant
          He's that dominant but still is coming off an injury. I don't think I've ever taken a P in the first round.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I like the idea of playing it out...we had several people that didn't do moves last year, and it was still a decent amount of fun.
            I'm open to playing it out especially if its draft and hold - though if draft and hold we would need to go fairly deep I guess....

Comment

I dont want to get involved with player moves during the year.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                What number of games are we using for position eligibility? Sorry if this was stated already. If it hasn't can I suggest 20?
                Yes sorry, that's fine.

Comment

From the ADP numbers I've seen so far he typically goes between picks ~5-7. There's an argument to be made that he should be 1st overall, although probably a weak one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    From the ADP numbers I've seen so far he typically goes between picks ~5-7. There's an argument to be made that he should be 1st overall, although probably a weak one.
                    Is there something to the idea that pitchers are more risky for health? or to have up and down years? With Trout don't you know what you are getting?
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I think that he showed at the tail end last year that he was still Prime Kershaw, so any injury concerns are pretty much the same as any other pitcher, IMO.

What He does is to give me a big leg up in 3 out of the 5 pitching categories, and perhaps 4 of the 5. If healthy, the amount of innings that he pitches will make my ratios pretty bulletproof, allowing me to take a few chances if necessary. And even missing 2 months last year, he still K'd 172, remarkable.

I think that I can get enough bats in the next several rounds to keep me competitive in the hitting categories, but it'll be fun to test the theory. And he's only 28...seems like he's been around forever.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

When doing some homework a couple of weeks ago, I was stunned to see Trea Turner was a late 1st rounder. I can understand it......but the risk seems high to me to take him that early. I had figured he would be a nice late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          When doing some homework a couple of weeks ago, I was stunned to see Trea Turner was a late 1st rounder. I can understand it......but the risk seems high to me to take him that early. I had figured he would be a nice late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder.
                          With the exception of RBI (5 less), Turner's numbers after the All-Star break were better than Altuve's. Although Turner has yet to prove that he can adjust to MLB pitchers after they adjust to him.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Revo...I had incorrectly shown Turner as ss/of but he should be 2B/of. I edited my post but could you change that on the first page summary please? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Oh no! I totally missed that part. Mock 1 was always a draft and then play.
                              Yeah not enough want a league anymore. So this is good enough. We all use this as an early gauge for our leagues anyway.
                              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                                Revo...I had incorrectly shown Turner as ss/of but he should be 2B/of. I edited my post but could you change that on the first page summary please? Thanks
                                Will do.

Comment

Working...
                                X