Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    This is 23.06
    We had two 21.10s as well, but who is counting?

Comment

• Not sure what the plan is with Edwards is, but he's a converted starter so I don't think they've ruled that out. Rondon lost his place due to ineffectiveness caused by injury. If he's healthy and effective, I expect he'll slide back in to the primary set-up role. But it's Maddon so I'd have just as much insight using a dart board.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Not sure what the plan is with Edwards is, but he's a converted starter so I don't think they've ruled that out. Rondon lost his place due to ineffectiveness caused by injury. If he's healthy and effective, I expect he'll slide back in to the primary set-up role. But it's Maddon so I'd have just as much insight using a dart board.
        Interesting...everything I read has Edwards in the 'pen, but you follow the Cubs closer than I do.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by kawaise View Post
          Are we doing a six or seven-man bench?
          Seven.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Interesting...everything I read has Edwards in the 'pen, but you follow the Cubs closer than I do.
            He'll be in the pen this season, but I don't think they're committed to keeping him there long-term. So I would figure they'd want some flexibility with his role rather than locking him in as the closer, especially with so many other options available (Rondon, Uehara, Strop). But like I said, with Maddon anything is possible.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Ehh, I don't think the people running the projection system are unintelligent. Rather, the issue is the inability of any reasonable system to translate KBO data to MLB data.

A silly analogy -- You walk into a 2nd grade classroom and find yourself to be the smartest person in the room. Based on that information alone, please tell me how you will compare to the student body at MIT. Show your work
              If there were no data, this might be a valid analogy. However, Thames has a significant body if minor league work combined with three years of sporadic MLB data to go on. Sure, you can believe Thames has become a near star player-which is what Steamers numbers project, or, you can take the rational data based approach and recognize he's a AAAA or fringe major leaguer who went to a league that's high-A to AA quality and performed as expected.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                or, you can take the rational data based approach and recognize he's a AAAA or fringe major leaguer who went to a league that's high-A to AA quality and performed as expected.
                Just to be clear that's what I've been saying about Thames all along, I'm not a believer in Thames, so you won't find me disagreeing.

The steamer issue is that they have a KBO->MLB translation model. They have to because players come to the MLB from KBO without any other data points. Unfortunately that model is highly variable and unreliable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  The steamer issue is that they have a KBO->MLB translation model. They have to because players come to the MLB from KBO without any other data points. Unfortunately that model is highly variable and unreliable.
                  And my issue is when you know you have an unreliable model, look for data that either validates or contradicts the model. All Thames past data indicates the numbers are a fantasy.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Going to be offline for a few hours. Sent my pick via PM to Kawaise.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Did Hammer time out? Are we all OK here? Is this thing on?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        Did Hammer time out? Are we all OK here? Is this thing on?
                        We are limping to the finish line.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Interesting that Steamer projects Miller to get more saves than Allen (20-18).
                          Manager Terry Francona confirmed Cody Allen will close for the Indians in 2017.
                          "Cody is our closer," said Francona on Saturday, ending the debate once and for all. Just as he did last season, Allen will work the ninth inning with stud left-hander Andrew Miller serving as a jack-of-all trades. Allen and Miller were lights out in the playoffs last fall, combining for a 0.82 ERA over 33 innings of work. There's no reason to believe Cleveland's late-inning duo will be any less dominant in 2017.
                          (Source: indians.mlb.com via Rotoworld)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• After Miller got traded to Cleveland the guy who had Allen cut him. Allen passed through waivers ($21 salary). I picked him up the next week for $5. Smiling.
                            "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                            "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                            WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                            PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

• special thanks to Kawaise and Madducks for keeping things rolling when I was away

Comment

• And thanks to you, revo, for setting this up and getting the ball rolling on this. Thanks for the opportunity - it was a valuable experience.
                                Last edited by kawaise; 04-09-2017, 02:01 PM.
                                "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                                "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                                WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                                PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Working...
                                X