No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the team that made me the first offer does have some interest in Martinez. He isn't ready to make me an offer but suggest I make him one. Here is the full list of keepers he has:

T Barnhart $2A
    F Freeman $26A
    H Perez $10F (for '17 only)
    J Gyorko $8A
    DJ LeMahieu $9B
    T Turner $3A
    B Crawford $8C17
    D Swanson $10M
    C Yelich $13C17
    K Schwarzer $10B
    P O'Brien $3A
    S Van Slyke $6A
    T Jankowski $4A
    Y Tomas $13B
    J Winker $10M

A Conley $15A
    A Wood $14A
    B Maurer $5A
    C Reed $5A
    J Gray $2A
    N Syndergaard $10B
    S Oh $1A

That's 21 and we can only keep 12. Obviously, there are plenty of keepers out of reach for Martinez and there's no reason for him to do a 1 for 1. So I think it comes down to which lower valued players do you think are worth asking for in a 2 or 3 for 1.

What do you guys think?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      So the team that made me the first offer does have some interest in Martinez. He isn't ready to make me an offer but suggest I make him one. Here is the full list of keepers he has:

T Barnhart $2A
      F Freeman $26A
      H Perez $10F (for '17 only)
      J Gyorko $8A
      DJ LeMahieu $9B
      T Turner $3A
      B Crawford $8C17
      D Swanson $10M
      C Yelich $13C17
      K Schwarzer $10B
      P O'Brien $3A
      S Van Slyke $6A
      T Jankowski $4A
      Y Tomas $13B
      J Winker $10M

A Conley $15A
      A Wood $14A
      B Maurer $5A
      C Reed $5A
      J Gray $2A
      N Syndergaard $10B
      S Oh $1A

That's 21 and we can only keep 12. Obviously, there are plenty of keepers out of reach for Martinez and there's no reason for him to do a 1 for 1. So I think it comes down to which lower valued players do you think are worth asking for in a 2 or 3 for 1.

What do you guys think?
      Players that you can legitimately get? Probably Gyorko, Yelich, Maurer, and Maybe Reed. I wouldn't settle for anything less than Yelich and Maurer, and Maurer is pretty iffy. Have him toss Reed in as a flyer...Martinez is worth too much for anything less, IMO.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hmmm...I'll politely disagree with revo and Horns that offer two is worse. Don't know what inflation is in your league, but CMart is about a $30 pitcher in your format. McCarthy may start in the pen, but he'll still log about 15-20 starts, IMO. Thompson has $5-7 value with his power capability, with upside if the Dodgers finally deal Ethier. Agree that a counter is needed, though, and I'd shoot for Yelich and any of Thompson, McCarthy, or Maurer in return.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Hmmm...I'll politely disagree with revo and Horns that offer two is worse. Don't know what inflation is in your league, but CMart is about a $30 pitcher in your format. McCarthy may start in the pen, but he'll still log about 15-20 starts, IMO. Thompson has $5-7 value with his power capability, with upside if the Dodgers finally deal Ethier. Agree that a counter is needed, though, and I'd shoot for Yelich and any of Thompson, McCarthy, or Maurer in return.
          Thanks Chance. These two offers were from two different teams. The team that has Thompson and McCarthy is not the same as the Yelich team. That team is not nearly as stacked. He has:

W Contreras $3A
          Wil Myers $20B
          Trevor Story $17A
          Aaron Altherr $3A
          Austin Meadows $10M
          Trayce Thompson $1A
          Victor Robles $10M
          Alex Reyes $5A
          Brandon Finnegan $4A
          Brandon McCarthy $2A
          Dan Straily $1A
          Robert Stephenson $3A

This team drafted Martinez and I traded for him (giving up Meadows with other part involved). FYI - The Forecaster had Martinez earning only $20. I'm not sure he's a $30 pitcher, he's got a lot of upside and hype. He is only 25 and at some point should break out and I guess people want him before that happens.

Based on this league, I feel like if I ask for Yelich and Maurer I'd get laughed at. I think that since he was traded mis season people might not look at him as a keeper. I'm not sure if that's something that happens in your leagues but I think it does in ours.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I honestly wouldn't invest in Maurer and I have him cheap in another league. With the Padres in such Flux he's not a sure thing to close if he's even on the team come April

Comment

Not enough for me to move that megastud

Comment

I would consider Swanson plus Syndergaard/Oh for Arenado.

Comment

Thanks Chance. These two offers were from two different teams. The team that has Thompson and McCarthy is not the same as the Yelich team. That team is not nearly as stacked. He has:

W Contreras $3A
                  Wil Myers $20B
                  Trevor Story $17A
                  Aaron Altherr $3A
                  Austin Meadows $10M
                  Trayce Thompson $1A
                  Victor Robles $10M
                  Alex Reyes $5A
                  Brandon Finnegan $4A
                  Brandon McCarthy $2A
                  Dan Straily $1A
                  Robert Stephenson $3A

This team drafted Martinez and I traded for him (giving up Meadows with other part involved). FYI - The Forecaster had Martinez earning only $20. I'm not sure he's a $30 pitcher, he's got a lot of upside and hype. He is only 25 and at some point should break out and I guess people want him before that happens.

Based on this league, I feel like if I ask for Yelich and Maurer I'd get laughed at. I think that since he was traded mis season people might not look at him as a keeper. I'm not sure if that's something that happens in your leagues but I think it does in ours.
                  I'm surprised it has not been asked, but an important factor here is inflation. What is the typical inflation in this league? With no inflation, I agree with you that Martinez is borderline as a keeper. With 40% inflation, Martinez is a no-brainer keeper.

Too often these type questions are answered only relative to the player. This is an economics game as much as it is a sports game. Carlos Martinez for <$10 is immensely valuable and you would laugh at the offer you received. But at $26 it is more borderline and his incremental value relative to contract is not high (similar to the borderline players you were offered in return)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    I'm surprised it has not been asked, but an important factor here is inflation. What is the typical inflation in this league? With no inflation, I agree with you that Martinez is borderline as a keeper. With 40% inflation, Martinez is a no-brainer keeper.

Too often these type questions are answered only relative to the player. This is an economics game as much as it is a sports game. Carlos Martinez for <$10 is immensely valuable and you would laugh at the offer you received. But at $26 it is more borderline and his incremental value relative to contract is not high (similar to the borderline players you were offered in return)
                    I would guess inflation is about 25-30%.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I would guess inflation is about 25-30%.
                      That makes it a little tougher. I don't agree he's only a $20 pitcher in a 12-team NL league (big surprise, I'm disagreeing with Shandler again...). He's about as near of a mortal lock for 15 wins, 175 Ks, 3.00 ERA, and low 1.2s WHIP and has real upside. With 25-30% inflation, I'd expect he'd go for $30-35.

Any chance you can get him drunk and get Reyes for Martinez?
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                      X