Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you're Bored during the Holidays..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you're Bored during the Holidays..........

So I joined the RJ Legends league, pretty cool group of owners and the first real "Dynasty" league I've been in.

I had the first pick in the supplemental draft which I was fortunate enough to get Betts. I then proceeded to draft a team i thought would contend for a playoff spot, which may or may not have been a good idea.

After more thought I realized a lot of the vets I'd drafted were not only old, but also had possible health concerns--Not ideal for long term success so I started tinkering (plus I'm out of my mind bored)

I dealt the following:

Tanaka
    Liriano
    Keuchel
    Moustakas
    Frazier

(I know Frazier is a top 10 prospect and Dallas is still young)

And got back:

Moncada
    Giolito
    A Espinoza
    De Leon
    J Sheffield

Plus

Robby Ray
    Wacha
    Wisler

I like the prospects and the risk for the young arms for those I traded.

I also like my farm system now, in addition to Mookie I have this:

Moncada
    Giolito
    A Espinoza
    De Leon
    J Sheffield
    J Bell
    R Mondesi
    O Arcia
    W Adames
    M Margot

A solid start to what could be a great team in 2 years!

Thoughts if you have em!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

In my limited experience, older competent players tend to be rather undervalued in dynasty leagues.

If you think Keuchel is still young, note that Moustakas and Tanaka are both younger than him.

Do you have any players other than Betts who are young, in the majors, and good?

How many teams are in the league?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      In my limited experience, older competent players tend to be rather undervalued in dynasty leagues.

If you think Keuchel is still young, note that Moustakas and Tanaka are both younger than him.

Do you have any players other than Betts who are young, in the majors, and good?

How many teams are in the league?
      My bad--I thought Dallas was 25. Not sure why, probably because I've been spinning numbers for a week now.

14 teams, H2H points league up to 46 players on a roster, 15 minor league keepers and 22 ML keepers. No more than 12 pitchers on your active roster at any time so at max 4 arms in addition to your 8 starters.

My team stands:

Encarnation
      CarGo
      Beltre
      Martin
      Kennedy
      Lackey
      Oh
      Reddick
      Cain
      Duda
      Parra

Under 27:

Forsythe
      Travis
      Osuna
      Piscotty
      Inciarte
      K Marte

So I have some guys who will be good now and some hopefully later. Still adjusting to this whole--he's yours forever thing.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I really liked the first trade you did today, where you got Giolito and Moncada. The 2nd one could be good, Espinoza should be great, but there are still questions about his size, same with Sheffield, although I think that can be overrated. I don't think that you gave up too much by any means, so you're alright.

BTW, you're now doing what I did during the dispersal draft, going for young kids, I knew that you'd catch up eventually...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          I really liked the first trade you did today, where you got Giolito and Moncada. The 2nd one could be good, Espinoza should be great, but there are still questions about his size, same with Sheffield, although I think that can be overrated. I don't think that you gave up too much by any means, so you're alright.

BTW, you're now doing what I did during the dispersal draft, going for young kids, I knew that you'd catch up eventually...
          Had to pace myself, but now....you better get hoppin or you'll be left in the dust :P

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

BTW, here are some of the players that I drafted during the dispersal draft...

Byron Buxton
            AJ Pollock
            Yasiel Puig
            Wilson Contreras
            Hanley Ramirez
            Nelson Cruz

Jorge Alfaro
            Rafael Devers
            Ian Happ
            Daz Cameron
            Kyler Tucker (in a trade)

Carlos Martinez
            Carlos Rodon
            Joe Ross
            Jameson Taillon
            James Paxton (trade)
            Dellin Betances (holds count)
            Ken Giles

Kolby Allard
            Brady Aiken
            Michael Kopech
            Francis Martes
            Kyle Zimmer (Lottery Ticket)
            Jorge Lopez

I went as young and high ceilinged as I could, while picking the bargains of vets for trade later...and I have the #1 pick in the draft.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Had to pace myself, but now....you better get hoppin or you'll be left in the dust :P
              I'm working it...but I'm not as bored as you are.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

What are the rules for picking up players in-season? Can you pick up minor leaguers?
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

What are the rules for picking up players in-season? Can you pick up minor leaguers?
                  Yup, anarchy rules. So if a guy is coming on, you can jump on him. About the only thing you can't do is pick up anyone who doesn't have a ML contract. I also think that you can't pick up someone from that years draft class, but I'll have to check...

BTW, it's a H-H points league, play 3 opponents each week...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

We'll have a draft pre season to fill out rosters, most minor league squads will be fleshed out then. From experience, in a deep league like this any prospect of consequence will already be rostered by In season roster moves.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Another Homer dealio:

Dealt Piscotty and Oh for Wil Myers, I just love the guy.

Now on to the draft!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                      X