Yovani Gallardo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yovani Gallardo

Anyone have any insight as to what is going on with him? Outside of his first two starts he's been terrible. Last night gave him 5 mediocre/terrible starts in a row.

Here's a good write up on Gallardo's struggles: http://disciplesofuecker.com/yovani-...dos-struggles/

And this quote basically explains the lack of luck he's had this year:
    However, Gallardo has an essentially perfect batted ball distribution on Monday night — 7 grounders to only one line drive and one fly ball. Unfortunately, the results were just as poor as before: a .615 BABIP.

Comment

Originally posted by willgladst View Post
      Anyone have any insight as to what is going on with him? Outside of his first two starts he's been terrible. Last night gave him 5 mediocre/terrible starts in a row.
      It's pretty clear to me that what is wrong with Gallardo is that I targeted him as my big ticket pitcher this year, putting him in place to demolish two of my leagues.

Comment

He's been hit by an almost unholy trinity for a pitcher - bad defense, loss of command, and bad luck. I've seen him three times this year, and judging by how the catcher has to move around, his command has been fair to poor. Mix in some hideous defense - if you've ever seen Casey McGehee play behind Gallardo, you'd figure Yo stole Casey's girlfriend or something - and a nearly ridiculous number of balls hit simply finding holes, and this is what you get.

I am concerned about his lack of command...I'm hoping he's not pitching with an injury.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmadden View Post
          Here's a good write up on Gallardo's struggles: http://disciplesofuecker.com/yovani-...dos-struggles/

And this quote basically explains the lack of luck he's had this year:
          .358 babip ytd is high definitely but thats not the only problem. xFIP of 4.00 and big drop in k/9 tells you this isnt the same pitcher as last year. At least so far.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            He's been hit by an almost unholy trinity for a pitcher - bad defense, loss of command, and bad luck. I've seen him three times this year, and judging by how the catcher has to move around, his command has been fair to poor. Mix in some hideous defense - if you've ever seen Casey McGehee play behind Gallardo, you'd figure Yo stole Casey's girlfriend or something - and a nearly ridiculous number of balls hit simply finding holes, and this is what you get.

I am concerned about his lack of command...I'm hoping he's not pitching with an injury.
            I know you are fan are you also an owner?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I know you are fan are you also an owner?
              Nope. He was kept in my auction league at 24, and picked up very early by an even harder core Brewer fan than me in my draft league. In my auction league, I have Marcum at 9 (kept, via trade), and Narveson at 2 for Brewer pitchers. In my draft league, I only have Marcum.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

He's killin me. I traded an $18 Justin Upton for a $17 Gallardo on draft day after the owner I offered Upton to for a $13 Hanson refused.

Then said owner goes and panics for saves on May 1 and trades said Hanson for a $16 K-Rod. I thought I'd be sitting pretty w/ a triumvirate of Halladay/Kershaw/Gallardo.

FML

Comment

Maybe it is time for a buy low?

Comment

Jason Parks and Kevin Goldstein had a discussion of Gallardo on the BP podcast this week.

Basically, one of their listeners (a Brewers blogger) noticed that YoGa is dropping his arm slot on his slider. Maybe not enough to tip his pitches, but maybe. Maybe a sign of an injury or some discomfort.

They also said that because Gallardo throws his slider so hard that he really needs his curve to be a change of pace, and this year he's throwing the curve less so everything is hard.

In Gallardo's favor, the slider velo drop is basically the same as the fastball velo drop, so at least he's not losing separation.

Fastball last year - 58%, 92.6 MPH
                    Fastball this year - 55%, 91.9 MPH

Slider last year - 18%, 86.8 MPH
                    Slider this year - 23%, 86.2 MPH

Curve/Change last year - 24% combined, 80.1/84.1 MPH
                    Curve/Change this year - 21% combined, 80.1/84.6 MPH

Maybe his slider is flatter this year because of the arm slot - I haven't checked the PitchFX locations. It has negative value this year, but so does his fastball. Gallardo has lost a few points in his contact rates (92% contact in the zone vs. 88 last year, 83% vs/ 73% last year) which might point to a loss in stuff.

So I would still consider buying low, but there are some red flags here so it would have to be very low.

Comment

Working...
                    X