Whoa! Sale to the Red Sox for Moncada & Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoa! Sale to the Red Sox for Moncada & Others

Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, plus two other prospects.

more details coming ...
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Whoa! Sale to the Red Sox for Moncada & Others

just got an MLB.com alert -- Sale to the Red Sox for Moncada, Kopech and others. Stay tuned.

Comment

Luis Basabe and Victor Diaz also going to the ChiSox

Comment

I wonder how many GMs are trying to track down the White Sox GM (Rick Hahn) right now ... he should set up a booth in the lobby, "everything must go!"

and with Sale in the AL east ... maybe the Jays need to stock up on right handed bats after all.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

As a Cubs fan I am happy that he didn't go to the Nats.

Comment

AL only players breathe a sigh of relief.

Comment

Big fan of the deal for both clubs. I think that Kopesh and Moncada get moved up a little bit on the timetable, Moncada probably after super2 time, and Kopesh probably to August if he's pitching well in the minors. The ballparks are probably a wash, so there's no real issue there, and both clubs get what they need. I'm guessing that Moncada goes back to 2nd now, and Frazier gets traded next.

Nice to have the reigning Cy Young winner being your #3 starter, and good to bury the Yankee hopes before the season even starts.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

A fair haul, although I'm a bit surprised they preferred Moncada and Kopech et al to Robles and Giolito et al. Moncada is the best prospect of the 4, and maybe the best in baseball, but Robles is no slouch, widely considered a top 10 prospect, and I thought Giolito was considered a true ace in the making, much more highly regarded than Kopech. Maybe Giolito's star has faded a bit. Or maybe they just think Moncada is far ahead of Robles.

Comment

re Giolito: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/why-t...lucas-giolito/
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

That's just silly...he's 22 years old and he should exactly where he is. He's always seems to take a few months to adjust to a new level of competition, and then he's fine. To expect him to walk into the majors and dominate is simply unrealistic. People also forget that he had TJ surgery and has SLOWLY worked his way back, on the Nats careful schedule.

Every ranking, no matter who, has him as an elite pitcher a few years down the line...lets let him get a few months in the majors before we decide that he's a "declining asset", as the author of the article has stated. People always love the new shiny toy, which is what Kopesh is at this point...I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Chicago took the Red Sox deal, Giolito may not have every really been in the conversation.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Moncada cost the Sox 63 million to play 8 games.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        Moncada cost the Sox 63 million to play 8 games.
                        Or, he got them a Cy Young level starter controllable for another 3 years on a cheap contract.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

We'll still take them in the playoffs.

-Indians fan
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Or, he got them a Cy Young level starter controllable for another 3 years on a cheap contract.
                            3/38M plus 63 million. 3 years 101 million plus 3 more prospects. They are paying full price.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                              3/38M plus 63 million. 3 years 101 million plus 3 more prospects. They are paying full price.
                              31.5 million to Moncada was a signing bonus, so it was already sunk cost. Add the 100% tax paid by Boston for going over the limit, and you have the 63 million, which I understand has already been paid.

So essentially it's just players for player, the money was already invested. And Sale has a great contract for a guy with his stature.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X