Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shohei Otani to be posted after 2017 season

From Jeff Passan's tweet:

This surprises me in light of the new CBA limiting the int'l FA bonus pool to $5 mil per year and restricting int'l FAs from exemption from the pool limit until age 25 (Otani is 22). Doesnt affect the salary or term that they sign so a MLB-ready FA like Otani will be less affected. Also, the RotoWorld entry for this said that Passan says there are ways around the bonus pool limit
    Last edited by rhd; 12-05-2016, 10:43 AM.

As someone who has him rostered through the 2018 season, what would his trade value for one year be?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Have to think he's more likely to go to an AL team so he could DH when he's not pitching. Wow, how much is he worth......twice as valuable as your basic superstar?

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
        Have to think he's more likely to go to an AL team so he could DH when he's not pitching. Wow, how much is he worth......twice as valuable as your basic superstar?
        Would he really supplant a DH though? I was wondering. Is he more valuable getting 3ish ABs for a NL team each start, and pinch-hitting on other days?

Comment

Has anyone's league come to an equitable understanding of how owners will be able to use him? Pitcher? Hitter? Both?
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
            Would he really supplant a DH though? I was wondering. Is he more valuable getting 3ish ABs for a NL team each start, and pinch-hitting on other days?
            The way he was used in Japan this year, he DHed on days he wasnt pitching, if the home team was from the league that uses the DH.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
              The way he was used in Japan this year, he DHed on days he wasnt pitching, if the home team was from the league that uses the DH.
              That may well be. But my question is, is his hitting good enough to warrant benching the average AL DH? Perhaps. That would be kind of awesome, but I'm a bit skeptical, and expect he's a bit more attractive to an NL team.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                Has anyone's league come to an equitable understanding of how owners will be able to use him? Pitcher? Hitter? Both?
                Hadn't thought about it much but I would expect he would be treated as two distinct players: Shohei the pitcher and Shohei the hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                  That may well be. But my question is, is his hitting good enough to warrant benching the average AL DH? Perhaps. That would be kind of awesome, but I'm a bit skeptical, and expect he's a bit more attractive to an NL team.
                  Remains to be seen how he does as a hitter in MLB, but he OPSed 1.004 this year in 323 ABs, which would have been best in his league and 4th best overall if he had qualified. His ISO was .266. And he wants to hit when he's not pitching so he's looking for a team that will give him that chance. Best money offer may win out but an AL team seems much more likely to give him that chance.

Comment

Thats a good point about him being a huge advantage over the opposing starter in the NL on pitching days. Obviously too risky to try him in a fielding position on other days, so would be limited to pinch hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      In my AL league we have already declared he would be treated as 2 different players - Pitcher and hitter.

1 owner has him already on his roster - he would declare on draft day if he wants the hitter or Pitcher - he then can be drafted as the opposite.

Rule was taken from our Vintage Draft rule.

Of course - the real question is : Will your Service be able to have him as 2 different players . I use rotowire am not sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X