No announcement yet.

Any amazing come-from-behind finishes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any amazing come-from-behind finishes?

In a couple other posts I mentioned that in one of my leagues I came from way behind at the AS break to challenge for a money place. At the break I had 50.5 pts (12 teams, 9 categories) and the midpoint of the standings is 58.5 pts. I was tied for 8th place overall and I was in dead last in BA (.2504). I had given up all hope of winning any money (3rd place is the last money place) as I would need about 68-70 pts to get into 3rd and the 3rd place team at the time had 69.5 pts. Then, w/o warning, my offense took off. Each week I gained 2-3 percentage pts in BA and I started getting more HRs, RBIs, Runs and SBs, too. By the end of August (8/28), I began to think I could possibly get close to the money but thought this was very unlikely. I still was in the 2nd division w only 55 pts and still in 7th in BA. But at the end of the next week I finally got above the midpoint w 60.5 pts and vaulted to 3rd place in BA. Yet I was still in 6th place overall, 8 pts out of 3rd. Still in the same positions a week later. But by 9/18, I was in 1st in BA (.2726) and had 66.5 pts, just 1.5 pts out of the money. I was finally thinking that this was possible, but still had to jump over 2 other teams, so I still thought it was unlikely. By 9/25, I was tied for 3rd.

Over the last week I swapped 3rd and 4th places several times w another team. Going into the last day, I saw that it actually was possible to finish 2nd if things fell right. I was in 3rd w 68.5 pts and just 0.5 pt behind the 2nd place team. I was tied w him in Wins and we each had 2 starters going on Sunday, Maeda and Wainwright for him and Teheran and Koehler for me. Maeda and Koehler both pitched crappy but Wainwright and Teheran each were in position to win their games. The Cards' pen blew Waino's lead but the Braves held on to win Teheran's beautifully pitched game. In this league (Rotowire) there is no live standings, so you have to figure the current standings yourself. I had a bad day hitting (3-22) and figured that I had fallen into 2nd place in BA. He lost a half point in SB, so I figured that we were each tied for 2nd place now. Had to wait for the official update standings to come out. When they did, I saw that I was all alone in 2nd place by 1 pt. I had gained a pt in ERA because Raisel Iglesias' bad outing (4 ER in 1 IP) had moved a team that was ahead of me behind me. I had noticed Iglesias' outing but didnt think it would be enough to give me another pt. I ended up 3.7393 to the other team's 3.7405. There is a $350 difference between 2nd and 3rd place money, so that outing was worth $175 to me.

I didnt win a title, but this was the most incredible finish I can remember any of my teams having. My team hit .2991 after the AS break to go from .2504 to .2735. and my team gained 18.5 pts overall and improved 6 places to move ahead of teams that had been at the top all year. Too bad the season didnt continue another month - I might have finished 1st!

Edit:
    I neglected to mention that in this league, no moves are allowed, so you cant replace injured players, pick up FAs or make trades. So my players did it all on their own w no help from me. That one reason why it was so amazing.
    Last edited by rhd; 10-03-2016, 07:50 PM.

in 2005, I was 4th in early August, 20 pts back. I had a PGA Tour event that week so utterly ignored the league for that span.
    a week later, I was in first place and eventually won without breaking a sweat.

Randy Winn hit like Manny Ramirez (who the Mets were supposedly going to get, but when they didn't I settled for Winn as a feeble best AL arrival with my spot as top FAAB money) that week and down the stretch. .361, with speed AND power.

that was fun
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I was sub .500 in June, but finished 5th in the regular season and won the playoffs.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
      X