Who's the AL MVP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the AL MVP?

Who's your pick for AL MVP? Here's some of the top candidates and their stats:

Mookie Betts: .320/.365/.538, 119 R, 31 HR, 112 RBI, 26 SB, 131 OPS+, 9.4 WAR
    Mike Trout: .318/.441/.556, 123 R, 29 HR, 99 RBI, 27 SB, 175 OPS+, 10.4 WAR
    Jose Altuve: .337/.396/.534, 107 R, 24 HR, 96 RBI, 28 SB, 155 OPS+, 7.6 WAR
    Josh Donaldson: .285/.406/.556, 122 R, 37 HR, 98 RBI, 7 SB, 154 OPS+, 7.4 WAR
    David Ortiz: .315/.402/.620, 78 R, 37 HR, 124 RBI, 2 SB, 161 OPS+, 4.9 WAR
    Edwin Encarnacion: .266/.358/.536, 98 R, 42 HR, 127 RBI, 2 SB, 134 OPS+, 3.8 WAR
    Adrian Beltre: .298/.356/.520, 88 R, 32 HR, 103 RBI, 1 SB, 126 OPS+, 6.2 WAR
    Manny Machado: .296/.346/.535, 103 R, 36 HR, 95 RBI, 0 SB, 128 OPS+, 6.7 WAR
    Corey Kluber: 18-9, 3.14 ERA, 1.056 WHIP, 227 K, 149 ERA+, 6.5 WAR

Some others include: Mark Trumbo, Robinson Cano, Kyle Seager, Justin Verlander, Brian Dozier, Miggy Cabrera, Rick Porcello.
    Mookie Betts
    0%
    Mike Trout
    0%
    Jose Altuve
    0%
    Josh Donaldson
    0%
    Manny Machado
    0%
    Corey Kluber
    0%
    David Ortiz
    0%
    Edwin Encarnacion
    0%
    Adrian Beltre
    0%
    Other
    0%

The poll is expired.

Funny timing, I was just thinking about this today. Tough call ... I was going to go with Altuve, but that .441 obp for Trout is just too much to ignore ... I knew he was having another great season but he's almost 30-30. I had to take him.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      Funny timing, I was just thinking about this today. Tough call ... I was going to go with Altuve, but that .441 obp for Trout is just too much to ignore ... I knew he was having another great season but he's almost 30-30. I had to take him.
      Does the fact the Angels have a 72-87 record hurt Trout's chances badly? Obviously, it was not his fault they sucked, but voters tend to go with players on the contenders. I wonder if the Red Sox all split their votes and it goes to Trout. No denying he had an awesome year.

Comment

No matter how much papi love is floating around, I just can't see him as mvp. Not even top 5 or top 10 but he'll end up there on, I believe, sentiment. I wonder if he is top 3 on his own team (betts and bogaerts are ahead of him in my estimation).

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
          No matter how much papi love is floating around, I just can't see him as mvp. Not even top 5 or top 10 but he'll end up there on, I believe, sentiment. I wonder if he is top 3 on his own team (betts and bogaerts are ahead of him in my estimation).
          Bogaerts fell off the cliff in the second half, despite having a great overall year.

Comment

Take Trout and put him in the Red Sox lineup and consider how much better his RBI and Run totals would be. Why should Trout be penalized for playing on a crap team? Andre Dawson come to mind?

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
              Take Trout and put him in the Red Sox lineup and consider how much better his RBI and Run totals would be. Why should Trout be penalized for playing on a crap team? Andre Dawson come to mind?
              Andre Dawson does come to mind -- but that was 30 years ago, so it goes to show you how long it's been since a player on a last-place team won MVP. Plus, Dawson's award came in a pre-sabermetric era (which actually benefits the Trout argument), as he finished well outside the Top 10 NL players in WAR that year.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Does the fact the Angels have a 72-87 record hurt Trout's chances badly? Obviously, it was not his fault they sucked, but voters tend to go with players on the contenders. I wonder if the Red Sox all split their votes and it goes to Trout. No denying he had an awesome year.
                Ah but you are addressing the question "who will win the AL MVP". That's a different matter.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I voted for Kluber because I think he anchored that staff and team. I do not expect him to win.

Halos were terrible with Trout and would have been terrible without him. I think Mookie wins even though he has a pretty good supporting cast. He had a monster year.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Yawn. Trout again.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Trout takes it.

Comment

Working...
                      X