Never again players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never again players

All of us have them....guys who after said season will forever be on your "I will never draft this muthaeffer ever again" list. Who made it this year for you?

Mine is hands down undoubtedly Ben Revere. Never again.

Francisco Liriano. Killed my pitching in a couple of leagues when I didn't have pitcher keepers. He was to be my staff "ace" and make my pitching respectable.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Years ago, I started a similar post "Not even for a buck."

I certainly have had a few disappointments this year, but I currently have no one on my roster that I can say never again.

Ben Revere is a good one. I look forward to seeing who others post.

I am glad you started this.

Comment

Like Gregg, nobody major that stands out - if pushed I'll say my $1 C, Derek Norris - I thought I could handle a .225 avg in exchange for some pop; I got the pop, I just didn't expect the .180 avg. But there are lots of $1 catchers in the end game.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

End-gamers of only-leagues make this list frequently .... this year it was Omar Infante ($3; though I doubt Infante plays meaningful innings). I waived Infante (KC followed my lead the next week) when I was able to pick up the oft-injured Jed Lowrie in a minor trade. Lowrie was about as craptastic as Infante.

I coughed up $7 on Andrew Cashner near the end the starting pitcher run in another auction. Never again.

I paid $1 for Jon Jay at the end of the same auction. I see why league members let me have him ..... Interestingly, I was able to trade both Jay and Cashner during the season.

I froze Carlos Gomez. I just don't see me bidding on him again. Once bitten, twice shy. Again, I was able to trade Gomez during the season (in fact a team approached me for him in May ..... I couldn't press "accept" fast enough!).
          "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
          "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
          WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
          PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Gomez for me too...paid $65 last year, my worst buy ever.

Tulo another guy I'll never own.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

It would be hard to consider Giancarlo Stanton as a 1st rounder again. I didn't draft him for fear of exactly what happened this year. He's just too injury prone.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Gomez for me too...paid $65 last year, my worst buy ever.

Tulo another guy I'll never own.
                I was thinking Tulo as well...but then I realized if someone said a buck and no one said two, I would. That led to well me wondering how high would I go for a guy don't really want. So for old Tulo it is not a matter of never but still how much?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  It would be hard to consider Giancarlo Stanton as a 1st rounder again. I didn't draft him for fear of exactly what happened this year. He's just too injury prone.
                  A couple of weeks ago I traded Ryan Howard for the injured and probably non keeper $45A Giancarlo Stanton (12 team only). I have a lot of cheap keeps and I have to admit I am tempted to keep him. I most likely will not but ...if I do he might very well be on this list next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    I was thinking Tulo as well...but then I realized if someone said a buck and no one said two, I would. That led to well me wondering how high would I go for a guy don't really want. So for old Tulo it is not a matter of never but still how much?
                    Right, but there's always someone willing to go well higher than me. I think he went for $24 this year. Gomez went for $41!
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I have Tulo this year ... despite his horrid first couple of months he is up to .251-24-77 ... not all-star, but not in the "never again" category, for me anyway.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Never again:
                        Ben Revere
                        Tyson Ross
                        Andrew Cashner

Guys that I'd still draft but I've knocked them down a peg or two:
                        Giancarlo Stanton
                        Hunter Pence
                        Matt Adams

Comment

I think as a non-Revere/Ross owner, those guys are bargains for next year. In Ross's case it was an injury, but I still have no idea what happened with Revere. Very bizarre. An amazingly consistent .300, high contact hitter in the prime of his career just doesn't fall off the cliff.

I'll flip a few out that I won't touch next season, regardless if I owned them this year:
                          - Jimmy Nelson - silent ratio killer
                          - Francisco Liriano
                          - Yordano Ventura
                          - Jaime Garcia - Always seems to get beat up when I draft him
                          - James Shields
                          - Edinson Volquez
                          - Derek Norris - stuck with him waaaaaaay too long
                          - Ryan Zimmerman - if it's not the injuries, it's the ineffectiveness
                          - Colby Rasmus - seems to always get squeezed out
                          - Yan Gomes
                          - Chris Davis & Chris Carter -- the bottom is endless

Comment

Pitchers in general. Entering the playoffs I lost Carrasco, Salazar, Cueto and Greinke. I have punted Wins and K's. Pitchers suck Back to the actual topic

Agree on Cashner and have also downgraded Stanton. I am also going to stop looking for that guy that I think will finally stay healthy. I'll let someone else get that "bargain".

Oh, and David Ortiz....never again

Comment

For me it's Revere. I traded for him early in the season thinking he'll help me in SB and ended dropping him. I drafted Norris way to high at $10 and dropped him also. Kept Nelson at a buck and thank you to those you told not to extend his contract ended up dropping him too. Traded for Heyward (part of a package deal) and he turned out to be horrible. He would need to come at a low price next year to consider him.

Comment

Working...
                              X