Ubaldo Venting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubaldo Venting Thread

I am about to slit my wrists..This was my $32 keeper NL only league..
    He is absolutely killing my team. He got shelled again by the Pirates at home today.
    Since AS break last year he has been pretty bad..He was Bob Gibson the 1st half.
    What is going on here?

He wasn't any better in the first half of 2010 than he was in 2009 - he was just luckier.

xERA of 3.31 in 2009, 3.25 in 1st half of 2010, and 3.41 in 2nd half of 2010.

If you're looking at 3.47 ERA in 2009, 2.27 in 1st half of 2010, and 3.59 in 2nd half of 2010, then I guess he looks like a different pitcher to you.

I wouldn't panic - 4.26 xERA in small sample size entering today, off-the-charts FB/HR rate and pitiful strand rate. A bit wild so that ticks the numbers up, but if he's healthy he can right this ship and again be a very solid (albeit not a $32) SP. He's got a talented arm.

ok, not quite as simple as xERA only. But if you evaluate by ERA and your rival goes by xERA, you're going to need a lot of luck to beat him....
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Oh my.

Comment

Thing is, he's still throwing plenty hard enough to win games. But he's off his game - could be lack of confidence in not having the killer heater, I think he was banged up in spring training...

If I owned him I'd be doing some google searches to find comments for further sense of where his head and body is. But even if it's unsettling, the vultures won't likely pay a fair return anyway...
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

i had a choice between Ubaldo and Kershaw. I chose poorly.

Comment

I'm sorry to come across stupid...but what is this chart saying?

Signed, Frustated Ubaldo owner

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post

He is not throwing as hard as last year. I am hoping the good news is the fastball speed has gone up per start.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                  He is not throwing as hard as last year. I am hoping the good news is the fastball speed has gone up per start.
                  Ok, thanks....yeah, his wildness is really starting to scare me.

Especially after he got his butt whipped by the Pirates....ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post

His average fastball speed in 2008 was around 95 mph. His average fastball speed in 2009 was 95-96 mph. The first ten starts of 2010, his average fastball was around 97 mph. The rest of 2010, he was back around 95-96 mph. This year, his fastball has averaged around 94 mph. (These speeds are adjusted for temperatures, so a colder April shouldn't matter much.)

Having a slower fastball does directly cost some runs (one run per 9 IP for each 4 mph lost, for the average starting pitcher), but of bigger concern is that it may be a symptom of other problems, either health-wise or mechanical.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

His average fastball speed in 2008 was around 95 mph. His average fastball speed in 2009 was 95-96 mph. The first ten starts of 2010, his average fastball was around 97 mph. The rest of 2010, he was back around 95-96 mph. This year, his fastball has averaged around 94 mph. (These speeds are adjusted for temperatures, so a colder April shouldn't matter much.)

Having a slower fastball does directly cost some runs (one run per 9 IP for each 4 mph lost, for the average starting pitcher), but of bigger concern is that it may be a symptom of other problems, either health-wise or mechanical.
                      Thanks for the interpretation, my friend.

Comment

Nightmare

the nightmare continues.pitches well and bullpen blows it.. can't catch a break.

On pace for 1.5 wins for the 2011 season.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaM View Post
                          the nightmare continues.pitches well and bullpen blows it.. can't catch a break.

On pace for 1.5 wins for the 2011 season.
                          for what it's worth, his slider was unhittable in the early innings
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

5 BBs in 3 innings....to the NY Mets? WTF happened to this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              5 BBs in 3 innings....to the NY Mets? WTF happened to this guy?
                              another disaster for Ubaldo today: 3 2/3 IP, 3 H, 6 BB, 5 ER, 3 K. What a friggin' bust.

Comment

Working...
                              X