Jeesh, just shut him down already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeesh, just shut him down already

Or at least DL him so we can add a fill-in...

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington suggested Sunday that there is no longer a timetable for Starling Marte's (back) return to the starting lineup.
    Marte has been on the shelf since September 5 due to back problems and apparently suffered a setback over the weekend. "We felt like we were getting really close to getting him able to go compete again, and then another tough day," Huntington said. "Now we need to take a deep breath and re-evaluate. The last thing we want to do is put somebody back out there when they’re not ready to compete and they could do some damage, or worse damage." It's been a frustrating stretch for Marte owners, to say the least. He's sitting on a .311/.362/.457 batting line and 47 stolen bases. Adam Frazier and Matt Joyce have been playing left field.
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
    Or at least DL him so we can add a fill-in...

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington suggested Sunday that there is no longer a timetable for Starling Marte's (back) return to the starting lineup.
    Marte has been on the shelf since September 5 due to back problems and apparently suffered a setback over the weekend. "We felt like we were getting really close to getting him able to go compete again, and then another tough day," Huntington said. "Now we need to take a deep breath and re-evaluate. The last thing we want to do is put somebody back out there when they’re not ready to compete and they could do some damage, or worse damage." It's been a frustrating stretch for Marte owners, to say the least. He's sitting on a .311/.362/.457 batting line and 47 stolen bases. Adam Frazier and Matt Joyce have been playing left field.
    Thought this was a Mith post.

Comment

No DL in September with expanded rosters. I know. It sucks.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Duh, right...#HomerSimpsonVoice stupid no good lousy expanded rosters....

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

There actually is, but many teams just choose not to place players on the DL because of the roster expansion.

Comment

Sure does. Lost Marte, Salazar and Carrasco for the finals.

Comment

we have a rule others may considering adopting. If a player is announced out or done for the season by his team in September it is tantamount to be being on the DL.

Comment

we specifically DON'T allow for such players to be replaced unless they use a waiver move to dump them - it makes the strategy much more interesting, is the sentiment. One guy waived Strasburg 36-S2 this week, and another is using one of his six waiver moves to claim him so that no one can get him at 20-S2 after clearing waivers.

and as a Dee Gordon owner at start of the season, I have the tiniest violin for those who lose Marte for weeks and not months.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Marte after the Pirates fell out of it: substitute "back" for "arm"

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

There has been a reported Marte sighting! At least in the box score. Wish i would have watched the end of the game now to see how he looked swinging the bat. Marte pinch hit and struck out in the 9th inning Wednesday. No word yet on how he felt afterward. Keep your fingers crossed Marte owners.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Good news: Marte in the starting lineup Thursday!

Bad news: Marte removed from the game after one at bat (singled) with more back issues.

This has to be something more serious than spasms if it's lasting three weeks. Marte needs to get a second opinion on his back.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

What a pussy.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

They've gotta shut him down w/ only one week to go, right? Would love to drop him for another great bullpen arm to help my WHIP/ERA....

C- J.McCann
                          1B-Cron
                          2B- Villar
                          SS- Andrus
                          3B-Baez
                          MI-L. Gurriel
                          CI- Y.Gurriel
                          UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                            They've gotta shut him down w/ only one week to go, right? Would love to drop him for another great bullpen arm to help my WHIP/ERA....
                            Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Me too.
                              F*ck it, I'm dropping him for Devenski.

C- J.McCann
                              1B-Cron
                              2B- Villar
                              SS- Andrus
                              3B-Baez
                              MI-L. Gurriel
                              CI- Y.Gurriel
                              UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Working...
                              X