2602 hits
    311 sb (49 cs)

9 time all-star
    3 Gold Gloves
    2 silver sluggers
    1999 rookie of the year
    1 top 5 MVP finish
    One of the best postseason hitters ever: .332/.441/.674 in 184 ab's

EDIT: I'd listed 491 home runs, originally. He actually has 419. Big difference...
    Yes, he'd get in if he retired right now.
    0%
    Yes, as long he has a couple more productive seasons.
    0%
    Yes, as long as he plays a couple more years and pads his counting stats.
    0%
    No, great career but not Hall of Fame level.
    0%
    No, not even close.
    0%

I'm going to say "No, great career but not HOF level."

He was a perennial All-Star (in terms of production, not fan votes), but out of his 19 seasons, he only finished twice in the Top 10 for MVP. I think that says it all.

Comment

He'll be an interesting one - pretty good power numbers with no mention of PEDs along with the speed in his prime. Might be that he belongs in the fantasy baseball HOF more than the actual baseball HOF but I think part of his lack of MVP votes was being on a bad Royals team during his prime years.

Comment

I voted close but no. But I should have voted if he pads his stats. I mean, it is possible he plays 3-4 more years and if so, he could get to 3000 hits, and that seems to make a guy an automatic HOFer, unless he is tainted by PEDs.

Comment

He can, if he can pad his stats in a couple more years. 2900 hits would look awfully nice, along with 450 HR, 1700 or so RBI and runs.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Eventually, yes.

Comment

Well Tony Perez career stats are 23 yrs are:

.279/.341/.463
              379 hr
              1652 rbi
              1272 runs
              2,732 hits
              49 sb (33 cs)

I would say since Perez is in I see no reason for Beltran not to be in.

Comment

every player like Beltran from an earlier era is in the HOF already. factor in his defensive prowess in younger years and his ridiculous postseason stats, I find it comical that anyone would think he is not a HOFer.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

part of my bias with guys like Beltran is my fading memory ... he just came up two or three years ago, right? that outfield with Damon & Dye should be a good one for a few years.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    every player like Beltran from an earlier era is in the HOF already. factor in his defensive prowess in younger years and his ridiculous postseason stats, I find it comical that anyone would think he is not a HOFer.
                    I think the PED era has definitely set the bar higher for hitters, right or wrong. It's a weird reality, in which players who get popped don't get in, but their amazing performances still make others look worse by comparison.
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-14-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Beltran makes an interesting study. To me the tipping point is the top comparisons--Dave Winfield, Dwight Evans, Andre Dawson are big armed RF while Beltran was a quality CF. So, I reconsidered.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I chanced across a mention of Beltran in an article on Adrian Beltre. Beltre is a no-brainer HoF player to SABR types, but not so much to many casual fans (such as the writers who vote). Beltre was one of 10 players who was below the HoF average for projected WAR but over for actual WAR. In his case, it was from being the second best defensive 3B in history, after Brooks Robinson.

Beltan was another of the 10 players. Again, this is possibly because his defense is under-rated by his hardware. He was the best defensive CF at least three times when he did not win the GG. The article is over a year old, so both players added outstanding seasons to their resume.
                        A long drive, deep over the outfield wall … without a boost from performance-enhancing drugs. It’s an old-time ideal that Adrian Beltre of the Texas Rangers has…

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          Beltran makes an interesting study. To me the tipping point is the top comparisons--Dave Winfield, Dwight Evans, Andre Dawson are big armed RF while Beltran was a quality CF. So, I reconsidered.

J
                          exactly. the confusion is that so many great OFs - Cobb, Speaker, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mays, Griffey Jr - played CF. they were better hitters than even most corner-hitting OFs, so no bonus was needed.

when Beltran was a good CF in his prime along with that offensive contribution, that is one great player. way better than most teams could offer there, whereas your 30-HR lummox gets matched by my similar lummox.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Carlos Beltran has announced his retirement from baseball.
                            The 40-year-old gets to go out on top after winning the World Series with the Astros. A nine-time All-Star, Beltran will finish his career with a .279/.350/.486 batting line, 435 home runs, 1,587 RBI and 312 stolen bases. He played 20 years in the major leagues, having stints with the Royals, Mets, Yankees, Cardinals, Giants, Rangers and Astros. Beltran stands a very good chance of eventually being elected to the Hall of Fame.
                            (Source: The Players' Tribune via Rotoworld)

He also finished his career with 2,725 hits.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

CB is gonna be an interesting case. To me, he is borderline. I wouldn't be mad if he made it, and I wouldn't be mad if he didn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X