Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Shoemaker skull fracture 9-4-16

Holy crap!

Matt Shoemaker sustained a small skull fracture and hematoma when hit by a line drive during Sunday's start against the Mariners.
    The right-hander will spend the night in the hospital and visit a neurologist. There is no clear timetable for his return at the moment, but with the Angels out of playoff contention they certainly won't rush him back into action. Sep 4 - 7:36 PM

Matt Shoemaker was forced to leave Sunday's start against the Mariners after being drilled in the head by a line drive off the bat of Kyle Seager.
    The line drive was clocked at 105 mph, and hit Shoemaker in the right side of his head. In a very scary moment, Shoemaker remained on the ground for some time while being tended to by medical staff. He was able to walk off the field with the help of the trainers, holding a towel to his head. He'll head for further evaluation. The Angels should have an update on his status shortly, but fantasy owners relying on him for next week may want to secure an alternative option. Sep 4 - 4:47 PM
    Sources: Pedro Moura on Twitter via Rotoworld
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Tim Mead ‏@TMeadAngels

Matt is speaking, interacting & doing well considering the trauma. Will spend night in hospital for continued observation. #Angels.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Was he wearing one of those new padded caps? Did those ever get worn in MLB or MiLB? I remember they were being prototyped in spring training.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        Was he wearing one of those new padded caps? Did those ever get worn in MLB or MiLB? I remember they were being prototyped in spring training.
        No, Shoemaker wasn't wearing a protective cap and i haven't seen them or heard about them since spring training. I'm sure this incident will get that discussion going again.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Looks like Shoemaker had almost no time to react to that line drive.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Man, this guy has had a rough 24 hours. I hope that he makes a full recovery.

Angels placed RHP Matt Shoemaker on the 15-day disabled list with a small skull fracture.
            Shoemaker had to be rushed to the hospital Sunday after taking a line drive to the head. He suffered a small skull fracture and hematoma, and needed emergency late-night surgery to stop additional bleeding. The right-hander is likely done pitching in 2016.
            Source:Rotoworld Sep 5 - 4:00 PM

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I hope so too. A hit like that...might be awhile before he even knows the full extent of the affects on him.

Relatively inconsequentially, I have him cheap, and it will be tough to commit to him after that. Sometimes that sort of thing stays with a guy a good long while. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be hit near the temple by a baseball going 105mph. That is one of those things that if it hit just right on the temple, it could have killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I hope so too. A hit like that...might be awhile before he even knows the full extent of the affects on him.

Relatively inconsequentially, I have him cheap, and it will be tough to commit to him after that. Sometimes that sort of thing stays with a guy a good long while. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be hit near the temple by a baseball going 105mph. That is one of those things that if it hit just right on the temple, it could have killed him.

Agree - see Archie Bradley for an example.

Comment

Shoemaker was released from the hospital on Tuesday. Have to think that he could still miss time at the start of the 2017 season with such a severe injury to recover from both physically and mentally.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X