Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The very, very early post about the unique issues posed by 2-way player Shohei Otani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The very, very early post about the unique issues posed by 2-way player Shohei Otani

You all know who Shohei Otani is. What you probably didnt know is that (this year, at least) in addition to being the best pitcher in Japan, he also is one of the best hitters there. If he qualified for the batting race, his OPS (1.060) would be #3 in the Japan Leagues, behind Tetsuto Yamada (1.095) and Yoshitomo Tsutsugo (1.096). He has only about half as many ABs as the qualifiers because he typically hits in only 3 games per week.

#1 - How would fantasy sites accommodate a 2-way player?
    I don't think they are set up to do this now: you select a player to be either a hitter or a pitcher, not both. They ignore hitting stats of pitchers. They could modify their code to allow both stats of certain designated pitchers to be counted, but not those of all the other pitchers. If they did this, the fantasy team that got him would in effect have one more player than the other teams. If he's anywhere close to as good in the US as he is in Japan, he probably would be the most valuable fantasy player of all-time. It might be simpler just to create 2 Shohei Otani's: a "hitter-Otani" and a "pitcher-Otani". Then you could draft or bid on each one separately.

#2 - Would an MLB team let him both pitch and hit?
    This is a very big real issue as he really wants to do both and his Japanese team (Hokkaido) is letting him do both. This supposedly is a key condition for him coming to MLB at all, as reportedly he wont come if he is not allowed to do both. It's understandable why a MLB team wouldnt want him or any pitcher to hit, because it's hard enough to develop a player to be just a hitter or just a pitcher w/o developing them for both, and because they dont want to expose their pitchers to the additional risks of injury that they would by having them hit. For this latter reason, an AL team might be more inclined to let him hit as he could just DH and not have to play the field (his team plays in the Pacific League which has the DH, so I'm not sure how often he's playing the field in Japan, if at all). I havent heard any MLB team comment on this. At least if I were an AL team, if I thought he could be a star I think I'd let him hit as a DH.

If an MLB team allowed him to do this, it would encourage other pitchers to push for this also. It seems a bit strange to me that this hasnt been tried already, or at least seriously discussed. Altho there hasnt been a 2-way player in MLB since Babe Ruth, these players are common in college (e.g., I've seen both Carlos Rodon and Marcus Stroman as hitters in college). And this would enable a team to extend the size of its bench w/o dropping a pitcher from the roster, which would be particularly valuable in the AL. Potential for a competitive advantage.

BTW, in next year's WBC, he will be allowed to both pitch and hit.
    Last edited by rhd; 09-01-2016, 09:31 AM.

cbs has a function which allows you to place a player at ANY position. I am not sure if the system is set up for hitting stats to accumulate if cc sabathia was moved from his pitching slot to the dh though.

As for roster set up, it is quite easy. When you move a pitcher to dh, the dh is reserved and you activate another pitcher to fill the vacated 9th slot.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
      cbs has a function which allows you to place a player at ANY position. I am not sure if the system is set up for hitting stats to accumulate if cc sabathia was moved from his pitching slot to the dh though.

As for roster set up, it is quite easy. When you move a pitcher to dh, the dh is reserved and you activate another pitcher to fill the vacated 9th slot.
      But would your fantasy league allow this?

Comment

Maybe fantasy sites could/would separate him into two players. Then it would be possible for Shohei Otani the hitter and Shohei Otani the pitcher to be drafted by two different teams.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          This is a great question. My guess is yes but with much debate.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Maybe fantasy sites could/would separate him into two players. Then it would be possible for Shohei Otani the hitter and Shohei Otani the pitcher to be drafted by two different teams.
            If he was only batting 3 days a week could you even put him in your line up as a hitter????

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              The John Montgomery Ward rule!

Vintage drafters know it well...
              We need to get a draft going!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                If he was only batting 3 days a week could you even put him in your line up as a hitter????

In very deep NL only leagues it could be attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  In my NL only league (assuming he signed NL) I could put him in as a position player or UT once he gets 5 games on offense. On days when he pitches he would have to be out of the offense and in as a pitcher. On those days I would get only pitching stats. It would essentially give me an extra player/pitcher on my roster.

After writing the above, I think it would work the same in my AL only as well. I just couldn't get hitting stats on days he pitches.

Comment

Working...
                  X