Prince Fielder to Retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Fielder to Retire

news conference tomorrow. He'll finish his career with 319 HRs, the exact same amount as his pop, Cecil Fielder.

I was wondering about the contract ...

Originally posted by rotoworld
    ... He's still guaranteed $20 million per season through 2020. The Rangers are believed to have insurance on at least part of the deal.
    they're dropping like flies ...
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

He's guaranteed money even after he retires?!
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        He's guaranteed money even after he retires?!
        I'm just guessing, but I suspect there's a subtle but important difference between outright retiring vs retiring due to a medical condition. I'm no doctor but I suspect that cervical fusion to repair a herniated disk gives him a pretty good case.

Having said that I'm sure that there have been/will be contract lawyers all over this.

edit: a bit more detail coming out ... source said Docs insistent that trying to play again would cause too much risk for further destabilization of Fielder's neck/spine ... Fielder will be deemed "medically disabled"; Rangers financial commitment to Fielder will be $9 million per year through 2020, insurance policy will pay 50% based on Rangers commitment of $18 million
        Last edited by TranaGreg; 08-09-2016, 02:19 PM.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Rangers have some insurance on the deal.

Fielder won't retire because then he foregoes the cash. He would just stay on a medically unable to perform list and the Rangers likely re-do his deal.

Comment

Tigers were very fortunate to have traded him when they did. His post-season performance and the perceived nonchalant not caring attitude after the Red Sox disposed the Tigers in the 2013 ALCS doomed any chance of him coming back. Prince was an Illich signing. If it was Dombrowski choice Fielder never would have been a Tiger but he was able to work out the trade to the Rangers for Kinsler. That being said the Tigers will still have to pay part of his contract which from what I read is $24 mil out of the $104 left. It's too bad his career has to end like this.

Comment

Working...
            X