Puig Goes AWOL...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puig Goes AWOL...

Thank God that I got out from underneath this guy last week...sorry Tim.

Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig “stormed off” and did not travel with the team to Colorado on Monday after being told that he would be either traded or demoted, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes. The Dodgers did not trade him before today’s 3:00pm deadline. It’s unclear what the team’s next move might be.

The Dodgers’ recent acquisition of Josh Reddick from the Athletics would appear to affect Puig’s usefulness with the Dodgers. Puig has batted a disappointing .260/.320/.386 in 303 plate appearances this season. He was the subject of trade rumors heading up to the deadline, with the White Sox reportedly showing interest. He had also been connected to the Dodgers’ talks with the Reds regarding Jay Bruce.

Puig burst on the scene as a 22-year-old rookie in 2013, but he’s hit worse in every season since then, with his average, on-base percentage and power all gradually diminishing. His struggles have led to a drop in fWAR from 5.3 in 2014 to 0.5 so far this season.
    SATURDAY: Puig is expected to report to the Oklahoma City Dodgers tomorrow, Rosenthal reports (all Twitter links). The reason his debut …
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I'm reminded of Karl Malone talking about Derrick Coleman as one of the most talented players he played against, but how he didn't have the discipline, focus, and work ethic to live up to it. The annals of sports history are littered with players folks remember for their wasted potential. Puig is moving farther down that path.

The commish in my league traded a ton of expiring pieces just to get Puig. Lots were equally perplexed and mad, but he is extremely confident that Puig will be a stud. That may be, but I wouldn't have traded all my expiring/expensive pieces to trade for Puig on a $20 guaranteed contract for the next three years.

Comment

Now they're saying he was told that he was going to be traded or demoted and to not show up for the flight, and he complied. He's being demoted to Triple-A tomorrow.

Comment

And I was admonished for saying he's a head case.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Now they're saying he was told that he was going to be traded or demoted and to not show up for the flight, and he complied. He's being demoted to Triple-A tomorrow.
          Yup, Kenny Rosenthal has apologized on Twitter for getting it wrong...social media sucks for accuracy sometimes.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Yup, Kenny Rosenthal has apologized on Twitter for getting it wrong...social media sucks for accuracy sometimes.
            True, but regardless of his response, the fact that that a talent such as his is back in AAA still represents a tremendous waste of potential for which Puig must be at least partially culpable. Maybe the Dodgers could have helped him more too--idk. I just know he has more talent that most OFers, and yet deservedly got sent down in favor of a pedestrian talent like Reddick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              True, but regardless of his response, the fact that that a talent such as his is back in AAA still represents a tremendous waste of potential for which Puig must be at least partially culpable. Maybe the Dodgers could have helped him more too--idk. I just know he has more talent that most OFers, and yet deservedly got sent down in favor of a pedestrian talent like Reddick.
              Oh, no question...Puig may be his own worst enemy, but the Dodgers organization is a close 2nd. From the way Donnie handled him, to the front office, it's just been one crap fest after another.

He's an incredibly talented player, I just doubt that he's ever going to be able to harness those talents, even at the young age he's at.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I think Puig needs to be on a team with strong character. Frankly, I'm not sure how many of those there are, but the Giants are one of them. Understanding that they would NEVER trade him to their rivals to the north, the Dodgers are not likely to get much more out of him. Sometimes men are boys and they need a guiding hand. Puig seems particularly in need.

And no need to apologize, Steve. I gave up nothing for him I really needed, and I figured he's just the kind of risk I should take. Of course, I also said that about taking on a $11 Michael Brantley and we can see how well THAT turned out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  And I was admonished for saying he's a head case.
                  Honestly, this was the very first thing I thought when I heard this story; Mith was right!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

His numbers were good for June/July, in limited starts. 107 PA, ~ .300/.380/.430

I think Houston seems like best potential for him. Colby Rasmus went from public nuisance to fun team guy there.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      His numbers were good for June/July, in limited starts. 107 PA, ~ .300/.380/.430

I think Houston seems like best potential for him. Colby Rasmus went from public nuisance to fun team guy there.
                      I didn't think about the Astros, but yeah, I agree that would be a good fit. Rasmus is probably gone next year, maybe Gomez too, the kids they have haven't born fruit quite yet, so that might be a nice landing pad for him. Off the bright lights track as well...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Ken Rosenthal issued a retraction and apology on Twitter:

"To those upset with first version of Puig story: I’m with you. I take great pride in accuracy. It infuriates me that a key detail was wrong. The information came from sources, but that’s not an excuse. It’s my job to check everything thoroughly. The only solution in a situation like this is to apologize, correct the mistake and learn from it. And that’s what I’m doing."

Then Yasiel Puig himself chimed in:
                        "@ken_rosenthal don't worry bro, we all make mistakes #puigyourfriend #seeyousoon"

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                          I think Puig needs to be on a team with strong character. Frankly, I'm not sure how many of those there are, but the Giants are one of them. Understanding that they would NEVER trade him to their rivals to the north, the Dodgers are not likely to get much more out of him. Sometimes men are boys and they need a guiding hand. Puig seems particularly in need.

And no need to apologize, Steve. I gave up nothing for him I really needed, and I figured he's just the kind of risk I should take. Of course, I also said that about taking on a $11 Michael Brantley and we can see how well THAT turned out for me.
                          If by strong character you mean guys with long greasy gross hair then I suppose you're right 😉

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            If by strong character you mean guys with long greasy gross hair then I suppose you're right ��
                            Haha! Yeah, the Giants do have a stringy-hair thing going. They're a mess with the hair.

But Bochy is SO good at managing personalities and keeping egos in check. Now that the rest of the world has seen Sandoval, you should gain some appreciation for what Bochy was able to get out of him. Perhaps, "character" is the wrong word. It's more about "team first", I guess, a willingness to subvert whatever personal goals you may have for the greater good. No one gets everyone on the same page like Bochy. Puig needs a manager like him. (In fact, so does probably another LA OF in Andrew Toles, who is also a troubled and talented guy.)

Comment

Working...
                            X