Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melvin Upton to the Jays

For an as-yet unnamed Class A prospect

Just saw it. Wonder who it will be? Also will the Padres be promoting Margot?

Comment

Pros: Much better lineup, contender. But while many are saying a move from Petco to Rogers Centre will be a big bat upgrade, the parks are eeeeeerily similar in R/HR per game: 10th & 12th in Runs, respectively, and 14th & 15th in HR. i.e. Petco still being a pitchers paradise is grossly exaggerated.

Cons: Will he run as much? This worries me. Andy Green might as well be named Greenlight (see what I did there?)...Pads are 5th in SB attempts per game. But Toronto & Gibbons—sad trombone—are 26th. That, and all the amateur psychologists predict that Melvin won't handle a move well, since he hasn't before.

So, is he a sell relatively high? If so, one route would be to prey on those owners who still perceive Petco as a cavernous offensive wasteland and Rogers as "Coors Field East". And you can sell him as a speed/INCREASED power guy when he might stay the same in power and decrease in steals.
      12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
      1B-Cron
      2B- Villar
      SS- Andrus
      3B-Baez
      MI-L. Gurriel
      CI- Y.Gurriel
      OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
      UTIL- Benintendi
      BENCH: Pence, Dyson
      SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
      RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
      IL: Buxton

Comment

The Padres get RHP Hansel Rodriguez and are covering $17m of the remaining $22m of MUpton's contract.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          The Padres get RHP Hansel Rodriguez and are covering $17m of the remaining $22m of MUpton's contract.
          Wow. I guess that eliminates the concern that getting him will interfere with FA negotiations with Encarnacion and Joey Bats.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The Padres were lucky he not only performed well enough to trade, but also to save some money on his contract. Hansel is a great bonus. Preller has done pretty well undoing his winning the off-season two years ago

That combined with a strong draft and absolutely crushing the international draft and we can all stop talking about his being on the hot seat as apparently he's going to get some time to see if his guys work out or not.

As someone who has Upton in every league, I'm happy to see him in a better hitters Park.

As a Padre fan, sad to see him go.

Comment

Am I crazy in thinking the Padres should've gotten more? I realize Mel is a better fantasy guy than real life with that low OBP and such, but the kid they got wasn't even in Sickels's pre-season top 20 for the Blue Jays so I was surprised they had to cover so much of his salary. I guess it's a buyer's market for outfielders right now.

Fantasy-wise, would Upton be the type of player to empty your FAAB budget for in an AL-only if you need steals?

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                Pros: Much better lineup, contender. But while many are saying a move from Petco to Rogers Centre will be a big bat upgrade, the parks are eeeeeerily similar in R/HR per game: 10th & 12th in Runs, respectively, and 14th & 15th in HR. i.e. Petco still being a pitchers paradise is grossly exaggerated.

Cons: Will he run as much? This worries me. Andy Green might as well be named Greenlight (see what I did there?)...Pads are 5th in SB attempts per game. But Toronto & Gibbons—sad trombone—are 26th. That, and all the amateur psychologists predict that Melvin won't handle a move well, since he hasn't before.

So, is he a sell relatively high? If so, one route would be to prey on those owners who still perceive Petco as a cavernous offensive wasteland and Rogers as "Coors Field East". And you can sell him as a speed/INCREASED power guy when he might stay the same in power and decrease in steals.
                Yeah, the Padres have made changes to the park to make it less of an extreme pitchers park, and those changes have worked. It is still a pitchers park, but it is no longer the anti-Coors (and the Rockies have also made changes to limit homers, which seem to have worked as well, although the OF is still so damn big, and pitches still don't break right, so there is just so much they can do).

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Am I crazy in thinking the Padres should've gotten more? I realize Mel is a better fantasy guy than real life with that low OBP and such, but the kid they got wasn't even in Sickels's pre-season top 20 for the Blue Jays so I was surprised they had to cover so much of his salary. I guess it's a buyer's market for outfielders right now.

Fantasy-wise, would Upton be the type of player to empty your FAAB budget for in an AL-only if you need steals?
                  Yessir.

Comment

Yessir.
                    Seconded.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't see this as anything more than adding a good defender and a part time player. How often is he going to play in the field? Joey Bats is back EE is at DH and 1st, and Smoak just signed a contract, IIRC. Now you have to roll all 4 through 3 spots...guess what, EE isn't going to sit, and neither if Bautista. I don't know how many starts that leaves for Mel...I'm betting no more than 3-4 a week though.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        I don't see this as anything more than adding a good defender and a part time player. How often is he going to play in the field? Joey Bats is back EE is at DH and 1st, and Smoak just signed a contract, IIRC. Now you have to roll all 4 through 3 spots...guess what, EE isn't going to sit, and neither if Bautista. I don't know how many starts that leaves for Mel...I'm betting no more than 3-4 a week though.
                        Justin Smoak should not be a hindrance to Upton's playing time.

Comment

Justin Smoak should not be a hindrance to Upton's playing time.
                          This.

Comment

for those of you in NL leagues, it looks like the primary beneficiary in SD will be Dickerson for now.

‏@JonHeyman
                            Padres also wanted to give Dickerson a chance to play. He has hit at every level. #melvindeal
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                              for those of you in NL leagues, it looks like the primary beneficiary in SD will be Dickerson for now.

‏@JonHeyman
                              Padres also wanted to give Dickerson a chance to play. He has hit at every level. #melvindeal
                              I've been saying this ever since they brought him up. I hope you guys grabbed him when he was dirt cheap. Renfroe and Margot are still better long-term SD OF buys, but there's a chance that Dickerson could outearn both of them in 2016-2017.

Comment

Working...
                              X