"Money" positions at the ASB and end of season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Money" positions at the ASB and end of season

Has anyone looked at the chances of finishing in a money spot if a team is in such a position at the All-Star Break in a standard rotisserie league?

I've looked at the standings at the ASB and compared them to the final standings in my two local leagues. The records aren’t complete. I only have data for 20 seasons; seven years in our AL league and 13 years for our NL league. I understand that this is a small sample. Both leagues allow trading, are keepers, have a $260 budget at the auction, use FAAB to pick up players after the ASB, don’t have benches, and have played 4x4 but are now 5x5. I'm the only owner that plays in both leagues.

We’ve paid the top four or five teams depending on the size of the leagues. The leagues have fluctuated in size – as small as 10 and as large as 14 teams. The last two spots that finish “in the money” don’t get much. The last team to get a payout typically gets enough to take a date to the movies and buy popcorn and a drink; the team right ahead of them typically gets enough to cover their buy-in expenses.

Here’s a summary of what I found:

• A surprising 90% (18 of 20) of the time the team in first at the break finished in first at the end of the season. There were years when the lead changed after break (last year the lead in our AL league switched six times in the last eleven days), but this fact surprised me.

• Teams in a money spot at the break finished in a money spot almost 80% of the time (74 of 93 times). If I just looked at the top three places, a team in one of those positions at the break finished in the top three about 62% of the times (37 of 60).

• Fifty percent of the time the team one place out of a money spot at the break finished the season in the money (10 of 20). These teams only were only 2.25 points out at the ASB on average (a median of 1.5 points).

• Teams that were out of a money position at the break, but finished in the money at the end of the season, were well within striking distance at the ASB. These teams were only an average of 3.5 points out (median of 3) at the break.

• I looked at the ratio of points a team had at the ASB compared to the total possible points. If teams had at least 60% of the total points (for example they had 60 points at break in a 10-team 5x5 league (“perfect scrore” = 100)) they were 87% likely to finish the season in the money (65 of 75 occasions).

• If teams entered the break with a ratio of points to total possible points of 50% or lower they were essentially done; only 5% of these teams finished in the money (4 out of 85).

• Teams that were in the bottom three in the standings at the break tended to stay there more often than not; 65% of the time these teams finished in a bottom three place in the league (39 out of 60 times). Only once in these 20 seasons did a team enter the break in a bottom three position finish in the money (it happened last year – a team entered the break in 9th in an 11 team league and finished in 3rd).
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Good stuff.
    -Guy in first place at break
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Holy cow, really excellent work!
      Thanks.

I occasionally kept ASB stat reports but didn't have an idea what to do with them. It just dawned on me a couple weeks ago to do this project. There was a kind of euphoric "yes" when I stumbled across more this weekend; I found some stat reports from back in the 80's - talk about nostalgia. It's easier now that we have all of this information on-line going back to 2011.

If we only had access to those old TQStats on-line reports ......
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Interesting stuff kawaise, thanks!

Comment

This is great stuff...thanks much!
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Very cool. I was I'm 1st at ASB but now trail by 3.5 points. You've given me new hope
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Nice stuff, Kawaise! I could this for all the years I've been in all my roto leagues, since I always print out and keep the weekly stats. Just the main 4 would be about 60 years of data. But I think I probably wouldnt find much different than what you found.

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X