ESPN Top 100 Players of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Top 100 Players of All-Time

They based the rankings on their experts using an ELO matchup of players using their career stats and peak years. Some active notables:

93 - Felix Hernandez
    92 - Adrian Beltre
    85 - Bryce Harper
    78 - David Ortiz
    65 - Ichiro Suzuki
    40 - Mike Trout
    39 - Miguel Cabrera
    31 - Albert Pujols
    26 - Clayton Kershaw
    21 - A-Rod

Top 20 not released yet.....

I like Harper and all, but he just hasn't played long enough at a high enough level to be a top 100 player of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I like Harper and all, but he just hasn't played long enough at a high enough level to be a top 100 player of all time.
      But Trout is OK 45 spots higher??

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        But Trout is OK 45 spots higher??
        Yep. Look at their stats.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Trout so far is head and shoulder above Harper. In addition Harper only has had 1 great season, the others including this one not so great.Trout could end up as one of the greatest but that is depended on longevity which is the problem with these list. ESPN is extrapolating how players will be at the end of their career. I don't think Harper should be in the top 100 but then I haven't compiled a list nor do I have time to do that.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how Kershaw is only 26.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

where is Koufax? sorry, Sandy but.....
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I don't think they have released the top 20 yet. It is too hard to do a list like this when you are projecting more than half the career of some dudes. Because anything can happen, I have no problem with Kershaw being 26, esp if it turns out only 4-5 pitchers are ahead of him and the top 20 is dominated by every day players. Of course, I also think that such a list done 10 years from could easily have Kershaw as a top 10 guy and a top 2-3 pitcher of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  where is Koufax? sorry, Sandy but.....
                  1) I only posted active players
                  2) at the bottom of my initial post, it says the top 20 hasn't been posted by them yet

Comment

Sandy ahead of already Kershaw?
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Sandy ahead of already Kershaw?
                      Not sure what you're saying, but it's pretty clear Koufax will be in the top 20. They list the top 10 at each position and Koufax was the #1 LHP.

Comment

Koufax turned into a great pitcher but that was only the last 6 seasons. The first 6 were very mediocre. In fact the first 7 seasons he did not have an ERA under 3. While he pitched great last 6 seasons I don't think that qualifies him in the top 20. Again we need to include the whole body of work and longevity. Regardless of where you rank Koufax he was a great pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                          Koufax turned into a great pitcher but that was only the last 6 seasons. The first 6 were very mediocre. In fact the first 7 seasons he did not have an ERA under 3. While he pitched great last 6 seasons I don't think that qualifies him in the top 20. Again we need to include the whole body of work and longevity. Regardless of where you rank Koufax he was a great pitcher.
                          Koufax finished 16th overall.

Comment

LOL @ "Check back soon for the release of No. 1" when they've already told us who they rank 2 thru 10. The suspense is killing me!

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              LOL @ "Check back soon for the release of No. 1" when they've already told us who they rank 2 thru 10. The suspense is killing me!
                              I'd have loved it if someone had hacked their site and posted someone like...oh, say, like Kevin Seitzer.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X