Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which SPs to fill out the back of my rotation the rest of the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which SPs to fill out the back of my rotation the rest of the way?

10 team 5x5 NL only league. I need strikeouts and hope not to bleed WHIP.

I currently have Leake and Garza as my fifth and sixth starters (behind Lester, Wainwright, Pomeranz and Peavy). Leake probably earned more of a run with his great start before the break, but would you guys take any of the following available players for the rest of the year over my current guys?

Finnegan
    Chase Anderson
    Niese
    Perdomo

Thanks, and hi to the old timers I haven't spoken to in a while!

I have no faith in Garza. Leake you should be locked into if those are your alternatives. Garza sucks but so do those 4. Finnegan has shown glimpses and I would slightly recommend him over Garza but I think he will be shut down in mid August.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Okay, here's my take:

You are going to have to ride with Wainwright, Lester, Leake and Peavy. They're not a great top-four, but you're not going to move them for value and they're suitable for your league depth.

You need to move Pomeranz. Like immediately. His value is sky-high right now, but he's on an innings limit, and he's likely approaching it, so he'll be scuttled or shipped to the bullpen pretty soon. Get value for him if you are trying to win this season.

I would never roster Garza or Anderson in that format. Finnegan at least has a modicum of upside. It's unrealized at this point, but at least you're gambling on a guy with some skills. Niese is streamable, but he doesn't get enough Ks for your needs and he's too prone to self-immolation. In some formats, he can have some value, but likely not yours.

Perdomo is an interesting risk. He has huge upside and his season started so abysmally bad that most people just wrote him off, but he has slowly made improvements and is becoming just about rosterable. In fact, if his current trajectory continues, he could be a real producer by the end of the season.

So, I'd be trading Pomeranz for whatever I could get and taking a flier on Perdomo.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Padres made a statement that pomeranz won't be limited.

However, he's rumored to be going to the Rangers so, they might have other ideas and the ballpark vs petco would be a concern.

I have perdomo in two leagues. He's been improved as dane said. Take a flier on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
          I'm pretty sure the Padres made a statement that pomeranz won't be limited.

However, he's rumored to be going to the Rangers so, they might have other ideas and the ballpark vs petco would be a concern.

I have perdomo in two leagues. He's been improved as dane said. Take a flier on him.
          In my NL-only league, I'd have to drop him if he's traded to the AL, so the ballpark wouldn't matter. Between the shutdown risk and the trade risk it sounds like I should probably be dangling him out there, though.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            In my NL-only league, I'd have to drop him if he's traded to the AL, so the ballpark wouldn't matter. Between the shutdown risk and the trade risk it sounds like I should probably be dangling him out there, though.
            I would and I have him rostered in every league I'm in.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Part of the problem there is that your leaguemates will also know there's a chance he gets moved to the AL and has to be cut, diminishing his trade value. You should move ASAP and hope that someone either thinks it won't happen or isn't aware of it.

Of the guys you listed, I don't love any of them but I think I'd go with Chase Anderson. None of those guys are great K guys and Anderson is the best pitcher of the bunch. Just avoid at home if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Finnegan is the only one of the "others" that I would even consider. He's a really good talent but still too inconsistent. I would avoid the rest completely. I would start Finnegan over Garza and hope for the best. I might consider Niese but only as a streaming option, as the Dane said.
                agree. and uggh stay away from Niese unless you want him to hang a nice 3 inning 7 ER appearance against some crappy team like the Braves on you.

Comment

Working...
                X