Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The times they are a changin'

Originally posted by rotoworld
    Jay Bruce told Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports on Monday that his main goal is to play for a contender.

Bruce has surfaced in rumors over the past year and admitted that he's "a bit surprised" to still be with the Reds, but it's clear that he'll be headed elsewhere soon. The veteran slugger has eight-teams on his no-trade list and while he won't come out and say it, he appears willing to waive it for a chance to win. "I want to play in October," said Bruce. "I’m 29. I’m not getting any younger. What I want most is the chance to play in a World Series." The Indians, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Athletics, and Rays are on Bruce's no-trade list. Of course, the Indians are the only team on that list that could be a fit. The Blue Jays nearly dealt for him over the winter and could resurface as a landing spot in the coming weeks. Bruce's contract includes a $13 million club option for 2017.
    The Yankees & Red Sox are on his no-trade list, but the Jays aren't. I never thought I'd live to see the day ...
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    The Yankees & Red Sox are on his no-trade list, but the Jays aren't. I never thought I'd live to see the day ...
    I don't think this represents what you think it represents. Many times when given the option of a no-trade list players will choose likely contenders so that when they are in a situation to be traded they have the leverage. They can waive the no-trade restriction if given terms that are favorable to the player. Also, this is another way of having a "full" no trade list without actually having to negotiate that into the contract. It may be a compromise scenario where the team says, we won't give you a full no-trade but we'll let you have a limited no trade, and the player just lists out all the places he's more likely to be traded (contenders) plus anywhere he definitely does not want to go.

I've heard of this situation coming up several times in the past.

Comment

Working...
    X