Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retooling for 2017. Feedback on this AL Team Appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retooling for 2017. Feedback on this AL Team Appreciated.

My AL 5x5 team hit the skids early this year, thanks to a combination of injuries and ineffectiveness. So after a few months, I made a series of dump deals.

Since I'm now in the cellar, I am mostly planning for next year. We keep only 7 (plus minor leaguers, who can't be traded in-season). I have more than 7 candidates and may be able to swing another deal or two before the deadline. Would really appreciate your feedback on these keepers so I can better evaluate trades.

Which are your top 7? Individual player comments also greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All players year 1 in 2016 unless noted.

Tim Anderson $8
    Mark Trumbo $22
    AJ Reed $15
    Dae Ho Lee $10
    Kendrys Morales $11 (option year in 2017 - Thoughts on keeping a DH? I found it very limiting at auction.)
    Jackie Bradley Jr. $11 (option year in 2017 - Extend? To $16/2 years?)
    Geovany Soto $1
    JD Martinez $20 (contract through 2018, must be kept unless I trade him)
    Alex Colome $9
    Danny Salazar $5 (option year in 2017)
    Blake Snell $8
    Marcus Stroman $7 (option year in 2017)

Another owner indicated willingness to deal Mookie Betts $18 (contract through 2018) for Bradley, Colome, Morales. Is he asking too much? Is the difference between Bradley and Betts worth Colome (good price for a closer) and Morales?

Man, if I were tanking I'd jump on that offer.
    Disclaimer: I'm the guy that traded $6 JBJ for $10 Buxton preseason
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
      Man, if I were tanking I'd jump on that offer.
      Disclaimer: I'm the guy that traded $6 JBJ for $10 Buxton preseason
      Thanks. Thoughts or ranking of my current guys?

Comment

I too would do that deal.

Comment

Thanks all. So consensus is yes on the deal. Not sure it will come through.

Would appreciate feedback / ranking of keepers as they stand today though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post

Tim Anderson $8 - I like his potential; steals are increasingly hard to come by.
            Mark Trumbo $22 - Trade bait? I may be biased .... I saw too much of him last year playing for Seattle. He's having a great year, but not exactly a young man. I'd see if you could dangle him for a nice keeper.
            AJ Reed $15 - Pass. Too expensive.
            Dae Ho Lee $10 - Pass. I like him, but he, too, could be trade bait.
            Kendrys Morales $11 (option year in 2017 - Thoughts on keeping a DH? I found it very limiting at auction.) - I understand your question. However, the guy just keeps producing. I think there's profit in his $11 salary.
            Jackie Bradley Jr. $11 (option year in 2017 - Extend? To $16/2 years?) - Keep (unless you could trade him in your deal for Mookie). Too soon to say whether or not to extend.
            Geovany Soto $1 - If you got him for a buck this year, I think you could get him for a buck next year. Pass.
            JD Martinez $20 (contract through 2018, must be kept unless I trade him) - Well, if you've got to keep him ....
            Alex Colome $9 - I'm not the one to ask about closers .... I typically don't draft one. However, that's a nice price (trade him for Mookie!).
            Danny Salazar $5 (option year in 2017) - IMO your #1 keeper.
            Blake Snell $8 - Too early to tell .... TNSTAAPP. Nice potential. Might be a nice price. You've got to see how this guy performs the rest of the year.
            Marcus Stroman $7 (option year in 2017) - I'd rank him over Snell right now. Potential keeper.

Another owner indicated willingness to deal Mookie Betts $18 (contract through 2018) for Bradley, Colome, Morales. Is he asking too much? Is the difference between Bradley and Betts worth Colome (good price for a closer) and Morales? - YES! You WANT Mookie. You NEED Mookie. GET MOOKIE!

Salazar is a no-doubter.

You've said you have to keep JD.
            ---
            Bradley
            Colome
            Morales
            Anderson
            Stroman/Snell
            "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
            "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
            WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
            PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Did the deal for Betts. I think this makes my likely keepers the first seven below, but have time to evaluate guys like Reed, Stroman, etc. over the rest of 2016. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mookie Betts $18 (contract through 2018)
              Danny Salazar $5 (option year in 2017)
              Tim Anderson $8
              Mark Trumbo $22
              JD Martinez $20 (contract through 2018, must be kept unless I trade him)
              Blake Snell $8
              Marcus Stroman $7 (option year in 2017)
              -------
              AJ Reed $15
              Dae Ho Lee $10
              Geovany Soto $1

Comment

Congrats on getting Mookie!

Snell/Anderson still on the young/unproven side; are you interested in trading Trumbo to get better keepers? Did you know that Trumbo will be a free agent at the end of the year? I've mentioned it before, but I'd dangle Trumbo in trade offers to get at least one lower-priced keeper.
                "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
                  Congrats on getting Mookie!

Snell/Anderson still on the young/unproven side; are you interested in trading Trumbo to get better keepers? Did you know that Trumbo will be a free agent at the end of the year? I've mentioned it before, but I'd dangle Trumbo in trade offers to get at least one lower-priced keeper.
                  Thanks! I did know that about Trumbo. Amazingly haven't had a single request for him. People must doubt he will keep it up. But his issue has really been health in past. I will redouble my efforts to flip him though. Had hoped to get Lindor but missed out. Thoughts on good targets based on your league?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                    Thanks! I did know that about Trumbo. Amazingly haven't had a single request for him. People must doubt he will keep it up. But his issue has really been health in past. I will redouble my efforts to flip him though. Had hoped to get Lindor but missed out. Thoughts on good targets based on your league?
                    Trumbo's never produced like this. He's had problems with contact over his career. His contact rate this year is in line with historical norms. He's never hit for this kind of batting average.

The return you'd expect would depend on contracts and the needs of others in your league. Trumbo has produced just short of $30 in AL-only 5x5 formats this season.

Here's a list of players I'd target if I had him rostered .... Schoop, Profar, Kepler, Jose Ramirez, Ed. Nunez, Devon Travis, Semein, Ketel Marte, (wow-I didn't make this list to be primarily middle infielders) Michael Fulmer, Aaron Sanchez, Andrew Miller, Betances. I don't think you're going to get a Mercedes type player due to his history.

Comment

Working...
                    X