Dump deals..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump deals..

When you make a dump deal in your league do you give any consideration at all as to how it affects the race for the title? Or do you just make the best deal you can to help your team in the future?

Have you ever NOT made a dump deal because you thought it "helped" a team in the title hunt too much?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

For the most part, I only think about my own team. Once I have decided I'm dumping, the standings mean just about nothing to me.

However, I will often seek out owners with whom I already have a rapport for trades. I suppose that does mean that there is a small amount of inherent bias into who I trade with, but it's not really about wanting to see my friends win, as it is I just enjoy trading with them, so they get more of my players.

Comment

Not really since I always plot the top teams against each other so I get the best deal. No one can complain about the deal if they had a chance to better it.

Comment

I generally prefer to spread the wealth, as it works out better overall.
        but this year I was ready to unload the dump truck for 5-unit Seager or Story or 10-unit Bryant - and the top three contenders each happened to have one. I was rejected by two, and Seager went to another dumper who had "cleaner fill."

If you pretty much nail down a pennant for someone and ignore the other contender(s), well, payback is a bitch and you may have just signed yourself up for it. Even just caring about your own team, it's a dumb idea.

2 weeks ago, it looked like 8 teams had a good shot to finish in the money. I dangled bait at six of them - no luck. so I tried the other two, and one of them surprised me and we had a deal. you never know.

I also agree that playing owners off each other can be effective. It's simple Art of the Deal to remind an owner that it's not just that he gets the stud lame duck or not - it's either he gets that guy, or a close rival does.....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Doesn't hurt to use a little gamesmanship and instill some fear in one owner by saying that other contenders are asking about some of your players. Or saying that if you traded a certain package to "owner x" that they would pass you in categories a, b, and c which would drop you to 3rd place, etc.

Comment

I usually have enough prospects and cheap veterans that i don't need to dump.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I usually have enough prospects and cheap veterans that i don't need to dump.
              To me that makes little sense. Why wouldn't you seek to accumulate as many possible keepers as you can? It never hurts to have trading chips during the off season.

So you would keep over priced or lame duck stars instead of dumping them for cheap potential keepers? Poor strategy.
              Last edited by Mithrandir; 07-10-2016, 08:22 AM.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                To me that makes little sense. Why wouldn't you seek to accumulate as many possible keepers as you can? It never hurts to have trading chips during the off season.

So you would keep over priced or lake duck stars instead of dumping them for cheap potential keepers? Poor strategy.
                I always have 3 or 4 more keepers than i need. Why would i need more than that?
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I always have 3 or 4 more keepers than i need. Why would i need more than that?
                  Better quality keepers. But hey, keep doing what you do if it works

Comment

Always make best deals for my team and not worrying how it helps or doesn't help other teams. I always look at the best possible keepers to go after them first then work down.

Comment

Better quality keepers. But hey, keep doing what you do if it works
                      That's why i quit making trades. It wasn't working.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

That's why i quit making trades. It wasn't working.
                        So how is it working this year?

Comment

So how is it working this year?
                          Great, i haven't been fleeced all year.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                            For the most part, I only think about my own team. Once I have decided I'm dumping, the standings mean just about nothing to me.

However, I will often seek out owners with whom I already have a rapport for trades. I suppose that does mean that there is a small amount of inherent bias into who I trade with, but it's not really about wanting to see my friends win, as it is I just enjoy trading with them, so they get more of my players.
                            Am I not your friend Tim, if you prick me, do I not bleed?
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Great, i haven't been fleeced all year.
                              Your keeper list is also pretty weak. Maybe you think it's good, I dont. I think you missed the boat so far as dealing goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X