Melvin 'By Jesus' Upton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melvin 'By Jesus' Upton

Is it time to start taking this guy seriously again?

I mean he's on pace for a 30/40 season. And while I don't see that happening, 25/35 is definitely doable.

Has he regained the form he flashed years ago or is this a mirage?

Is he a buy or sell candidate for the rest of the season?

A keeper candidate for next year?

His history says sell but it hard to move a player who is the pace for 25 HR and over 30 SB. If trading is doable I would see what you could get. I still wouldn't put stock in him as a keeper as he'll be 32 next season. This could be just enjoy his season while he is producing. Likely he'll get traded because it's what the Padres do. Just as a side note his contact is at the highest level since 09 and his BABIP is at .330 and last season .348 which is at levels he hasn't been at since 08.

Comment

He is $7 in our NL only league. He is also on a rebuilding team. Too cheap to trade and to risky to not want to. The problem is what would be enough for him? I am not sure anybody in our league would offer enough to make him pull the trigger. At the same time if I am him I would want to trade.

He is a tough one.

Comment

If you own him, enjoy his resurgence. But there's no way I would trade anything of real substance for his future self.

Comment

A guy who was a total turd for years suddenly comes back to be an All-Star? Color me skeptical...

The power and speed are real, always have been, but the ability to hit for average has never been a BJ thing.

I'd make a deal for him, but I don't think that i'd go to a high level for him...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

This is pretty much what i've been hearing and feeling to be honest, but all the guy does is add to my counting stats daily. I have him cheap in 2 leagues and was just getting an idea on whether or not I should insure him for the ROS, keeper status can wait. That and the value I might get for him should I trade him this season.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If someone is willing to pay for his current production I would trade him.

I think I would try to target a young good starting pitcher for him. In my leagues over the years most prefer the offense side of trades. Hard to get hitting for pitching. I would try to get my best value that way.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                I cannot envision a scenario under which you'd get value for his current production in a trade. I wouldn't trade for him outside of anything but the best bargain and maybe not even then. Frankly, I think you just hold him and hope he doesn't revert to Horrific Upton.
                That is exactly what most will do. And he will revert to Horrific Upton unless he is an outlier.

Comment

I think you are giving him short shrift. He looks more like the old BJ than the one who struggled the last few years. He has been very productive and his peripherals support his production. I expect a 25/35 year for him. That plays in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                    I think you are giving him short shrift. He looks more like the old BJ than the one who struggled the last few years. He has been very productive and his peripherals support his production. I expect a 25/35 year for him. That plays in my book.
                    I think most here are in agreement that whatever he's drinking, it's working. But will it work again next year? And if you believe in his resurgence, what would you give for him in a keeper league?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      I think most here are in agreement that whatever he's drinking, it's working. But will it work again next year? And if you believe in his resurgence, what would you give for him in a keeper league?
                      Depending on his price, most certainly. I got him for $10 in one league. I'll likely hang onto him at that, if I can. Once his price drifts up into the late teens, you'd have to think the risk of relapse is too great.

Comment

Surprisingly I got him for $5 in an 11-team NL-only and while I've been open to trading him for a stud keeper, he's not getting the respect he deserves based on his numbers this year. He's old enough where he's not exactly a long-term keeper but I don't see why he can't go 15-25 next year which seems like a top-150 player to me.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Surprisingly I got him for $5 in an 11-team NL-only and while I've been open to trading him for a stud keeper, he's not getting the respect he deserves based on his numbers this year. He's old enough where he's not exactly a long-term keeper but I don't see why he can't go 15-25 next year which seems like a top-150 player to me.
                          Yeah, he's an odd case where he's infinitely keepable at that price, but not tradeable for value. Just own him and ride him. You're already playing with house money at this point. Don't forget, he also looked great in the second half of later year, so he's really been good for year now. Every day that goes by, it becomes less and less of a fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                            Yeah, he's an odd case where he's infinitely keepable at that price, but not tradeable for value. Just own him and ride him. You're already playing with house money at this point. Don't forget, he also looked great in the second half of later year, so he's really been good for year now. Every day that goes by, it becomes less and less of a fluke.
                            I have him at a buck and was pretty much offered jack shit for him, so I have decided to give him respect myself and keep him.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Well howdy do!

Comment

Working...
                              X