Willson Contreres gets the call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willson Contreres gets the call

Itll be interesting to see how the Cubs divy up the playing time.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I cannot imagine him getting more than two starts a week at the moment (most starts vs. LHP except when Lester is pitching, plus a few random starts vs. RHP). Still, with Montero struggling to hit so far this year, I can see Contreras working that up to 4+ starts a week by late July if he adjusts to hitting in the majors swiftly. Ross will maintain his title of Personal Catcher for Lester. Montero will not be released since he does have another year left in his deal and still has his pitch framing skills, but this move ensures that he will likely be shopped around over the next 1.5 months. I'm not sure if any teams will take much of Montero's salary though, which probably would nix a deal.

Of course, we have Maddon in the equation here, so would Contreras get a few starts in LF or 3B? Seems unlikely, but it cannot be ruled out.

Comment

I looked up Montero's contract which 14 mil this season and next. Would the Cubs eat the contract if Contreras does well? From what I read is that he has made vast improvement as a catcher which I would think is just as important as his hitting since he would need to be able to handle the Cub's starters. So how much FAAB do you spend?

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        I looked up Montero's contract which 14 mil this season and next. Would the Cubs eat the contract if Contreras does well? From what I read is that he has made vast improvement as a catcher which I would think is just as important as his hitting since he would need to be able to handle the Cub's starters. So how much FAAB do you spend?
        I wouldn't think so...Ross has indicated that this is his last season, so there's the introduction to the majors for Contreras and the opportunity to caddy under the savvy veteran. I think that's really all there is too it...soak up as much knowledge as you can meat, this guy is smart.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

The promotion is designed to get him acclimated to the majors in the same manner the team did last June with Kyle Schwarber before sending him back to Triple-A Iowa briefly, according to a source.

Comment

I'm feeling a bit nervous about Contreras' playing time... but I'm hoping he can force the issue, just like Schwarber did.

2-Run HR in his first AB, first pitch he saw from AJ Schugel. So far, so good. We'll see his first start behind the dish today.

I think he could be elite, as it always takes the roto community time to adjust to breakout players who show big projection jumps. People talk about his swing path being too linear for big HR numbers, but even if he only peaks as a 15-20 HR guy, he still looks like a middle order hitter, probably 2/3 spot. With his rare athleticism for a catcher, he could even nab 5-7 SB per year to more than make up for a lack in HR.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

He went for $12 in my 10 team NL league last night.

Comment

I cant wait to see this guy get some PT.

Of course that may be because my 2 catchers in my NL only have been David ross and Betancort
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I wouldn't think so...Ross has indicated that this is his last season, so there's the introduction to the majors for Contreras and the opportunity to caddy under the savvy veteran. I think that's really all there is too it...soak up as much knowledge as you can meat, this guy is smart.
                  Ross and Montero both know they are at the end of their careers. Contreras is at the beginning. Both welcomed him up and are committed to helping him help the Cubs.

I truly hope that Montero is not traded. It would be great if he finishes his contract with the Cubs next year as the back up for Conreras.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Ross and Montero both know they are at the end of their careers. Contreras is at the beginning. Both welcomed him up and are committed to helping him help the Cubs.

I truly hope that Montero is not traded. It would be great if he finishes his contract with the Cubs next year as the back up for Conreras.
                    Miggy is only 32.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Miggy is only 32.
                      Hmm... The Score reporter that was in the Cubs clubhouse stated that the end of career and beginning of Contrera era was a Montero quote.

Comment

Montero leaves today's game with a right knee injury. Contreras comes in and hits a 2 run HR. Hmmmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by Davros View Post
                          Montero leaves today's game with a right knee injury. Contreras comes in and hits a 2 run HR. Hmmmmm.....
                          Wally Pipp'd?
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

False alarm.

Gordon Wittenmyer @GDubCub

Maddon says Montero fine. Exam showed no problem with knee. Should stay on playing schedule.

Comment

Working...
                            X