No announcement yet.

Jose Reyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a player is released, his contract does not carry over. If his salary was guaranteed by his contract with his former team, then they will have to continue to pay that salary. They would buy out any future club options. But his contract does not carry over to the new team.

A new team can sign him to whatever contract terms they want. However, his salary from the new team will offset the payments from his former team, up to the point where his new contract exceeds his former contract. So there is basically never any incentive for the player or the new team to offer him any more than the minimum salary in the case of a player who had a large contract with the former team.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

And the Mets sign him to a minor league contract.

Comment

Thanks Horns and KS for the explanation. So the Rockies pay him for the 22 mil this season minus the games suspended and minimum contract. Next season 22 mil and in the buy-out season another 22 mil. It seems like there should be a contract clause that if release early the buy-out season should only be 4 mil since essentially he is being paid either way.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          Thanks Horns and KS for the explanation. So the Rockies pay him for the 22 mil this season minus the games suspended and minimum contract. Next season 22 mil and in the buy-out season another 22 mil. It seems like there should be a contract clause that if release early the buy-out season should only be 4 mil since essentially he is being paid either way.
          He's only getting $4m for the buyout, not his $18m salary in '18.

Comment

Reyes's contract with the Mets includes a club option for 2017 at the MLB minimum, so the chances are great he's a Met next year as well.

Comment

He's BACK

interesting to see if they demote Reynolds or Nimmo, who intrigue, or dispatch the rotting corpse of overpaid De Aza

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/07/04/jos...sion-activated
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

He played 100% SS, which means he loses the 3B designation in most leagues.

Does anyone know the plans for 2017?

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  He played 100% SS, which means he loses the 3B designation in most leagues.

Does anyone know the plans for 2017?

J
                  No, he didn't. He played 50 games at 3B with the Mets and 13 at SS.

As for 2017, probably depends on Wright's health. If Wright can't come back, Reyes will play 3B. If Wright is moderately healthy or at least healthy to start the year, I would think they would shift Reyes to 2B. I was imagining that they would have Reyes, Wilmer Flores and Wright at 2B and 3B, under the assumption that Wright will never be able to play a full year or be fully effective ever again.

Comment

My bad. They separated by position, not by year. So, mostly 3B/SS which is better.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X