Super-two date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-two date

Anybody know what the expected date is this year? We should be close, starting to see guys come up....
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

There's not an official date as such, more of an estimate. Probably the latter part of June, if past history is to be believed.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I had heard that this year it was expected to be very early, like the end of May. Googling this didnt give a definitive answer either but the Fangraphs article on this says if you wait 65 days you shouldnt have to worry about a player reaching arbitration a year early. I dont know whether the official start of the 2016 service time was 4/3 or 4/4 but using the latter date the cutoff date would be 6/8 so player brought up after then should be OK. Still not definitive but we should be reaching the cutoff date in the next few days if we havent already.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        I had heard that this year it was expected to be very early, like the end of May. Googling this didnt give a definitive answer either but the Fangraphs article on this says if you wait 65 days you shouldnt have to worry about a player reaching arbitration a year early. .
        I'd heard the same thing about early Super Two this year before the start of the season. From my one source into MLB, this was bad info, and it'll be 65-70 days at least.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It's the top 17-20% of players based on service time which is why it's always a floating date.

Comment

Usually by now there is a 'predicted safe date', I just haven't seen one yet.....

Comment

Here's a good explanation from a local blog called Point of Pittsburgh:
              http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...adline-hijinx/

"Super Two guidelines are somewhat murky, but the quick and dirty explanation is that when players of the same service class are preparing to enter their 3rd seasons, the ones with the highest 22% of service time are granted the fourth year of arbitration. Typically, the rule of thumb is 2 full years of time and 130 days of another season. The agency CAA has been exceptionally accurate in calculating what the upcoming offseason’s Super Two cutoff will be. Here’s the days of service for the past seven years, written in the common decimal format of years.days:

2015: 2.140
              2014: 2.133
              2013: 2.122
              2012: 2.140
              2011: 2.146
              2010: 2.122
              2009: 2.139

As you can see, it has been as low as just 122 days of time twice in the past seven years. With the season starting on April 3rd this year, June 1 would represent 58 days into the season or 125 days remaining. "

Today is June 8, so it's down to 118 days which is less service time than each of the last seven years Super Two cutoff.

We won't know who did or didn't make the cutoff for the rookie class of 2016 until all of their service times are calculated at the end of the 2018 season and the top 22% are determined. That's why it's pretty much a guessing game right now.
              Last edited by madducks; 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

If the cheap ass Pirates are calling up Taillon, you know the Super Two cutoff date has most likely passed.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  If the cheap ass Pirates are calling up Taillon, you know the Super Two cutoff date has most likely passed.
                  Very good point !
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    ..or he'll be sent back down....

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                      Was thinking it. Will be interesting to see. We'll know before our weekly bids are due though!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                        that...
                        Pirates optioned RHP Jameson Taillon to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Comment

Working...
                        X