Trea Turner Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trea Turner Time...

Looks like he's getting the call to replace Zimmerman, who's going on the paternity list. Does Dusty move Murphy to 1st and Espinoza to 2nd to get Turner in the line-up? Sure would make things better defensively in the MI...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Won't it be for just 3 days? Just buy the kid a soda and let him sit on the bench in the good seats.

Comment

It gives our fantasy league a window to trade him.

We have a rule to slow down inflation that states we cannot trade rookie status players until after the All Star Break.

Comment

I would start him but I ain't the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          I would start him but I ain't the manager.
          We all know what Dusty Baker is like. He loves light hitting veterans. Turner has nothing else to prove in the minors. I know people will say, but Espinoza plays great defense!! I'm sorry, but I would hope Turner's defense isn't that bad and his hitting and speed outweighs anything Espinoza provides with defense.

Comment

I'm always a little skeptical about speed first prospect. Obviously Turner has a better hit tool than some.

I question the upside though, especially in 2016. How much better than Elvis Andrus should we expect? (Granted, Andrus has been better this year, but coming into the year he was widely panned)

I fear the prospect hype machine may be overrating Turner a bit. Definitely a good piece to have, but not a guy to rescue your fantasy season or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I'm always a little skeptical about speed first prospect. Obviously Turner has a better hit tool than some.

I question the upside though, especially in 2016. How much better than Elvis Andrus should we expect? (Granted, Andrus has been better this year, but coming into the year he was widely panned)

I fear the prospect hype machine may be overrating Turner a bit. Definitely a good piece to have, but not a guy to rescue your fantasy season or anything.
              I definitely agree with you that he isn't someone that is going to rescue your fantasy season, very few are, but his upside is better than Elvis Andrus. Also, being a middle infielder helps that upside as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                I definitely agree with you that he isn't someone that is going to rescue your fantasy season, very few are, but his upside is better than Elvis Andrus. Also, being a middle infielder helps that upside as well.
                Glad someone willing to discuss this, who probably knows a lot more about the kid!

Where am I missing the fantasy upside on Turner? He's not going to be hitting homers - he's never hit more than 8 in a year (Andrus hit 7 last year for TEX).

He's hit for average in the minors, but he's not super low K or high BB guy (that translates BAVG to the mlb well) - 20%Ks 9% BBs (Andrus at 12%Ks, 7%BB last year for TEX).

He's got some speed, but it's hard to judge speed in the minors translating to the mlb (see Joc Pederson). But for reference, Turner had 69 SB in 1043 PA or 6.6%. In 2013 Andrus had 42 SB in 698 PA (6%). Yes I'm cheating and cherry picking there but I just don't trust SB to translate.

So where am I missing the upside?

Comment

Trea Turner indicated to reporters on Friday that he only expects to be up with the major league club while Ryan Zimmerman is on paternity leave.
                  Turner presumably got the impression after speaking to the coaching staff, so we'll take his word for it that his stay in the majors will be brief. Fantasy owners have been clamoring for Turner to take over for Danny Espinosa at shortstop, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
                  Source: Byron Kerr on TwitterJun 3 - 4:37 PM

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Trea Turner indicated to reporters on Friday that he only expects to be up with the major league club while Ryan Zimmerman is on paternity leave.
                    Turner presumably got the impression after speaking to the coaching staff, so we'll take his word for it that his stay in the majors will be brief. Fantasy owners have been clamoring for Turner to take over for Danny Espinosa at shortstop, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
                    Source: Byron Kerr on TwitterJun 3 - 4:37 PM
                    Makes sense that he'd be up temporarily and then go back down until super two status is gone.

Comment

Glad someone willing to discuss this, who probably knows a lot more about the kid!

Where am I missing the fantasy upside on Turner? He's not going to be hitting homers - he's never hit more than 8 in a year (Andrus hit 7 last year for TEX).

He's hit for average in the minors, but he's not super low K or high BB guy (that translates BAVG to the mlb well) - 20%Ks 9% BBs (Andrus at 12%Ks, 7%BB last year for TEX).

He's got some speed, but it's hard to judge speed in the minors translating to the mlb (see Joc Pederson). But for reference, Turner had 69 SB in 1043 PA or 6.6%. In 2013 Andrus had 42 SB in 698 PA (6%). Yes I'm cheating and cherry picking there but I just don't trust SB to translate.

In full seasons, Turner has never had an OBP below .370. His SLG has been in the mid to upper .400s. His SB success rate is great every year. If he were to stay up and play, even hitting low in the order, I think he can help teams in BA/OBP, runs, and SB.

His upside is limited, though it's due to management and not ability.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Went 3 for 3 with a walk last night. Nice way to start his career. Nats are in 1st 2 games over the Mets but with Espinoza hitting .197 and Revere who has been struggling at lead-off wouldn't you want to try Turner at the top of the order. If he struggles then send him back down but if he doesn't then he could be a spark for the line-up.

Comment

He's going to be sent down after the weekend. He should have replaced Espinoza and everyone knows it......dumb....dumb....dumb..

As for upside, he will score a lot of runs, steal a lot of bases, and hit for average. Also, he has some pop and is very capable of hitting 10-12 hrs with a full season of MLB at bats. As for Espinoza, Mark Belanger part deux.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                            He's going to be sent down after the weekend. He should have replaced Espinoza and everyone knows it......dumb....dumb....dumb..

As for upside, he will score a lot of runs, steal a lot of bases, and hit for average. Also, he has some pop and is very capable of hitting 10-12 hrs with a full season of MLB at bats. As for Espinoza, Mark Belanger part deux.
                            Espy is nowhere close to as bad than Belanger. Belanger had 20 career HR in 6600+ PAs. Espy has 75 HR in 1/3 of the PAs not to mentin 100 points higher OPS
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

And Turner is not in Saturday's lineup because...?
                              I assume they don't want him to do too good so that they have to keep him up.
                              That management is stubborn (or is incompetent a better word).

They misplayed using him at the end of last year also.

Comment

Working...
                              X