2K17: Jonathan Villar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K17: Jonathan Villar

I bought Villar for $10 and $13 as my SB hope... but these numbers have been insane.

Currently hitting .307/.409/.426 with 18 SB and 6 CS, putting him on pace for 58 SB.

He was rushed to the majors and struggled his first few seasons, but this breakout is of a higher caliber than I expected. He's also untradeable mid-season, given that the SB's you lose would be nearly impossible to replace.

Anybody watching the games, or have local insight? I haven't heard much, just watched the stats all year.

When he gets replaced at SS, where does he move to? OF? 3B? Super util? I guess the Brewers thought he was a stop-gap too, and are probably re-evaluating what to do now that he appears to be breaking out.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

I picked him up in a yahoo league and yeah, he's been awesome. I've watched parts of a few of the Brewers broadcasts - they definitely won't rush Arcia now, but when they do it sounds like Villar can move to 3rd. It's not just numbers, he plays solid defense & has good baseball instincts ... he's a player they seem to want on the field.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Picked him him about a month ago....Dropped him after a week or so and kept Semien as I felt I Villar would go back to being Villar.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Rotolab had BBHQ's pre-season projections for him with 35 SBs -- I thought they were nuts and ratcheted it down a bunch. What do I know?

Comment

Per where he'll move - I'd guess OF. Trade talk around Braun is heating up a lot. Could go to 3B too, especially if they can get anyone of value for Aaron Hill.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            He's the most obvious regression candidate in all of baseball by a fairly long shot. Steamer has him hitting .245 with 5 HR and 18 SB going forward. I think that's optimistic.
            He's hit 2 HR since this post. He might only hit 3 more ROS, but .........
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Hammer just traded him in our 16tm redraft for Adrian Gonzalez.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Hammer just traded him in our 16tm redraft for Adrian Gonzalez.
                I'd rather have Villar as Gonzo has been solid with average, but otherwise pretty weak.

Comment

He has to be near the top in terms of roster percentage on 1st place teams.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    He's hit 2 HR since this post. He might only hit 3 more ROS, but .........
                    And another HR today.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      And another HR today.
                      Maybe Steamers should call themselves, "Steaming pile of crap".

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Maybe Steamers should call themselves, "Steaming pile of crap".
                        I don't think Steamers are the only ones who missed the boat on Villar. I was pretty optimistic he'd get a full year of stats, but that's premised on Villar being better than Scooter Gennett or Aaron Hill, which isn't much of a hill to climb. So if you bought Villar on revo's concept of increased playing time, you got a big bonus.

What's going to be interesting to watch is if he can keep this up for a full year...and then repeat it. It's also indicative of how deep the Astros talent pool, at least in hitters, is right now. If Stearns would just hire and promote the Astros head of R&D, we'd have the best brains of that organization in Milwaukee.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          I don't think Steamers are the only ones who missed the boat on Villar. I was pretty optimistic he'd get a full year of stats, but that's premised on Villar being better than Scooter Gennett or Aaron Hill, which isn't much of a hill to climb. So if you bought Villar on revo's concept of increased playing time, you got a big bonus.

What's going to be interesting to watch is if he can keep this up for a full year...and then repeat it. It's also indicative of how deep the Astros talent pool, at least in hitters, is right now. If Stearns would just hire and promote the Astros head of R&D, we'd have the best brains of that organization in Milwaukee.
                          Or Sterns could just hire the St. Louis guys who hacked into Houston's computers!

Comment

Baseball HQ was incredibly high on Villar and I ended up with him on a lot of teams.

I am already feeling the remorse of trading him for Gonzo in Eds league but its par for the course for me in that league.
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

So what can we expect from 2016's biggest breakout player? Is he a member of the ruling elite? Or a fly by night player who will screw over those who use a high draft pick on him?

Is his power (19 HRs) sustainable? Milwaukee is a team that loves to run so I can see the SBs staying.

Comment

Working...
                              X