Jose Fernandez...Real World Trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Fernandez...Real World Trade?

Some of the guys on XM radio seem to be convinced that Jose Fernandez will be dealt. Either at the deadline, or in the off-season...the reason being that Miami simply can't afford to keep him, and SHOULD deal him to get a max return fairly soon. Now, I might disagree with their reasoning about Miami being able to keep him, but for the sake of argument lets assume that it's true and he's going to be dealt.

Now the question is, who has the assets to get him, and what might they give up? He's arguably either the #2 or #3 pitcher in baseball right now.

I'll guess the Dodgers for starters...a package of Urias, Puig, and 1-2 other prospects might get it done...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

While I love Fernandez, I dont think I would give up Urias, Puig and prospects plus have to pay Fernandez a lot of scratch when I can tap the free agent market and just use some of my unlimited resources to get the next big thing on the market.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

The FA market is pretty barren for pitchers. It might be a smart time to shop him if the Marlins were being smart and not just penny pinching.

I definitely have some concerns about his durability. But those are the chances you have to take.

Not that they have the prospects, but this is the kind of player the Yankees need to go after. Just like they should have been in on Hamels. You can't get these guys from free agency like you used to. Their teams lock them up. Even teams like the Phillies or Astros should be in on him just to get him now so they'll have him when they're ready.

I wouldn't deal Urias plus a whole bunch of other stuff for him. And of course the Marlins don't need Puig.

Comment

The Tigers could use him but that likely is more of a wish list than reality. Of course we did get Miggy from them.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          The FA market is pretty barren for pitchers. It might be a smart time to shop him if the Marlins were being smart and not just penny pinching.

I definitely have some concerns about his durability. But those are the chances you have to take.

Not that they have the prospects, but this is the kind of player the Yankees need to go after. Just like they should have been in on Hamels. You can't get these guys from free agency like you used to. Their teams lock them up. Even teams like the Phillies or Astros should be in on him just to get him now so they'll have him when they're ready.

I wouldn't deal Urias plus a whole bunch of other stuff for him. And of course the Marlins don't need Puig.
          I dont disagree with your assessment but a guy like Urias just wont get dealt. While its far down the line, if he is anything close to Fernandez, which the Dodgers think he will be, the control the Dodgers have over him is just too valuable to pass up.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Even teams like the Phillies or Astros should be in on him just to get him now so they'll have him when they're ready.
            I was thinking along the same lines - with Strasburg off the free-agent list for next winter there are no aces or even #2's available ... a rebuilding team could certainly build around a Fernandez. The competition to put together a big package would be fierce tho. I could see the Red Sox getting involved, & they have the parts to pull something off - Fernandez-Price would be pretty awesome in a best-of-7.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              I dont disagree with your assessment but a guy like Urias just wont get dealt. While its far down the line, if he is anything close to Fernandez, which the Dodgers think he will be, the control the Dodgers have over him is just too valuable to pass up.
              But Urias isn't going to be a full on ace for a while, if ever, TINSTAAPP and all that. Going to war with a 1-2 of Kershaw and Fernandez is a pretty attractive thought.

And I think that a Cuban like Puig would fit in very well down in Miami...they're not overwhelming thrilled with Ozuna down there. And Puig is signed for another 2+ years, although I thunk he might have an opt-out after this season. He might want to think about that and start hitting.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

It would seem that the Cubs have stock pilled up on enough trade assets to make a pretty good package.

Comment

They gave Stanton his money and EVERYONE was saying they should trade him too before they would get nothing for him. They will give Fernandez his money too. He deserves it and he is a hometown guy. The franchise basically said they wouldnt make the same mistake with Cabrera when they inked Stanton. I would be so disappointed in the franchise if they didnt do the same here.

Comment

Working...
                  X