Is Arrieta the new king of SP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Arrieta the new king of SP?

Has he surpassed Kershaw as the new #1 SP?

He's given up 3 ER all season. Kershaw gave up 5 in ONE inning.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Has he surpassed Kershaw as the new #1 SP?

He's given up 3 ER all season. Kershaw gave up 5 in ONE inning.
    If we are talking about the #1 SP we shouldn't be seriously discussing ER, especially in the context of a ~30IP sample. The .176 BABIP is not sustainable. That said, Arrieta is right up there - he should probably be top 5 without question.

Noah Syndergaard however, now that is an interesting topic. He looks like Kershaw 2.0 this year.

Comment

Nope. Kershaw still has the K advantage, and the much longer track record. The way Sale and Thor are pitching you could make a case for him over Arrieta too, but I assume Thor's innings will be watched at least a little, and I like Arrieta's Cubs better, so he is #2 for me.

Comment

As a Cubs fan I hope so. As a fantasy player not yet. The season is early and he hasn't exactly faced great teams yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Nope. Kershaw still has the K advantage, and the much longer track record. The way Sale and Thor are pitching you could make a case for him over Arrieta too, but I assume Thor's innings will be watched at least a little, and I like Arrieta's Cubs better, so he is #2 for me.
          I know Kershaw has the much better track record, but I'm only concerned with going forward. And yes Syndegaard is awesome!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            As a Cubs fan I hope so. As a fantasy player not yet. The season is early and he hasn't exactly faced great teams yet.
            How many "great" teams are there in the NL?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I know Kershaw has the much better track record, but I'm only concerned with going forward. And yes Syndegaard is awesome!
              Chiming in here, perhaps out of place, but unless there's a clear change the best way to predict the information going forward is to look at the track record. I don't see any major change within the Arrieta/Kershaw hierarchy based on this year's data. Arrieta had a 2.26 FIP in 2014 and 2.35 in 2015. It is sitting at 2.85 this year. Kershaw had a 1.81 in 2014 and 1.99 in 2015, and he's at 2.33 this year. Kershaw still seems to be king.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Chiming in here, perhaps out of place,
                Umm... we raise our hands and wait to be called on here before we speak.

(umm... seriously though, I've got about 25k posts between here and the old site, and you've already surpassed my number of quality baseball related posts... welcome!)
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Chiming in here, perhaps out of place, but unless there's a clear change the best way to predict the information going forward is to look at the track record. I don't see any major change within the Arrieta/Kershaw hierarchy based on this year's data. Arrieta had a 2.26 FIP in 2014 and 2.35 in 2015. It is sitting at 2.85 this year. Kershaw had a 1.81 in 2014 and 1.99 in 2015, and he's at 2.33 this year. Kershaw still seems to be king.
                  I own both, so I hope you're right!! And thanks for the info...

Comment

Yeah I think Kershaw is still King of the Mountain, but Arrieta could be #2. I think its a three headed monster right now with Sale, Syndy, and Arrieta. Im a little worried about Syndergaard's workload, but so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post

(umm... seriously though, I've got about 25k posts between here and the old site, and you've already surpassed my number of quality baseball related posts... welcome!)

Hahah, made me laugh at work. Thanks for the kind words. I spent a lot of time researching pitchers this offseason and enjoy sharing. I've played this game for a long time and posted on non fantasy boards for ~15 years, but haven't written much on the fantasy topic. It is very fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesfredette View Post
                        Yeah I think Kershaw is still King of the Mountain, but Arrieta could be #2. I think its a three headed monster right now with Sale, Syndy, and Arrieta. Im a little worried about Syndergaard's workload, but so far so good.
                        Along the same lines, I'm worried about Thor's slider velocity. That's an arm killer. Look at Harvey's slider right before he got injured. Same type pitch got him.

Comment

Along the same lines, I'm worried about Thor's slider velocity. That's an arm killer.
                          Has there been a noticeable downtick? Like more than the typical for the early season "deadarm" phase that a lot of pitchers experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesfredette View Post
                            Has there been a noticeable downtick? Like more than the typical for the early season "deadarm" phase that a lot of pitchers experience.
                            Opposite - he's throwing it at 93. Arms are not supposed to bend that way at that speed. It's a physics problem. The energy has to go somewhere and from what I have seen a slider thrown that fast kills an arm. But maybe Thor is the exception (I hope so!)

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post

c'mon now, I think that's selling yourself short. You're probably closer to 30k.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X