Chapman trade offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman trade offer

I was offered a trade for Aroldis Chapman yesterday that interested me....

AL-only, 5x5 (1.5 Saves+Holds replaces Saves category), 11 team keeper league. Salaries are not increased for players if kept the next season. I don't have a closer, but have Cecil, Soria, and Shaw as set-up (holds).

The guy offered Chapman (A, $21), Carlos Santana (A, $7), and a first round pick in next year's farm draft for Jordan Zimmerman (A, $16) and Eric Hosmer (A, $26).

I'm playing to win this year. I think both players coming my direction have salaries slightly undervalue, and I think I paid slightly over value for Zimmerman and Hosmer - but that's getting nit-picky given the context of this season. Chapman is only signed through this year with the Yankees (what a bullpen!).

I think I can take on Santana's low BA. Santana has slightly better power than Hosmer, though four years older. Trading for Chapman should help my ERA and ratio, not to mention give me a bump in the Svs+Hlds category - I'll lose ground in wins and some in Ks. If Shaw keeps pitching the way he is my plan will be to cut him if/when Minnesota promotes Berrios. You've got to like that a first round pick is thrown in the deal; that will definitely help next year, but I could also use it as a trading piece, if needed, later this year.

What are your thoughts?
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Gotta love the .171/.286/.371 line from Santana so far. ROS projection is .240-20. Hosmer looks like Hosmer... I don't *think* the 30 HR breakout is coming this year, if it ever well. ROS is .289-15-8sb. You think you can take the hit in AVG. Maybe Carlos even swipes a few bags like last year.

I am not a big fan of Zimm and I think I'd even consider this deal in a regular saves league if the 1st rounder wasn't thrown in. So I think this is a yes. Shaw is not looking good this year, can you get a placeholder or pick up a safe MR (even without holds) for the next couple weeks?

Comment

Without the pick, I like the JZimm-Hosmer side a little better in terms of value. But that first round pick...in my league, those are very valuable. That combined with having Berrios being able to slide into the JZimm position soon would convince me to do the deal.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Without the pick, I like the JZimm-Hosmer side a little better in terms of value. But that first round pick...in my league, those are very valuable. That combined with having Berrios being able to slide into the JZimm position soon would convince me to do the deal.
        Yup, those first round picks are VALUABLE in our league, too. i'm leaning towards doing the deal, taking the gamble that Berrios gets called up around June.
        "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
        WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
        PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Green light.
          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I'm not sure how that 1.5 Saves + holds things affects a closer's value. Does it have the end result of making closers even more valuable than before?
            Hard to say .... we made the move from Saves to 1.5 Saves + Holds last year. I noticed that the prices of closers were suppressed (it wasn't unusual for owners to spend up to $35 for a stud closer - I let them throw the money around and chased set-up men in hopes that they would turn in to closers).

The price on the top-line closers was reduced these past two years. This year the highest salaries for closers in our auction were: Kimbrel $23, Chapman $21, C. Allen $20, Robertson $20, Street $20; top set-up men: Giles $13 (at the time bought as a closer) Bentances $12, Storen $11, and N Jones $10. I shopped the bargains and picked up Shaw ($1; early in the year, but not looking like a bargain right now), Cecil ($1), and Soria ($2) and ignored closers.

Comment

I would do it. It's not a lock but it works for you. Can you counter without the pick?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                I would do it. It's not a lock but it works for you. Can you counter without the pick?
                I'd be GETTING the pick.

Now that he knows I'm interested he's been trying different combinations of players. Tonight he inquired about getting Iwakuma from me instead of Zimmerman - I told him it didn't matter.

Comment

Deal is done. He ended up going back to Zimmerman.

Comment

Boy, how things have changed in just a couple weeks .....

Carlos Carrasco out with an injury; due back the end of May or early June;
                    Garrett Richards done for the season with TJS on the horizon.

My current pitching staff is: H. Iwakuma (A, $14), D. Salazar (B, $10), J. Berrios (A, $5), E. Ramirez (B, $6), G. Richards (done) and a bunch of relievers - B. Cecil (A, $1), B. Shaw (A, $1), S. Dyson (A, $10), M. Givens (A, $10).

I'm in first place in the league by 10 points. Long term I could possibly gain five points once I activate Chapman .... the SVs+Hlds category is tightly clumped right above me. The plan is to activate Chapman and release Richards, and waive Givens once Carrasco is activated.

Once the news hit that Richards was out I was immediately offered two trades for Chapman - I could get S. Gray (expiring contract) and a first round farm pick next season for Chapman and my second round farm pick next season. The other trade was giving me S. Manaea (A, $10) and A. Cobb (A, $1) and a first round farm pick for Chapman and my second round farm pick.

I've put feelers out to see what I could get for Chapman after those two offers but haven't got a nibble.

Stay put?

Make another trade?

Comment

Just got a bite ...

My choice of Price (expiring contract), McCullers (B, $10), or R. Hill (A, $1) and a first round pick for Chapman.

Comment

I'd stay put.
                        Maybe dump a MR for a starter from the wire at some point.
                        Sounds like Carrasco's progress has been good to date, him coming back will be a nice boost.
                        One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Working...
                        X