Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shields

So I have someone interested in Shields. Now our league switched over to Dynasty format this season (or is in the process) going from 10 keepers this season to 15 next year. I have Shields #14, whom is not a keeper IMO, ever. His performance to date suggest he might repeat last years numbers or make only a slight improvement. I just dealt Velazquez in the McCutcheon deal, but my rotation is solid making Shields possibly expendable.

Here it is after the potential deal:

Thor
    Lester
    Tanaka
    Smyly
    Ross

Rosenthal
    Vizciano
    Rodney

T Watson
    Ad Reed
    Rea.

I can get at least one or possible two of the following for Shields ( maybe an additional throw in)

Kang $10
    Gallo $15
    Glasnow $2
    Darvish $4
    B Snell $15

I'd definitely start with Glasnow as I see hi the best value.

Would Shields for Glasnow be enough or do I need to ask for more? If so what would the next guy be?

In any case I can supplant Shields with Watson and be fine, but I'm taking a chance I won't have injuries since my depth is now a question.

Also Shield isn;t going to put up better numbers than he can in Petco so even a the trade chatter, should it pick up around the deadline, would also, IMO, hurt his value.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Given your starting staff, I would make a trade. I would not trade Shields for Glasnow straight up. As you mentioned he provides value if you are competing this year and get an injury.

I would trade him for Glasnow and any one of the others and be pretty happy about it. The way that I would rate them would be according to the rest of my team and team needs and/or the ability to trade one of them off later if needed. I do not know how trade friendly your league is or what your potential needs are. Still I would be pleased to get Glasnow and one of those on the list.

Comment

Either Glasnow or Darvish would be a steal for Shields, IMO. I'd even be happy with Kang at $10 for Shields.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'd be all over Shields for Glasnow in a dynasty. No harm in asking for more, but I wouldn't walk away in the 1 for 1 if he won't give more. I'm always nervous about TJ returners. Sure, most times these days, it works out, but not always. That said, Darvish's upside is too muich to pass up. If Glasnow was off the table, I'd do that deal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Either Glasnow or Darvish would be a steal for Shields, IMO. I'd even be happy with Kang at $10 for Shields.
          Holy crap, yeah it would.

Comment

Wow....what league do you play in where someone gives Glasnow + for Shields? Can I get in please?

Comment

Wow, I realize it is dynasty, but we are still talking about a stud pitcher for an unproven talent.

216 k's in 202 innings isn't regression.

I get the idea that Gwynn is going for it this year. So let's not let our infactuation for rookies get in the way of winning.

I am not sure if he is serious about winning that Darvish and Kang wouldn't be the best deal. Again not knowing his leagues trading habits, I try for Glasnow and anyone on that list, but I would rather have any two on that list than Glasnow by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Wow, I realize it is dynasty, but we are still talking about a stud pitcher for an unproven talent.

216 k's in 202 innings isn't regression.

I get the idea that Gwynn is going for it this year. So let's not let our infactuation for rookies get in the way of winning.

I am not sure if he is serious about winning that Darvish and Kang wouldn't be the best deal. Again not knowing his leagues trading habits, I try for Glasnow and anyone on that list, but I would rather have any two on that list than Glasnow by himself.

No, but the 3.91 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, jump from a career 2.3 BB/9 to 3.6 BB/9 and the major-league leading 33 HRAs certainly are. Plus, his K% has plummeted through his first three starts, from last year's career high (and some may say outlier) 9.6 K/9 to this year's 6.3 K/9.

Plus, Glasnow is dominating at AAA, so it's only a matter of time before he's up.

Comment

The Ks are nice. But that's also a potential for a 1.3 WHIP and a trade to a much less favorable pitchers park. With the HR/IP rate he carried last year and appears to this year so far is happening in PETCO, just imagine how bad it could be with either Sox team.

But even if I'm playing for this year and it's a Dynasty league, at that price I go get Glasnow if I can. Worst case is I flip him later, and I fully expect GITH could do a whole lot better than Shields from a dumping team.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really want to get Glasnow and didn't want to over play my hand. I also forgot that I just picked up Wisler so I have a bit more to fall back on

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      No, but the 3.91 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, jump from a career 2.3 BB/9 to 3.6 BB/9 and the major-league leading 33 HRAs certainly are. Plus, his K% has plummeted through his first three starts, from last year's career high (and some may say outlier) 9.6 K/9 to this year's 6.3 K/9.

Plus, Glasnow is dominating at AAA, so it's only a matter of time before he's up.
                      It is early. Signed Corey Kluber.

Don't get me wrong, I like Glasnow. Just not putting a fork in Shields yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                        Thanks guys, I really want to get Glasnow and didn't want to over play my hand. I also forgot that I just picked up Wisler so I have a bit more to fall back on
                        Wait, GITH and Hodor are the same person?

Comment

Yes, I can't access my regular account from work

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            It is early. Signed Corey Kluber.

Don't get me wrong, I like Glasnow. Just not putting a fork in Shields yet.
                            I think those saying to get Glasnow are not putting a fork in Shields as much recognizing how valuable a $2 Glasnow is. I own both, and I'm confident in both, but if I had to drop one right now, I'd drop Shields.

Comment

What he said. Except I don't own Shields in any leagues. While I do not think he's fork ready, I do think the rotisserie is turning.

Comment

Working...
                              X