LV AL Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LV AL Auction

22 year AL only 4x4 league started in the college years at MSU. 9 teams. Drafted 4/8.
    Team finished first in '15, after a horrid start to the season, took over the lead at week 20, and coasted to my fifth league title.

This is our 17th season drafting in Las Vegas in the Mandalay sports book. Buckets of beer flowing all afternoon, along with periodic shots of Makers & Turkey, thanks to our usual waitress (the same girl has worked our draft day nearly every year since we've been there). It's a fun day.

I've found over the years that our league doesnt follow the standard mold, per se. The most noticeable difference is that established closers are valued very highly in this league – the top end available closers typically wind up north of $30, and mediocre (but entrenched) closers are usually in the mid to upper 20s. To my knowledge no team has ever won w/o competing in the saves category. The top end of inflation is not as extreme as some leagues, and the middle upper tiers tend to go at or above projected costs. The endgame produces absolute gems, if you're patient.

As an aside, in an effort to give my liver a well deserved break, I played the Sunday poker tourney at the Venetian, and won it just in time to catch my red eye flight (and I do mean just). I'm writing this after falling face first into the couch for about 7 hours upon arrival home.

Each year I do a quick and dirty post draft analysis on some scratch paper, and to date it's been wildly effective at being predictive of league finishes. This year's projection was not so kind to me, and I'm having difficulty determining why – I achieved most of my draft objectives and everything went according to plan, sans one notable outcome.

*designates keeper

C – Salty 1
    C – JR Murphy 1
    1 – Miggy* 40
    3 – Castellanos* 6
    CI – T. Frazier 27
    2 – J. Ramirez 1
    S – Desmond 21
    MI – Semien 10
    OF – Springer* 15
    OF – JD Martinez* 15
    OF – C. Davis* 26
    OF – A. Eaton* 9
    OF – B Buxton* 10
    DH – B. PAPI 1

Interesting note on Papi. A number of teams came into the draft with DH slot full. As the draft wore on, I kept eyeballing Papi & Vmart who were still undrafted, and more and more teams were losing the DH slot. It came down to a final two teams with DH eligibility – me, and the guy sitting next to me (last year's last place finisher). Mind you, this guy is a Boston native, and was WEARING an Ortiz jersey at the draft, and he's a known collector of Bosox players. Also, I was down to $1 only per player slot, and he still had a little cash. It was a forgone conclusion that he would get Ortiz, and he openly spoke about it. Until, that is, he put a $2 bid on Travis Shaw, and locked out his DH slot. Frankly, I'd have been ecstatic about getting a $1 Vmart on my already Tigers-laden lineup, it's fun to be able to watch your team every time you walk into a bar. But Papi was a nice surprise. The Boston guy, incidentally, was very bummed when he realized his mistake.

P – Carrasco* 10
    P – Stroman* 2
    P – Moore 2
    P – Kennedy 1
    P – Eovaldi 1
    P – T May 1
    P – S Dyson 1
    P – Chapman 27
    P- Kimbrel 32

As stated earlier – closers go for a premium in this league. Since I felt I had two solid top end SP on the cheap, I earmarked $60 for two, and I would have been fine if that meant Robertson & F Rod or whomever. To get who I considered the top 2 available was a bonus.

The staff is solidly anchored at the front & back end, with some decent speculative plays/values in between. Overall I am pleased and felt it went precisely according to plan.

I feel like the offense is loaded, if a little light on speed, and the pitching staff is adequately competitive. All with a lot of potential future value that can translate to trades if necessary.

I'm bullish on chances of defending the Title. What says the pen?
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Very nice team. Fantastic offense. You might be light on wins - I think you need another starter. Should be easy to find on the WW. I, too, would have aspirations of a title with this team.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

The only mistake I see is playing the tournament at venetian, next time try Aria

Comment

I really like your insane OF/CI. Though I have to say, I don't see a ton of "absolute gems" for $1 in a 9-team AL only. Other than Papi of course. That's a great story. Catchers are ugly and unless Buxton goes wild, you're probably light on speed. Power is insane but AVG might be light. Would really like to upgrade that Jose Ramirez spot. And maybe Desmond, but I know AL SS can be tricky. Maybe look into dealing one of your bombers (Davis, JDM, Papi) for Cano, or a bomber plus for Altuve.

Pretty WHIP risky back-end SPs (Moore, Kennedy, Eovaldi) but I love the wins potential and I love your bullpen.

Comment

Team does look very solid and I can't add anything other than:

That is so damn cool that your entire league travels to Vegas for the draft!!!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Yeah there are some issues.....but damn I wish I could have a team like that in an only league.
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
              The only mistake I see is playing the tournament at venetian, next time try Aria
              A sage bit of advice I can give from my 7 years as a semi-professional player: If you've played in a tournament and won it, you've chosen the right tournament.
              Seriously, though - Venetian runs a great room, and run their tournies very well. I'd say they, Aria & Wynn are the best rooms in town (for the casual player).

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                A sage bit of advice I can give from my 7 years as a semi-professional player: If you've played in a tournament and won it, you've chosen the right tournament.
                Seriously, though - Venetian runs a great room, and run their tournies very well. I'd say they, Aria & Wynn are the best rooms in town (for the casual player).
                But you get to meet ME at the Aria

Comment

Mid point check in
                  (not that anyone cares, but it's fun to assess)

After jockeying between the first 3-4 slots from April, finally seized 1st place in mid-June and havent looked back.

This team is FUN to own. The offense is on league record shattering pace for HR/RBI. They get saves and are surprisingly competitive in Ws & Whip.
                  And, a lot of local talent to watch nightly. It seems nary a day has gone by where this offense hasnt produced 3HRs, like clockwork.

I have a couple of irons in the fire for trades, but until I see differently, this is the team to beat and should be a dominant force next season as well.

Have picked up:
                  Moya for JDMart
                  Crisp for Buxton
                  Zunino for whoeverthatscrubcatcheridraftedwas

Outside of JDMart, this team has been very durable. Just a joy to own.

And this Papi guy... what a beast!

Current Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                  X