No announcement yet.

1st Pick in reserve draft..who to take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Pick in reserve draft..who to take?

AL only 12 team roto keeper 5x5 w/obp,s+h,Qs

Right now A.J. is who I would take, depending on my needs after the auction. Players taken in the reserve draft have a 3 yr contract (can be dropped after season) and salary of $15, but only $5 for the first year active. I have to be careful not to take a minor league guy who might not make an impact this year, because they not might make for a great keeper at $15. Top Minor league keepers usually start to be taken in the $10 rounds going down. A lot of left over active players from the draft are taken in the first few rounds along with impact minor leaguers that would help this year.

I kinda put the first few in order of what I think impact wise, but if you see I'm missing someone or should consider someone else, please let me know. If you could, I would appreciate ranking the top 5 in order or 10 if you can. I have the 1st, 11th and 13th picks in the first 2 rounds with 12 teams.

A.J. Reed*
    Dalton Pompey
    Tyler Skaggs
    James Paxton
    Drew Hutchinson
    Tyler Duffy
    Nick Tropeano
    Erik Johnson
    Matt Boyd
    Jesse Hahn
    Henry Owens
    Mike Clevinger
    T.J House
    Jorge Mateo* (huge stolen base potential)
    Max Kepler*
    Mike Mahtook
    Richie Schaffer
    Jurickson Profar
    Carlos Sanchez
    Jon Singleton
    Giovanni Urshela
    Darrell Ceciliani
    Kyle Zimmer*
    Roenis Ellias
    Wynton Bernard
    shawn O'Malley
    Chance Sisco*
    Sam Travis*
    Jorge Polanco
    Trey Mancini*
    Christian Walker
    Mike Zunino
    Steven Moya

Thanks for your input guys!

Take AJ Reed and spike the football.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The way is open for Reed to join the Astros in the first half. Top notch prospect, great situation.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Three for Reed, and it's not particularly close...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm not sure I follow your salary explanation. You said players have a $15 salary but then talked about $10 rounds. Is $15 just for the first round?
          Regardless of the rules, Reed is the obvious choice.

After that, it gets more challenging. I'd consider Pompey and Profar first among position players, though I'm not convinced either will have an impact this year. Might add James Loney to your list, depending on your rules.

I'd move injury risk Jesse Hahn way up your pitching list, which has plenty of interesting possibilities from Skaggs through Owens. I'd add the non-sexy Miguel Gonzalez to the group that could help this year, maybe Chi Chi too. I'd also be looking at prospect Jose Berrios early, if he's available.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
            I'm not sure I follow your salary explanation. You said players have a $15 salary but then talked about $10 rounds. Is $15 just for the first round?
            Regardless of the rules, Reed is the obvious choice.

After that, it gets more challenging. I'd consider Pompey and Profar first among position players, though I'm not convinced either will have an impact this year. Might add James Loney to your list, depending on your rules.

I'd move injury risk Jesse Hahn way up your pitching list, which has plenty of interesting possibilities from Skaggs through Owens. I'd add the non-sexy Miguel Gonzalez to the group that could help this year, maybe Chi Chi too. I'd also be looking at prospect Jose Berrios early, if he's available.
            Thanks to all who have replied. Good heads up for me on Looney and M.Gonzalez for this year. Barrios is kept on a team. M.Gonzalez was constantly near the top in quality starts the few years before last and we have QS's instead of wins. FYI our rnds go 1-2 $15, 3-6 $10, 7-10 $5 and 11-14 $2.

Comment

Originally posted by price View Post
              AL only 12 team roto keeper 5x5 w/obp,s+h,Qs

Right now A.J. is who I would take, depending on my needs after the auction. Players taken in the reserve draft have a 3 yr contract (can be dropped after season) and salary of $15, but only $5 for the first year active. I have to be careful not to take a minor league guy who might not make an impact this year, because they not might make for a great keeper at $15. Top Minor league keepers usually start to be taken in the $10 rounds going down. A lot of left over active players from the draft are taken in the first few rounds along with impact minor leaguers that would help this year.

I kinda put the first few in order of what I think impact wise, but if you see I'm missing someone or should consider someone else, please let me know. If you could, I would appreciate ranking the top 5 in order or 10 if you can. I have the 1st, 11th and 13th picks in the first 2 rounds with 12 teams.

A.J. Reed*
              Dalton Pompey
              Tyler Skaggs
              James Paxton
              Drew Hutchinson
              Tyler Duffy
              Nick Tropeano
              Erik Johnson
              Matt Boyd
              Jesse Hahn
              Henry Owens
              Mike Clevinger
              T.J House
              Jorge Mateo* (huge stolen base potential)
              Max Kepler*
              Mike Mahtook
              Richie Schaffer
              Jurickson Profar
              Carlos Sanchez
              Jon Singleton
              Giovanni Urshela
              Darrell Ceciliani
              Kyle Zimmer*
              Roenis Ellias
              Wynton Bernard
              shawn O'Malley
              Chance Sisco*
              Sam Travis*
              Jorge Polanco
              Trey Mancini*
              Christian Walker
              Mike Zunino
              Steven Moya

Thanks for your input guys!
              Normally, I lean toward starting pitchers in the first couple of reserve round picks but you have two hitters I like to contribute this season: pompey and reed. I can't see how saunders finally stays healthy for 550 at bats but I guess anything is possible. And at $15 for 2017, reed is awfully expensive speculation material. Skaggs and Hahn are pretty good choices also.

Let us know who you end up getting !

Comment

Working...
              X